Topic: The Fallout Front?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
The Fallout Front?
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:17:49 pm »
Does anyone know about any games in the post apocalyptic/rpg'ish style of Fallout and Fallout 2?

I know of a few fan made mods still in progress but they seem to be grinding to a halt. I'd love to see that series revisited in an "ultimate" edition which adds more detail to the journey.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: The Fallout Front?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:45:50 pm »
I know you can Pickup Wasteland on the abandonware scene, but even with Mo-slo, and dosbox, It still runs mach 12.

bethesda last I heard has the workings for Fallout 3 out there. But It will be from a First person perspective.

Another old one, If you can find it, is Septerra Core. It's kinda a fun RPG, once you get used to the odd control layout.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:33:24 pm »
I'll look up Septerra Core, thanks.

It's really strange that in the Post nuclear genre there are only three games, Fallout Fallout2 and Wasteland (which is nearly 20 yrs old) <-I heard about this one from the Underdogs website

Talk about untapped settings :huh:
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 05:23:09 pm »
That's true. Oh yeah, Might try out Fallout Tactics. It's an OK game in that Genre.

I wish there where more games out there dealing with this. There was a psuedo sequal to wasteland, but I can't remember the name to save my life.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 06:03:42 pm »
There are some RTS games that deal with situations similar to that, but you might not like htose if you are looking for an RPG.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 08:50:01 pm »
Yeah no but thanks anyways Dash, RTS games usually wind up being C&C or AOE clones, if these are different though let me know.

I've just been in a nuke mode lately, I've seen a prerelease of the new show "Jericho" , watched "Night of the Comet" and "The Day After"<-a movie from the 80's that's about people dealing with the days following a nuclear war and direct attack close enough to their town to cause damage and fallout

There's a fan site called "No mutants allowed" which does fallout mods
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:28:36 pm »
I checked out the Septerra Core website, it's a little too Final Fantasy for me.

I really like the bleakness of Fallout just feel the towns were a little too empty, I kept getting the "Oh new town to explore!" followed by "What that was it?" vibes from 1.

I haven't completed 2 yet but I've had so many aborted attempts at it that I'm trying to wait until memories of the areas and plot fade before trying again.

Fallout: Tactics looks good from video clips I've seen and I'll try it, I just hope it isn't all combat combat combat.
Does anyone know if it has a decent story line to it?
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 09:02:25 am »
I wish there where more games out there dealing with this. There was a psuedo sequal to wasteland, but I can't remember the name to save my life.

Fountain of Dreams.  It lost me with the Killer Clowns.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 01:40:22 pm »
It's more aliens than mutants, but the X-Com games were pretty fun.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 04:17:07 pm »
The Fall - Last Days of Gaia
http://www.the-fall.com/

Has anyone heard of this one?

It's influenced by the Mad Max movies in it's style according to the site

It looks great and is reviewed everywhere but I can't find it at all.

(update:)
OOPS Nevermind, had to hunt through a dozen forums to find that this was never released outside Europe.
Although there is a fan made english translation for the Polish version if someone knows where to find that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 04:59:37 pm by Vipre »
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,