Topic: Leonard Nimoy hints at possible return in Star Trek XI  (Read 9082 times)

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: Leonard Nimoy hints at possible return in Star Trek XI
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 09:59:05 pm »
Notice it doesn't just work on Humans.  Pinch any old species on the neck in that spot, and apparently it works. :(

Well, any creature with a head on his neck will have a nerve running from his brain either up to his head or down to his body.

If there's a wire, it can be shorted out.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 11:58:28 am »
Heh, expert on alien biology? ;)  For all we know there is a possability of alien life that may look like us, but they could be constructed completely different.  Maybe they don't even have nerves as we understand them.  Additionally, he pinches the meaty section between the shoulder and neck, not actually the neck, so there should be plenty of room for a species to not have any major nerve action in that area, I would think.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 06:18:25 pm »
the should not try a startrek XI, the last 2 or 3 startrek movies where bad, its not by adding spock that will make it good, its those moron who wright the story that should be remove or force them to view all the startrek episode and movies so the will not change facts from the startrek lifetime. :police:

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 06:40:43 pm »
Spock's not dead.  At last report he was on Romulus adding fuel to their Reunification effort's fire.  Besides, Vulcans are known to live well over 200 years (Sarek died at age 223), and since Spock is only about 130, even being half Human, he's got quite a bit of time left.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 09:38:32 am »
How old is Spock actually?  It is very hard to say.  What effect did the "cloning" on the Genesis planet have on his biological age and life expectancy?  They could easily have him regenerate to youth and grow up all over again with a look alike actor and blame appearance, voice and personality changes on the regeneration.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 01:13:54 am »
How old is Spock actually?  It is very hard to say.  What effect did the "cloning" on the Genesis planet have on his biological age and life expectancy?  They could easily have him regenerate to youth and grow up all over again with a look alike actor and blame appearance, voice and personality changes on the regeneration.

Maybe he'll put on a floppy hat and wear an extra long scarf.........

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 06:54:33 am »

Maybe he'll put on a floppy hat and wear an extra long scarf.........

-S'Cipio

If he adds the beautiful sidekick I could live with that.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 09:43:51 am »
This woudl be very cool. I hope they bring them back somehow.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 03:35:09 pm »
Heh, expert on alien biology? ;)  For all we know there is a possability of alien life that may look like us, but they could be constructed completely different.  Maybe they don't even have nerves as we understand them.  Additionally, he pinches the meaty section between the shoulder and neck, not actually the neck, so there should be plenty of room for a species to not have any major nerve action in that area, I would think.

True... but if you'll notice, Spock knows better than to try it on a Horta. :P

I don't think that he's so much using aq 'pressure point' on a nerve as he is actually using that strange psi-talent that all Vulcans seem to have to short things out by screwing with the body's electrochemical receptors.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 12:44:16 am »
And yet Data did it, and so did Archer.  Hmmm.  I'd love it to be a Vulcan only thing, but apparently somebody thought it would be cool to make everyone in the entire universe generic, and able to do everything everyone else can. :(

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 11:59:23 am »
And yet Data did it, and so did Archer.  Hmmm.  I'd love it to be a Vulcan only thing, but apparently somebody thought it would be cool to make everyone in the entire universe generic, and able to do everything everyone else can. :(

Bad.    Writing.

Best forgotten.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 11:54:49 pm »
Well, if they have him AND Shatner in it, and it's done as a flashback, I will DEFINATELY want to go see this one.

Shatner (Capt. Kirk) is DEAD !!!

Death is not a permanent state in science fiction.  ;D
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 06:29:44 am »
Well, if they have him AND Shatner in it, and it's done as a flashback, I will DEFINATELY want to go see this one.

Remember that there are TWO Guinans.  The one on the Enterprise E and the one in the Nexus.  Kirk died on the planet but his Nexus copy should still exist.  Which of course allows the potential for removing him from the nexus.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 09:18:16 pm »

Remember that there are TWO Guinans.  The one on the Enterprise E and the one in the Nexus.  Kirk died on the planet but his Nexus copy should still exist.  Which of course allows the potential for removing him from the nexus.

Do we really want to revisit that scene in Generations where Picard thinks Kirk just called him a dillweed? :P
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 09:13:15 am »
The "Vulcan" nerve pinch was explained, IIRC in an episode, as performable due to the typical advanced knowledge of anatomy and the enhanced strength that Vulcans posess.

Therefore, anyone with "Vulcan level" strength and the proper knowledge (Data) can perform the pinch, while no amount of training can teach the maneuver to a "comparative weakling" like all members of Humanity.

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 12:57:59 am »
I prefer the "Kzinti Nerve Pinch" it involves placing a paw along side the intended victim's neck, much like the Vulcan one.  However rather than applying strong and focused pressure upon a nerve it involves unsheathing the claws from that paw through the skin, through the nerve, and through the juggler.  Perhaps less subtle, but definately more effective.   ;D  One Human has been known to have been capable of this technique.