Taldrenites > General Starfleet Command Forum

SFC3.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module d3d8.dll

<< < (2/4) > >>

LogicSequence:
i'm aware of the proper loading and patching proceedure, i've done it numerous times before.  And i know to disable visual themes as well.  which i did... i beleive i put that in my origional post.  As far as i know i've done everything correctly.

I'm worried it has to do with my 64bit operating system (windows xp pro x64).  But i don't know what to do about it?  or perhaps its a directX issue... does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Has anyone played SFC3 on a 64bit system?  Does SFC3 cr@p itself on dual core computers?

Bonk:
Oops, missed that you already tried disabling visual themes.

I'm not aware of any people running SFC3 on a 64 bit OS. Though there is someone around here running OP on one I think. Ya, its LordKrueg... he might have some tips for you?

64 bit processors provide memory addressing for up to 17,179,869,184 gigabytes. (Limitied practically to less by the OS used) They are intended for extreme server and supercomputing applications. I have no idea why the home consumer market was convinced they needed them for some reason.  :huh:

For HP Superdomes and whatnot I can see the uses but in the home? <baffled>

If you have a 32 bit machine and OS available I'd use that, you certainly don't need a 64 bit system to play SFC3.

LogicSequence:
um, trust me, this machine wasn't built to play SFC3 sir.  I'm a digital animator by profession, i deal with graphic design, 3d modeling, and texturing.  And it's also my gaming rig.  Besides, i have too much memory for a 32bit OS to fully utilize.  i just happen to want to get SFC3 to work so i can play it.  And my machine isn't a simple 32bit machine.  Core 2 Duo's are built for 64bits baby ;).  to quote the wiki article you quoted me:

--- Quote ---As of 2004, 64-bit CPUs are common in servers, and have recently been introduced to the (previously 32-bit) mainstream personal computer arena in the form of the AMD64/EM64T and 64-bit PowerPC processor architectures.

--- End quote ---

and by the way, 64 bit OS's aren't intended just for servers and supercomputers (the latter is a little rediculous, since mose use custom designed Operating Systems).  64bit OS's are intended for High end workstations, which happens to be what my computer is, servers, and Video editing rigs (also what my computer is).  Why do you think MS release Windows XP Pro x64?  Certainly not for suppercomputers.  And there will be several versions of Windows Vista in 64bits.  That's the direction everything is headed.  64bits is the future, that's been made clear time and again.  Vista will probably be one of MS's last OS's to offer 32 bit versions.

But this is all beside the point, i still need some help finding out what the problem is, so i can play SFC3 and finish my mod.

Bonk:
Wow, you must be doing some pretty serious modelling to need more than 4GB of RAM.  :o  Must be neat stuff!  8)

Are your modelling and graphics programs actually 64 bit applications or are they 32 bit applications running under WOW64? (still limited to 4GB RAM)

--- Quote ---As of 2004, 64-bit CPUs are common in servers,  and have recently been introduced to the (previously 32-bit) mainstream personal computer arena  in the form of the AMD64/EM64T and 64-bit PowerPC processor architectures.
--- End quote ---
...but I still do not see why the average home user needs access to a system with more than 4GB of RAM, its a marketing gimmick, pure and simple.

--- Quote ---the latter is a little rediculous, since mose use custom designed Operating Systems
--- End quote ---
Not at all, 64bit HP-UX is designed with the massively SMP and huge memory of superdome and similar hardware in mind...

--- Quote ---Why do you think MS release Windows XP Pro x64?
--- End quote ---
Because home users are getting sucked into buying 64bit machines they really don't need and MS must capitalise on every opening in the market to maintain its dominance. Whether the market is actually needed or not. If people think they need it, then MS must oblige.

But as you suggest, this is beside the point. I still think it might be worth running SFC3 on a standard 32 bit system and do your huge graphics works on your 64 bit workstation. That would probably be the simplest solution.

I'm about out of ideas, Pestalence is our resident expert on SFC3 issues and does not seem to be around at the moment...

Maybe try a search of the forums for "d3d8.dll" and see what you can turn up?

S31-Riptide:
Update your video card and sound card drivers.... also reinstall direct x 9c... and all of the above... also go into your  SFC3/Assets/Scripts/ directory and delete your Allscripts.cache file...

Have you had the game running in the past?

Have you added any new models?

I don't know any players in sfc3 running the 64bit systems, so this could very well be a compatibility issue with new technology on a 4.5year old game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version