Poll

What type of disengagement rule would you like to see (if any)?

No Disengagement  rule at all
3 (7.9%)
Standard Rules
5 (13.2%)
Same as SGO6  (radius as well as hex PvP occured in)
10 (26.3%)
If Run, Disengage rule (Radius as well), If stay and lose, 1VP point but no Disengage rule *
20 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Topic: Storm Season III Disengagement Rule Poll  (Read 40551 times)

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
Re: Storm Season III Disengagement Rule Poll
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2006, 03:38:48 pm »
here is an idea for line ships that I'm just throwing out.

What if any pilot losing a "heavy metal ship" was allowed to return to the area in which he was killed without a disengagement penalty but only if they did so in a line ship. 

If the area was "hot" enough they might choose to do so. 

Interesting.. I like it but..
-Heavy Metal really isn't common enough for it to have a pronounced effect and specialty ships are so common
that it would render disengagement largely pointless around a hot hex.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2006, 03:46:46 pm »
heavy metal lossed have become so rare that this rule would just be silly.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2006, 03:57:23 pm »
heavy metal lossed have become so rare that this rule would just be silly.

Well it would give a player a reason to fly a line ship on the front.  It would be a rare occassion but not as rare as line ships have been on the front during the last few servers  ;)

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2006, 04:03:56 pm »
Here is another idea for you to encourge line ships/traditional enemies.

Use the map to create certain small areas that were off the main path but kinda between traditional foes with no embassy bases in the area.  Specialty ships and heavy metal would be banned from these areas and a VC target placed within them.  The resoning being that this was an "exploratory" area of space and prized specialty ships could not afford to be taken off the main front, but the resources of this area could help the war effort, so second class warships were assigned to bring these targets under empire control.  Most of these targets would likely be along neutral space on the map edges.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2006, 04:23:38 pm »
here is an idea for line ships that I'm just throwing out.

What if any pilot losing a "heavy metal ship" was allowed to return to the area in which he was killed without a disengagement penalty but only if they did so in a line ship. 

If the area was "hot" enough they might choose to do so. 

Interesting.. I like it but..
-Heavy Metal really isn't common enough for it to have a pronounced effect and specialty ships are so common
that it would render disengagement largely pointless around a hot hex.
I had suggested that line ships need not follow the disengagement rule when attacked by non-line ships some time back in this thread as an inducement to flying them.  Tool said interesting and that's about as far as it got.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2006, 06:01:04 pm »

- This system forces players to fly line IF THEY WANT TO SCORE PVP POINTS and that's it. Anyone can still fly a specialty and run someone off
  Anyone can fly a specialty and flip hexes- both of which on past servers have had FAR more impact than PVP engagements.

There you go...using the "F" word again...

Yes it's the direction *I'd* like to see them go. But that direction has been determined by listening to players complaining about the specialty ships.
"The community" for the most part I'd say agrees with this- I think overall there's more support than resistance to the idea, aside from a vocal few.
Now- those vocal few (I call them "Crim"  ;D ) raise excellent points.
Do we change a system that "works" to something that will (I think) improve the fun of the game for most (I'll call it 51%) but penalizes dedicated players like Crim?
I'd like to try it- but I also don't want to lose him as a player, so am more than happy to try and find a way to keep him happy.

I never said I wouldnt play ;)

(I'm pretty sure he killed me as a Rom once though- so not sure I believe his D5D stories..)

Nope...I have never flown rommie on any server...I hate plasma.....flying a plasma boat is Crimmy torture #4...one reason I never flew on 4 powers war...

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2006, 06:50:31 pm »

Nope...I have never flown rommie on any server...I hate plasma.....flying a plasma boat is Crimmy torture #4...one reason I never flew on 4 powers war...

I wouldn't call flying a plasma boat exactly tortue....Flying a plasma boat against another live player in a plasma boat, now getting there, being stuck on the Gorn/Rom border doing it repeatedly now thats torture.    ;D

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2006, 07:20:46 pm »
Torture is you vs Dfly both in plasma boats.

762_XC

« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2006, 07:25:01 pm »
Torture is two plasma boats period.

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2006, 07:50:24 pm »
OK, here's another random sleep-deprived question: what would be the implications of having a server where there were a ton of resupply points but only one or two places per empire where you could purchase ships?  E.g. suppose you could resupply in any of your empire's shipping lane hexes, but each empire only had a couple of bases/planets a long way from the front. 

(Resupply in shipping lanes would happen by having a 15-second mission that didn't draft anyone, didn't have any combat, and didn't affect dv - it simply restocked your ship, charged you for the supplies, then ended.)

dave

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2006, 09:39:54 pm »
OK, here's another random sleep-deprived question: what would be the implications of having a server where there were a ton of resupply points but only one or two places per empire where you could purchase ships?  E.g. suppose you could resupply in any of your empire's shipping lane hexes, but each empire only had a couple of bases/planets a long way from the front. 

(Resupply in shipping lanes would happen by having a 15-second mission that didn't draft anyone, didn't have any combat, and didn't affect dv - it simply restocked your ship, charged you for the supplies, then ended.)

dave

Realistic....no empire would place ship building facilties far from the core of their territory....too tempting a target....

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2006, 09:55:14 pm »
Cool
But problematic if you could flip an enemy supply lane deep in their territory and resup from it.
Although server rules would likely prevent it, I simply don't trust anyone.

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2006, 10:00:41 pm »

2-All non-PvP pilots(pretty much everyone else, noob or not) can use larger(not like Chutt or Soreyes or flippers ever will)

And what was I flying the last time I watched you make top speed for the border?  And what was I flying the last time I turned your ship into space dust?  Perhaps you'd like to rethink that last statement  ;)

Sure I spend alot of time in smaller ships, droners and others, they are usually among my favorites for the race I'm flying.  The only races with CA classes I like as much as the CLs are Feds, Roms, and Lyrans.  The only races where I like the BCHs better than the CAs are Roms and Lyrans, and their is no race where I prefer ships bigger than a BCH.  I will fly a non-preferred ship if the need arrises but generally stay in the ships I like best or are best for my purpose, is this wrong?  Not a chance.

Chutt, you better refresh my memory then, because I never died by you this server.  The only one I remember was the previous server, where you and I met only once, and you lost your ship.  Perhaps it was someone else?

Also, I just suggested your name as an example.  IT could represent anyone who can decide not to use bigger ships is all.

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2006, 10:38:02 pm »
Torture is you vs Dfly both in plasma boats.

Actually torture would involve being on the sameTS channel with Dizzy during this  ;D

762_XC

« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2006, 10:43:26 pm »
No torture is being on the same channel as DH and I during a PvP.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2006, 11:36:12 pm »
I must be a glutton for punishment then....

Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2006, 01:09:16 am »

Chutt, you better refresh my memory then, because I never died by you this server.  The only one I remember was the previous server, where you and I met only once, and you lost your ship.  Perhaps it was someone else?

Ooops!  I thought it was Hexx who had posted that, my bad.  Just with that Lyran avatar you resembled Hexx, now go back to flying Gorn so I wont make the same mistake again  ;D

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2006, 01:12:37 am »
No torture is being on the same channel as DH and I during a PvP.

Only if Bearslayer was involved as well and calling the fight from that microphone of his  :skeptic:

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2006, 01:16:42 am »

dave

the problem with this as I see it, is that it would make mission times even more a factor.  A Gorn, for example can't run mission times as fast as a mirak in general but is less reliant on resupply.  If resupply is more readily available the mirak (and other races using lots of expendibles) will gain a further hex flipping advantage.  Allowing for resupply of spare parts only would be more fair IMHO.

Now what might be cool is allowing each side to place a few secret "supply depositories"  these would do what you said but be very limited in number.  The other side would have no idea where they were unless they happened to capture them, or they carefully monitored the news for activity in what would seem to be a non-vital hex. they would also be immune from the risk of destruction unlike a base.  These secret supply areas wouldn't allow you to get a new ship but they could repair and restock your currnet one.

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2006, 01:44:51 am »

Ooops!  I thought it was Hexx who had posted that, my bad.  Just with that Lyran avatar you resembled Hexx, now go back to flying Gorn so I wont make the same mistake again  ;D

Odd... I also don't recall having fought you on any recent server.. since I've probably only PVPed about 20 times over the last three you'd think I would..

Perhaps another case of mistaken identity?( I know the tags "quote from dfly" can easily be mistaken "quote from Hexx" )

Or mayhaps the delusions of grandeur you and your drone chucking brethern have always had are interspacing themselves with reality...  :P