Topic: SG6 Test Thread: Missions, Bugs, Server Issues, etc... Server is UP!!!  (Read 23395 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: SG6 Test Thread: Missions, Bugs, Server Issues, etc... Server is UP!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 11:56:35 am »
That may be the interim solution till the OCI is changed. Just look at the roster to see what they are flying... There are your long range scanners, tool.

What if instead of showing the exact ship someone is flying it instead showed what hull class and what race? Like Romulan Heavy Cruiser?

Would that be a quick fix, Bonk or take a lot of time? I'm leary of instantly knowing what ship someone is flying... Although after the very 1st encounter, everyone is gonna tell everyone else on TS what that dude is flying, so mb it doesnt matter...

762_XC

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 12:00:25 pm »
Ideal solution would be to diable viewing enemies on the roster, and insert a rule that you have to fly a ship of your current race.

Offline Capt Jeff

• 1AF
  • Lt.
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 12:06:00 pm »
Yes, I know that the "AI fire on host only" problem has been around for a while...
I mentioned it since we have a scripter involved and maybe it could be looked into  ;)

As for flying a different race's ships around, I'd say make the simple rule, that while you are at the OCI, if you switch races, you must also buy a new ship of the race you are switching to before you log back into the server.

Very simple, and I can't see anyone having a problem with that.   I guarantee there will be such a rule on SS3.

Capt Jeff

Former SFC2.NET Administrator
C.O., Heavy Command Cruiser
USS Crasher NCC 1733

1AF---Friendship, Honor, Fun.  It's what we Play For.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 12:10:20 pm »
Ideal solution would be to diable viewing enemies on the roster, and insert a rule that you have to fly a ship of your current race.

Would be a pain to move it into the player controls and make it filtered by enemies, would also kind of defeat the whole purpose of it. I want to keep as much as possible viewable without logging in.

I can disable it altogether or just add configuraion paramters as to what information to show.

What do you think it should show 762?.

Definitley I agree that players should only fly ships from their current race. (like I said above, it will be a bunch of work to add a forced tradin and purchase on transfer but it is now on the wishlist marked as priority, but I'm sure you guys will come up with plenty of other issues that will be easier to address first... ;))

That may be the interim solution till the OCI is changed. Just look at the roster to see what they are flying... There are your long range scanners, tool.

What if instead of showing the exact ship someone is flying it instead showed what hull class and what race? Like Romulan Heavy Cruiser?

Would that be a quick fix, Bonk or take a lot of time? I'm leary of instantly knowing what ship someone is flying... Although after the very 1st encounter, everyone is gonna tell everyone else on TS what that dude is flying, so mb it doesnt matter...

It would be possible to replace the ships disaplyed on the roster with only their class instead, not a big deal.

Lets settle on what we want the roster to display then I can get to work on it.  :)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 12:13:56 pm »
Are we going to be entering X-Class era by the end of the campaign?

That K-D7TX looks a little OTT  ;)

Playtesting indicates otherwise (Fricking t00l owning my ass while he was in a DGX for example . . . )

I designed it so blame me :)

Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 12:19:44 pm »
Could you set it up so that instead of Romulan Heavy Cruiser, Federation Heavy Cruiser etc...

I could be like: Romulan KR Cruiser, Federation New Heavy Cruiser.  It would seem to me, that, especially with the Romulan Ships, that each series would have a very distinctive long range sensor return.  And just because you know the hull type, doesn't mean you know the exact configuration.

Or better yet...have Romulan KR series ships come back as "Klingon Type" that way we don't know if they are Romulan or Klingon  ;D
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 12:23:55 pm »
Good idea Q. Bonk is looking into it.

DH, a klingon X ship with photons... Unique ships wouldnt you say?

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 12:24:37 pm »
It would seem to me, that, especially with the Romulan Ships, that each series would have a very distinctive long range sensor return.  And just because you know the hull type . ..

Um, Cloaking Device?   ;D

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 12:25:42 pm »
As for flying a different race's ships around, I'd say make the simple rule, that while you are at the OCI, if you switch races, you must also buy a new ship of the race you are switching to before you log back into the server.

Very simple, and I can't see anyone having a problem with that.   I guarantee there will be such a rule on SS3.

Well us admins have to stick together... Ok I agree. I'll make a rule. That will save Bonk the pain and misery of fixing it now and he can focus on other stuff.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 12:27:48 pm »
Good idea Q. Bonk is looking into it.

DH, a klingon X ship with photons... Unique ships wouldnt you say?

It's a D7T with an X-Refit (as per the SFB rules, as close as you can get in SFC:OP).  It plays nice with the other CA X-ships.   It was in SG05 and I'm not sure if it was even flown.  I don't feel it should have anymore restrictions on it than any other CA X-ship.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 12:52:18 pm »
This is a test server. There exists terrain only in the center of the map. More Planets bases and terrain will be added later.

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 12:57:54 pm »
Yes, I know that the "AI fire on host only" problem has been around for a while...
I mentioned it since we have a scripter involved and maybe it could be looked into  ;)

Yeah, this one has always bugged me (no pun intended), but I haven't found a useful way to prevent it yet (heh, aside from giving the defender control of the planet/base).

In general, targetting is left strictly up to the game engine.  There is an api option that lets us manually choose a specific enemy ship as a target, but nothing to order the AI to reevaluate the current situation (theoretically it should be doing that anyway, but I suspect therein lies the glitch).

I will take another boo at it though, see if anything new leaps out at me

dave

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 01:01:53 pm »

In general, targetting is left strictly up to the game engine.  There is an api option that lets us manually choose a specific enemy ship as a target,
dave

How about just get it to shoot at tool?

Or the closest enemy target? Is there such an option?

762_XC

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 01:12:37 pm »
Bonk, Q's suggestion would be fine...just have it display general class, like the D2 interface does now (well, sort of). If it shows nothing at all, I am ok with that too.

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 01:28:43 pm »
In general, targetting is left strictly up to the game engine.  There is an api option that lets us manually choose a specific enemy ship as a target,
dave

How about just get it to shoot at tool?

Sadly there is no way for the scripts to recognize which actual players are involved .... if there was then my nickname would probably be something MUCH worse than just "evil" dave  ;D

Or the closest enemy target? Is there such an option?

No such luck there either  ... we could introduce code that continually tracks the distance between ships and the base, and intermittently does manual updates to change targets, but the routines involved in monitoring distancs also seem to introduce noticable lag :(

dave

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 04:45:36 pm »
I'll give er a shot tonight bonk :)
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 04:46:21 pm »
Since the only thing that hasn't been impleminted already on the OCI is the display on the roster...
Displaying the class of ship only is fine, you'll get the same by right clicking on a player in the campaign...
If you want to get more detailed than that, that's fine also.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 04:48:29 pm »
Well... when a player gets in his 1st PvP then everyone on the Alliance will know what they are flying... Its not that big a deal to be secretive. But yes, I'd like to see it only show the race and hull type of the ship a player is flying.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 05:12:21 pm »
OK, Dizzy, on the roster, back for some missions later after dinner, etc.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2006, 06:40:21 pm »
Dizzy, I am unable to d/l the installer.  >:(

Will try to d/l later. :)

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!