Topic: Want to Be James Kirk?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Want to Be James Kirk?
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:34:37 pm »
Or at least wear his uniform?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14152748

Trekkies — set phasers to shop!
Capt. Kirk's uniform among ‘Star Trek’ memorabilia to be auctioned

LONDON - More than 1,000 items — including props, costumes and detailed models — went on display Wednesday at Christie's in a preview of the first official auction of "Star Trek" studio items.

The collection, valued at $1.8 million, is being sold by CBS Paramount Television Studios to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the first "Star Trek" episode, said Helen Bailey, head of entertainment collections at Christie's.

"Star Trek," which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, ran from 1966-69. It spawned five spinoff series and 10 films.

Memorabilia from the original series through the 2002 movie, "Star Trek: Nemesis," will be on display at Christie's in central London until Tuesday. The items will then go on tour to four U.S. cities en route to Christie's in New York City, where the three-day sale will begin Oct. 5.

Highlights include a replica of Kirk's chair from the original series — made for a 1996 episode of spinoff "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" — which has an estimated value of $12,000.

The auction also includes a gray uniform worn by Shatner, which is expected to fetch up to $6,000.

"‘Star Trek' has been a cornerstone of American popular culture for 40 years, and continues to impact generations of fans around the globe," said Cathy Elkies, director of special collections at Christie's.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
Re: Want to Be James Kirk?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:31:14 pm »
Um, like I'm a Kirk and people don't pay money to wear my old uniforms!  Okay, there was that one guy who wanted it after we had sex, but well, he did look cute.  Too bad for him I refused to let him have it...oh well. 
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:34:56 pm »
Too bad for him I refused to let him have it...oh well. 

Oh, I'll bet you let him have it alright... :-X
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 01:46:23 pm »
Giving your uniform to a civililan is a crime, is it not?  So, no, he didn't get the UNIFORM. 

He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 01:54:57 pm »
Not really interested in the uniform, but the Captain's chair.... :rwoot:

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:07:54 pm »
Giving your uniform to a civililan is a crime, is it not?  So, no, he didn't get the UNIFORM. 

Is it a crime?   Er.. Government Property I suppose so..hmm... even though you have to replace it if you damage or lose it.

Never had a problem with anyone wanting an army dress Uniform.  That thing was uglier (especially in the Garrison Cap days) than a bag full of butt hair.

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 08:52:25 pm »
I'd rather be Kor.  After all he beat Kirk.  It took "divine intervention" to convert Kirks defeat into a draw.

:flame:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 12:32:14 am »

That would be kinda cool, you'd have to have it modified with a keyboard in the armrests and hook it up to your computer while playing SFC of course.   ;)

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 12:11:52 pm »

That would be kinda cool, you'd have to have it modified with a keyboard in the armrests and hook it up to your computer while playing SFC of course.   ;)

*squeek squeek*  I miss my old chair...
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 01:33:19 pm »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200610/s1758079.htm

Starship Enterprise fetches $770,000

The first auction of official Star Trek memorabilia hit warp speed when a model of the science fiction franchise's Starship Enterprise sold for more than $A770,000.

The sale has helped drive the total for the three-day Christie's auction in New York above $A9.5 million, twice the expected takings.

More than 1,000 items from the five Star Trek TV shows and 10 movies on offer have found buyers.

The Enterprise top lot has garnered one of the highest prices ever paid for any piece of Hollywood memorabilia and set a record for a piece of Star Trek memorabilia.

The 198-centimetre model of the Starship Enterprise-D, used extensively in the Star Trek: The Next Generation television series, has sold for 20 times the predicted sale price.

It was bought by a determined, unidentified private American collector bidding via telephone.

Christie's main salesroom, which is more traditionally lined with Picassos and Monets, was packed with fans dressed as the characters Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Mr Spock.

Staff members also donned Star Trek garb as they fielded bids via telephone.

Nine models and miniatures have proved to be some of the hottest items, achieving prices of over $A130,000.

The top costume price was almost $194,000 for Dr McCoy's space suit from the episode "The Tholian Web" from the original television series, which premiered 40 years ago.

A model of a Klingon "Bird of Prey" ship first seen in the film, Star Trek III: The Search For Spock soared to more than $A400,000, more than 30 times its pre-sale estimate

The sale was streamed live on The History Channel's website, and the channel filmed the event in its entirety for a documentary.

----------------------------------

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 01:37:41 pm »

If you want it that badly build it or have it built for you.  The original was only plywood, nothing fancy.  Buy some cushions and customize the dimensions of the chair to match the cushions. 

Before anyone asks I haven't done this myself but could easily enough if I wanted to, I already have suitable swivels to form the base but they are going into a pair of DVD shelving units I'm going to build.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."