Topic: NWN 2  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
NWN 2
« on: August 24, 2006, 02:04:04 am »
Never Winter Nights 2 comes out in Oct.

If you buy it I recoomend the Limited Edition since it comes with some nice features:

Limited Edition Content:
- A powerful new feat called Blessed of Waukeen, which will generate +1 bonus to all saving throws,
- Two special items
- Access to a unique weapon
- A magical golden aura which lights above your character
- Cloth map showing in-game locations
- Book of art, depicting characters and scenes from the game
- Two silver antique rings: Good & Evil

And its only $10 more then the non-limited edition.

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
Re: NWN 2
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 06:40:10 am »
I assume these bonus features will only apply to single player campaigns?

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:41:56 am »
I was so annoyed by their NWN expansions that required an Internet connection to work that I'm not sure if I'll give them anymore money.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 08:55:14 am »
I assume these bonus features will only apply to single player campaigns?

Not likely, if it is anything like Guild Wars those (or at least most of those) features will be in multiplayer as well.  In fact the only thing that I would consider unfair would be the special feat.  The unique weapons that they give out doesn't probably won't be the best weapons in the game.  I can't wait for NVN 2 and will probably pick it up the day it comes out.  Heck the cloth map will be worth the extra $10 by itself, I hate those paper maps that Guild Wars has in their guidebooks.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 10:29:18 am »
I was so annoyed by their NWN expansions that required an Internet connection to work that I'm not sure if I'll give them anymore money.

Which? The ones that you have to DL from the site?

All the expansions I have are the HotU and SoU- the others were simply too short to worry about.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 10:56:34 am »

Which? The ones that you have to DL from the site?

All the expansions I have are the HotU and SoU- the others were simply too short to worry about.

The ones that were downloaded from the site were the only ones that required a Internet connection every time you played.  SoU and HotU never required a Internet connection.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 11:38:15 am »
SoU and HotU never required a Internet connection.

Yeah, I know- those are the ones that I have. ;)
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 02:48:55 pm »
About a year back, I grabbed the Diamond which had two of there Paytoplay mods with it. The only other one I bought was Infinite dungeons. It's ok, for the hack and slash gamer in you.

Alot of the mods though have went directly to the vault, since Atari pulled the plug on them. I tell ya, I don't know what Atari's thinking with NWN2 . No DM mode, Pulled the ridable horses, after a Premerre modual for NWN1 got pulled. 

Oh well there's still the CEP guys out there.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:55:38 pm »

Exactly... I just hope this version of NWN is as a mod'er friendly...
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 03:57:29 pm »

Exactly... I just hope this version of NWN is as a mod'er friendly...

Well if they pulled the DM mode, I have to question how easy it will be to mod.  Part of me wonders if they are going to focus on a multiplayer aspect since they are giving out cloth maps with the deluxe edition.  If they focus on multiplayer then I would think that they wouldn't want it to be modded very much.  But then who knows...  I guess when it hits the store shelves.   :huh:

I'm still guardedly excited about the release though, at the very least it should be a fun single-player game.  I'd still like to have rideable horses though but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 04:23:20 pm »
Dropped the DM mode?

You mean, like the Toolset form NWN 1?

You gotta be kidding. If that's the case, the game won't even be worth buying. >:(

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 05:20:44 pm »
Oh no no no Jaime. The toolset is there, from what I hear better then ever. The DM mode for online play. Like persistant worlds. They left out the client for an online DM.

The client allowed for one or more people to act just like a DM in the P&P.

I'll be waiting for reviews from you guys before I try and get a copy myself. Also, from what I hear , they have tweaked the death system, to where there is no True final death. I just don't care for that, the idea, that no matter what I do, I can't die and have to start over from a save.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 06:08:29 pm »
That was also a major point that is disappointing, they shouldn't have dropped the DM mode.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 10:28:18 pm »
Yeah. Loosing the DM mode will kill online play quite a bit- but I don't play it online much so that's cool. Since they now have D&D online, however, I don't see them wanting people to be albe to play NWN2 online for free.

As long as the toolset is there and some enterprising individuals will write stories for single-player mode (and so I can cheat and start out with a Lvl 3 character) then I'll say it's worth the money and get it.

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 10:19:32 am »
Well I pretty much play NWN for the multiplayer aspect, some great modules out there and plenty of fun to be had on some servers. I am a DM myself on a public server, and we have plans to run a server also when NWN 2 comes out.

Concerning the DM Client if you check here http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewdevposts.html?topic=481529&forum=95  Feargus Urquhart developer at Obsidian released a statement concerning the DM client.

If you don't have a Bioware forum account this is what was posted:

"So, this week we're going to try and load you up with information to help clear the air and set the record straight on a few things. The first being the DM Client. The DM client will not ship with the game in the box. We looked at a number of different scenarios and the best one that the team decided upon is to release the DM Client in full as a download the same day of the release. So while it will not ship in the box it will come out with the game. That's the official word as of today."

The issue is this was posted on the 18th may 2006, there has been no clear cut statements since then on whether this was still the plans or not. Further confusion has been added by an Atari official saying there will be no DM client for NWN 2. I assume this statement by the Atari official wasn't clear enough and he or she actually meant that it wont come with the box, but will be available at a later date thus tying in with Feargus's statement. Though I could be wrong…

I think a DM client will be released ready for download some time after the game has been released, perhaps a week or two. With no DM client they would get a major backlash from the community.

I wish Atari or Obsidian would give us an update on what is actually going on. ::)

If it turns out there are no plans to release a DM client, i won't be buying the game or any future expansions.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 12:24:50 pm »
That's def. Some good news then Grim, If they at least get it out there to the public.

Stephen

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 02:53:55 pm »
Nice, but why announce that you will patch the game on the day of release already when they could simply just toss it in right now?  Afterall unless the game has already gone gold, there shouldn't be any reason why it's harder to do that then now.

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 11:49:30 am »
Hey Dash, can we count on your dad again to figure out the Console codes?

I came across this this morning, and thought It might give us a chuckle or two...

Stephen

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 12:43:43 pm »
It was actually my uncle, but probably not this time around.  Whilst I'm off at the University, he plans on going overseas I believe, so he's going to not be around and be on business.  Who knows, mayhaps after his releasing codes for NWN, and helping/prompting them to be released for KOTOR games, Bioware has decided somehow under the table that he needs to be out of office when they release their games from now on. (he has a short stick and gets sick of people always asking for them from what I've seen, so he just goes ahead and hopes they shut up...)

He doesn't work for Bioware just for the record though, so they probably didn't have anything to do with it.  It's still kind of humorous how this one is working out.  However I'm almost positive you'll have "some"of the codes within a week of release.

Who knows though, mayhaps he'll find a way...but as far as I know right now, he'll be going overseas.

Funny video though.

-------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006, 12:59:41 pm »
Sorry about that, When you said Uncle, It clicked. Still Props to him of course.

Is he helping with KOTOR 2? you know the content that wasn't released due to Release schedules?

Stephen

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2006, 03:20:12 pm »
I know of the content, but a lot of it wasn't even done and was dropped before even being done, so you only have outlines and other items for it.

There is some other content that has been left in, from what I understand a few people are trying to incorporate it back into the game in an unofficial mod of their own.

-------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 04:18:07 pm »
I have kinda touched base with those trying With Kotor; the Adding the Robot/Droid Planet for example.
To this day, I feel sorry for Ann, who's hubby worked on this project. It was still excellent work IMHO, Just like Pnuemonics work with the original Ds add on and DS 2.

Stephen

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 09:50:30 pm »
My copy is reserved... how about ya'll?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 11:38:26 pm »
I haven't pre-ordered yet, But It's till the first of the month (well ok the second).

I figure, I'll Risk life and limb one more time around the 15th, and make the trip into town, and Pre-order about $500.00 bucks worth of Games, consoles, etc. Hell, I'm even thinking about picking up that DS thingamijig, for the new ST game.

Stephen

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 06:49:03 am »
Going to wait until there is more clarification on the DM client before i decide whether or not to buy.

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 06:08:03 pm »
already pre-ordered the last limited edition box the store in my area had. (according to 4 of the stores in my area, they are selling through the limited edition boxes fast.)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 11:08:53 pm »
Looks like NWN2 is made for Windows XP only.  That means I won't be getting it.  Too bad.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 11:13:25 pm »
C;mon Nem, I know you dislike Microsoft, But If I can give NWN a chance, I know you can also.

If not I'll have to drag your Canadian Butt down here and Put linux on all my systems. I figure if you can talk the talk...  ;D ;D ;D

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 06:44:31 am »
C;mon Nem, I know you dislike Microsoft, But If I can give NWN a chance, I know you can also.

If not I'll have to drag your Canadian Butt down here and Put linux on all my systems. I figure if you can talk the talk...  ;D ;D ;D

Stephen

So long as they have the activation nonsense, the WGA spyware and continually engage in illegal acts I have no desire to buy their software.  You wouldn't want me to support an organization that engages in criminal acts and abuses their customers now would you?

Try Ubuntu Linux.  Its a Live CD, which means that though you can install Ubuntu normally you can also run it directly from the CD without removing or otherwise affecting the other OS on your system.  It is also configured more as a Windows replacement which is useful for novices.

It unfortunate the Atari chose not to support other operating systems as was done with NWN1.  They cut off a small but growing market segment, including me.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 01:45:58 pm »
Proof of Microsofts Evil Ways and plans to take over

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 02:51:48 am »
so where's the cool link...?  I thought Buiwhere was out of the picture...ughhhh

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 03:17:59 am »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 06:30:41 am »
so where's the cool link...?  I thought Buiwhere was out of the picture...ughhhh

the BioWare Aurora EngineTM, which will power the upcoming Neverwinter Nights 2 from Obsidian Entertainment and Atari

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 09:22:08 pm »
It looks like NWN2 works on Win2K Pro.  So I may get it in a few weeks.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 01:20:08 am »

IMHO save your money.  At least wait until it has some patches to help the game out a little (well maybe a whole lot).  As it stands now I really don't think it's worth the money.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 06:42:09 pm »

IMHO save your money.  At least wait until it has some patches to help the game out a little (well maybe a whole lot).  As it stands now I really don't think it's worth the money.

If I mention in the right ears that it works on Win2K I can put pretty good odds on being given it as a Christmas gift so it wouldn't be my money.  That was already the plan as until Christmas and certain other things are over and done with I won't have the time for gaming anyhow.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2006, 08:29:41 pm »
If I mention in the right ears that it works on Win2K I can put pretty good odds on being given it as a Christmas gift so it wouldn't be my money.  That was already the plan as until Christmas and certain other things are over and done with I won't have the time for gaming anyhow.

As predicted I was given NWN2 and I then immediately pulled out the NWN2 World Builders guide I had already bought to go with it.  :)

I may install Tuesday night or Wednesday depending on how other things go.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2006, 11:21:09 pm »
Installed it yesterday just got it functioning.  Now to download the 115 mb patch on dialup again.