Poll

What type of disengagement rule would you like to see (if any)?

No Disengagement  rule at all
3 (7.9%)
Standard Rules
5 (13.2%)
Same as SGO6  (radius as well as hex PvP occured in)
10 (26.3%)
If Run, Disengage rule (Radius as well), If stay and lose, 1VP point but no Disengage rule *
20 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Topic: Storm Season III Disengagement Rule Poll  (Read 40575 times)

Offline GDA-Agave

• That's MR. Planet Battering Ram to you buddy!!
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
  • Fear my tequila breath!!!
Re: Storm Season III Disengagement Rule Poll
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:07 am »

Carrot or stick....I'd prefer carrot...

Like I said....a reward for the line flyer is better than a penalty for the special...make a kill with a liner worth double.....

That alone should be incentive enough to get a few aces into them...And since a specialty is worth double when killed by a liner....some people will downsize to avoid giving up double points...

The liner gets a bonus...while at the same time....the special doesnt get a penalty...

:goodpost:

Excellent!!  Everyone has the ability to score PvP VC pts, and is encouraged try a line ship so that they can increase what points they could gain for any PvP kills.   As long as the PvP pts gained are more than the standard kill, whether doubled or 150%, this seemed like the best system presented yet (sorry Hexx).

Agave
One of the few, the proud, THE GORN!!
Gorn Dragon Alliance - Protecting Ghdar and the Bruce Way!

Gorn Dragon Templar
"Protecting the roads to Brucedom for all travelers of faith"

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2006, 09:21:40 am »

Strangely enough, so does Kroma . . .
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2006, 09:26:51 am »
 OK, I have read points about PVP, about noobs,about victory's counting and not counting,and about just about everything else in the book, everything but the one thing that counts and that is bridging the rift between the players that like the disengagement rule and the ones that don't and the great possibility of bringing back some of the ones that have stopped playing because of the rule. because my friends you can have all the rules and strategy's and tactics and the best game in the world but it doesn't mean a damn thing if there is no one around to play the thing.

and I for one am very tired of seeing people leave because of stupid arguments over this rule and that rule, lets just try to reach a point where we can all have fun.

Offline GDA-Agave

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2006, 10:05:15 am »
OK, I have read points about PVP, about noobs,about victory's counting and not counting,and about just about everything else in the book, everything but the one thing that counts and that is bridging the rift between the players that like the disengagement rule and the ones that don't and the great possibility of bringing back some of the ones that have stopped playing because of the rule. because my friends you can have all the rules and strategy's and tactics and the best game in the world but it doesn't mean a damn thing if there is no one around to play the thing.

and I for one am very tired of seeing people leave because of stupid arguments over this rule and that rule, lets just try to reach a point where we can all have fun.

Very true.   Having fun is the most important goal.   We are also attempting to create a "fair play" gaming environment AND continue to challenge those players who do still fly continuously.   Granted, we don't always discuss things in a very tactful way (me included), but it does show we still care very much for this game.   Its nice that we can bring so many different people together through this game.   Even if it is only to have a heated discussion over a ship BPV or current rule.

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2006, 10:05:55 am »

Like I said....a reward for the line flyer is better than a penalty for the special...make a kill with a liner worth double.....

That alone should be incentive enough to get a few aces into them...And since a specialty is worth double when killed by a liner....some people will downsize to avoid giving up double points...

The liner gets a bonus...while at the same time....the special doesnt get a penalty...

Excellent!!  Everyone has the ability to score PvP VC pts, and is encouraged try a line ship so that they can increase what points they could gain for any PvP kills.   As long as the PvP pts gained are more than the standard kill, whether doubled or 150%, this seemed like the best system presented yet (sorry Hexx).

Agave

No need for apologies  ;D

But -you're wrong.
All it comes down to is is ace pilot #1 concerned that he might get jumped by ace pilot #2 while ace pilot #2 is flying a better ship.
Pleyers will forgo the opportunity to score 2 or possibly 3/ (whatever) pvp points to guarantee their side a better chance at a "sure thing"- a 1VP
victory. It differs from race to race and matchup to matchup (of course), but there is a big enough difference early between CF's/droners and line ships, and later between PF tenders (for example) and line ships that anyone looking to scoew kills will go teh safe route and grab teh specialty.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline GDA-Agave

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2006, 11:42:35 am »

Agave

No need for apologies  ;D

But -you're wrong.
All it comes down to is is ace pilot #1 concerned that he might get jumped by ace pilot #2 while ace pilot #2 is flying a better ship.
Pleyers will forgo the opportunity to score 2 or possibly 3/ (whatever) pvp points to guarantee their side a better chance at a "sure thing"- a 1VP
victory. It differs from race to race and matchup to matchup (of course), but there is a big enough difference early between CF's/droners and line ships, and later between PF tenders (for example) and line ships that anyone looking to scoew kills will go teh safe route and grab teh specialty.

Yes and no.   

Yes, a 1VP point would be assured for any kills.   For those players would are ok with that they would fly whatever ship they feel they have the best chance of getting those "sure thing" points with;

No, I don't think this idea would push players to "go the safe route", but encourage players to try and fight more PvP matches in line ships where the potential for glory and more VPs is higher.   I mean that is the goal, right?   To have more PvP fought with line ships.   Or have I missed the point all-together? 
(possible, but unlikely  :P )

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2006, 12:13:34 pm »
If ANY VC points at all can be scored in a Specialty ship, "ace" pilots will still fly them.

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2006, 12:24:48 pm »

No, I don't think this idea would push players to "go the safe route", but encourage players to try and fight more PvP matches in line ships where the potential for glory and more VPs is higher.   I mean that is the goal, right?   To have more PvP fought with line ships.   Or have I missed the point all-together? 
(possible, but unlikely  :P )

LOL, no you haven't missed the point
You have (apprently) missed the last 50 or so servers  :P
Generally speaking- Players aren't after individual glory (well I am) as much as wanting to have their team win.
Your team wins by you flying the safest route- and that happens to be the specialty ships.

Again (most) of the specialty ships let you do 2 things- run fast missions AND dominate PVP.
Since no one is 100% sure on what they're going to encounter-or what the other guy is going to be flying- the easiest
(and best for your team) ship is going to be the specialty.
-No early line ship can really compete with the best of the specialties in early, and any line ship in late will get owned by the
specialties in that frame.
Any player flying a line boat jumped by an equally skilled player flying a specialty is going to be at a disadvantage in PVP.
Most of them won't do it.

EDIT- And that's not a bad thing- really they're being a teamplayer.

Offline GDA-Agave

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2006, 12:51:58 pm »
So, because our players will not "voluntarily" fly these line ships, you want to create a rule that "forces" players to fly a line ship to gain PvP pts.   No thanks.  You could be creating a rule that dramatically reduces the amount of VP gained through PvP matches.   Have you thought about that?

If fact, I'll take this a step further.  (yes, I know the SFB purists are doing to hate me for this)   It sounds like to me that you can maybe start taking some of these "line ships" out of the shiplist if no one "voluntarily" flys them.   Some might say, "no, you can't do that, the variety of the line ships should be left in", and that is exactly my point about why speciality ships should not be so restricted.  Hey, I'm fully aware of how they affect the map.  But it sounds to me like majority has already spoken, but the "line ship" idea supporters are trying to give the future rule sets all a gentle *nug* in the direction that they want them to go, not the community. 

Agave

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2006, 01:21:59 pm »
So, because our players will not "voluntarily" fly these line ships, you want to create a rule that "forces" players to fly a line ship to gain PvP pts.   No thanks.  You could be creating a rule that dramatically reduces the amount of VP gained through PvP matches.   Have you thought about that?

If fact, I'll take this a step further.  (yes, I know the SFB purists are doing to hate me for this)   It sounds like to me that you can maybe start taking some of these "line ships" out of the shiplist if no one "voluntarily" flys them.   Some might say, "no, you can't do that, the variety of the line ships should be left in", and that is exactly my point about why speciality ships should not be so restricted.  Hey, I'm fully aware of how they affect the map.  But it sounds to me like majority has already spoken, but the "line ship" idea supporters are trying to give the future rule sets all a gentle *nug* in the direction that they want them to go, not the community. 

Agave

OK one more time (with feeling?? where have I heard that before.. anyway)

- Players say they want to fly line ships, but can't because their opposites may fly specialties
- Players will fly specialties **even against personal preference** if it helps their team win.
- New players join up, find the best players flying the best ships, and try to jump in and compete, and get utterly annihilated
get disheartened, and leave.
- This system forces players to fly line IF THEY WANT TO SCORE PVP POINTS and that's it. Anyone can still fly a specialty and run someone off
  Anyone can fly a specialty and flip hexes- both of which on past servers have had FAR more impact than PVP engagements.
-A system of "well let's all be friends" doesn't work.- The "serious" servers are competitive- look no farther than some of teh stupid fllamewars we've had between
 "coalition" and "Alliance". Like it or not, agree with it or not- it's there. If you let people score PVP points in the best ships, they will.

Now- the system proposed HAS to be agreed upon by most of those it effects. Will it be 100%? No. I don't think we've ever had a unamimous consensus on, well anything.
If the majority say they don't want it, that's fine. All we can really do is (if it's decided on) put up a server and see how it works.

As far as I'm concerned treating some of the specialty ships as capital ships (as Dizzy threw out) alleviates most of the concerns that I'm personally interested in.
People will still fly the specialties, but they can't fleet up.

But it sounds to me like majority has already spoken, but the "line ship" idea supporters are trying to give the future rule sets all a gentle *nug* in the direction that they want them to go, not the community. 

Not even close, not even arguable
Yes it's the direction *I'd* like to see them go. But that direction has been determined by listening to players complaining about the specialty ships.
"The community" for the most part I'd say agrees with this- I think overall there's more support than resistance to the idea, aside from a vocal few.
Now- those vocal few (I call them "Crim"  ;D ) raise excellent points.
Do we change a system that "works" to something that will (I think) improve the fun of the game for most (I'll call it 51%) but penalizes dedicated players like Crim?
I'd like to try it- but I also don't want to lose him as a player, so am more than happy to try and find a way to keep him happy.
(I'm pretty sure he killed me as a Rom once though- so not sure I believe his D5D stories..)

Anyway- like all my ideas it's simply something I'd like to see tried, the theory (I believe) is sound, but would have to be tried on a live server.
May work
May not.

Offline GDA-Agave

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »
Okey - doekey.

I understand your points, and I hope you have thought about mine.  I'll just wait and see.   I've already become more involved in this discussion than I ever wanted to be.   :)

Time to sit back and watch see what future admins come up with.

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2006, 02:56:56 pm »
What if . . .

Getting kills in a LINE ship is the ONLY way to obtain a Legendary crew?

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2006, 03:12:15 pm »
What if . . .

Doesn't really address the need of some players to be assigned Legendary DN crews to keep the ship for more than a day.

Actually- I'll edit my brilliant,yet subtle shot at t00l.

Wouldn't solve the problem, 50% of the legendary ships were lost on the server in the first 24 hours.
Obviously (in early anyway) they're simply not superior enough over a specialty ship to be of any real advantage.

What if.. (ah such a great series) there were VP points awarded at the end of a server for "long serving crews"
You could fly the line boats for a time (say.. 5 years) of game time. Server starts in 63 you have to fly and earn so much prestige
/have so many PVP kills/forced disengagements before 68 to get legendary ship #1. That ship continues until 73/75 when you get
Legendary upgrade ship (CB type) Then have to again accumulate X amount of prestige/PVP sucess.. success.. hmm
before the server end.
if you can keep a ship for this entire process your side gains XX VP points

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2006, 03:24:09 pm »
What if . . .

Interesting idea but I don't like it.  The reason being that if you strart rewarding the "aces" who are capable of pulling of this feat with an additional PvP bonus in the form of legendary officers then you tilt the PvP advantage even further in the favor of the "ace", at the expense of the non-ace

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2006, 03:24:50 pm »

Wouldn't solve the problem, 50% of the legendary ships were lost on the server in the first 24 hours.
Obviously (in early anyway) they're simply not superior enough over a specialty ship to be of any real advantage.

t00l flying while drunk tells us nothing!!!   :P

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2006, 03:26:44 pm »

Well ... has he ever flown when sober?

I kinda assumed for the baseline...

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2006, 03:27:08 pm »

What if.. (ah such a great series) there were VP points awarded at the end of a server for "long serving crews"
You could fly the line boats for a time (say.. 5 years) of game time. Server starts in 63 you have to fly and earn so much prestige
/have so many PVP kills/forced disengagements before 68 to get legendary ship #1. That ship continues until 73/75 when you get
Legendary upgrade ship (CB type) Then have to again accumulate X amount of prestige/PVP sucess.. success.. hmm
before the server end.
if you can keep a ship for this entire process your side gains XX VP points

Something like that.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2006, 03:29:01 pm »

he sure as hell wasn't sober when he suggested we over-run 3 castling plasma ships :)

Well ... has he ever flown when sober?

I kinda assumed for the baseline...

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2006, 03:35:18 pm »
here is an idea for line ships that I'm just throwing out.

What if any pilot losing a "heavy metal ship" was allowed to return to the area in which he was killed without a disengagement penalty but only if they did so in a line ship. 

If the area was "hot" enough they might choose to do so. 

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2006, 03:35:33 pm »
Yes I know it was kinda incomprehensible.. the opportunity to bash t00l always makes me lose focus.

Anyway- yes, I don't see a problem with some sort of system that lets a player choose to try and
keep one ship (essentially) through the course of a server, (which is I assume the goal) as long as there is
some reward if they manage to do it.

Of course once the Legendary ship was assigned there would have to be a prestige minimum (so the ship was flown) and a PVP goal of some sort set (so it wasn't just used to rack up hex flipping)