Topic: Hollywood agrees to burning DVD issue  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Hollywood agrees to burning DVD issue
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:04:53 am »
http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/hollywood-agrees-to-burning-dvd-issue/2006/07/19/1153166455537.html

HOLLYWOOD studios will cross a significant technological and psychological frontier this week when they offer the first downloadable movies that can be legally burned to a DVD.

Four major studios struck a deal with online movie service CinemaNow to offer more than 100 mainstream titles that can be burned to a disc and played on almost any DVD player and television set. Prices start at about $US9 ($A12).

The deal was hailed as a milestone in internet distribution, giving movie fans what they have long demanded: the convenience of playing what they download on the living room TV.

The announcement also previews a likely agreement between the major studios and Apple Computer, which is expected to expand the offerings on its popular iTunes online store to include big-studio movies.

Coupled with the CinemaNow agreement, a deal with Apple would cement the internet as a viable distribution vehicle. Although studios have offered online movies since 2002, piracy fears have kept them locked to computer hard drives. That restriction has limited the market for legal downloads.

CinemaNow's service employs relatively new anti-piracy technology, which prevents the burned DVD from being recopied. Because that technology is still being tested, the initial batch of titles were described by Forrester Research analyst Josh Bernoff as what's left "at the video store when you arrive too late and the shelves are picked clean". Among the initial releases: Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, Barbershop and Scent of a Woman.

Studio executives hope that as more titles become available online, internet services will emerge as a way for movie fans to buy niche or older films that can be difficult to find at mass-market retailers.

----------------

IMHO, this has been a long time coming. It would be nice to be able to go online, DL a movie legaly, and sit back and watch it with the family.

now anyone here how to download Buttery Popcorn?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
Re: Hollywood agrees to burning DVD issue
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:25:14 am »

Stephen

You simply reach across the couch from your reclined position, jab your finger into your wife's ribs, and say, "Popcorn!   Hot and Buttery!   Now!"

A firm voice is important.

Give it a try and let me know how that works out for you.    ;D

-S'Cipio

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:48:22 am »
Hey Scippy, I was just thinking about you last night, what with the Buck Rogers and all... I came across this, you know, I've been a longtime fan of Steve Austin, the Six million dollar man, and thought you might get a kick out of this trivia...

* The aircraft seen crashing in the opening sequence of the show is real and the dialogue spoken by actor Lee Majors during the opening credits is reportedly based upon communication prior to the crash that occurred on May 10, 1967: ("I can't hold her, she's breaking up! She's breaking--"). Test pilot Bruce Peterson lost an eye in the crash, but likewise also miraculously survived what appeared to be a fatal accident even though his lifting body aircraft hit the ground at approximately 250 mph (400 km/h) and tumbled six times.
    * The character of Steve Austin underwent retconning during the early episodes of the series. In the first pilot film, he was described as being a civilian who nonetheless served as an astronaut. In the series, he was given the United States Air Force rank of Colonel and was no longer referred to as a civilian.
    *  Caidin's original novel, Cyborg was not his first work to make mention of bionics. His 1968 novel The God Machine also made reference to this science, and his later work Buck Rogers: A Life in the Future had the titular character given bionic body parts in an intentional nod to Steve Austin.
    * One of the show's most famous set pieces was a rotating ice tunnel that appeared in several episodes featuring Bigfoot (who, in this series, was the guardian for a group of aliens observing earth; the tunnel was a line of defence intended to disorient and knock out intruders). This tunnel was for many years a popular part of the Universal Studios Tour, and tourists still pass through the tunnel today on the tour, though as of 2003 it had been redesigned to resemble the entrance to The Mummy's Tomb (look for the rotating wall).
    * One Christmas-themed episode of the series demonstrated an unexpected bit of product placement when Austin visits a toy store where Six Million Dollar Man action figures are visible in the background.
    * A Christmas themed episode featured actor Ray Walston as Budge, a scrooge-like character whose company has the contract to develop a life-support system for a NASA manned flight to Mars, but under Budge, the contractor is only barely complying with specifications. Austin, there to investigate frequent equipment failures, dresses up as Santa to make Budge think he's dreaming. Austin takes Budge on a midnight walk (as per doctor's orders) to see the results of his chintziness, then encourage him to be more generous with compliance, as well as be nicer in the holiday season (he refused to have a Christmas tree contributed by employees). There's a chamber marked "Artifical Martian atmosphere" used to test the life support system, a nice reference to Walston's famous role in "My Favorite Martian".
    * During filming of the 1977 episode "Carnival of Spies", which was shot at a real-life carnival, a crewmember was moving what was thought to be a wax mannequin. When the mannequin's arm broke, it was discovered that it was in fact the mummified remains of a man. Researchers discovered that the body was that of one Elmer McCurdy, an outlaw who had died in a gunfight in 1911.
    * DVD release of the series has been delayed for unconfirmed reasons (it is rumored a royalties issue might be the cause of the delay; it has also been suggested that the studio is waiting for production of a new Six Million Dollar Man movie to be confirmed). However, in November 2004, Universal Studios announced that it will release both series to DVD in North America in 2005. As of August 2005, however, no release dates had been announced.
    * In September of 2005, the first season of both the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman was released on DVD in the UK.

---------------------------

I thought that was kinda neat, as I had never read that by Caiden. I still have your book though, but I need an addy to send it back.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 01:08:17 pm »
You know, I just don't get the pricing thing.  If it's going to cost you 9 bucks go get a movie you could go down and pay 9 bucks for somewhere (or less) why do it?  Now if it's a 18 dollar movie most places you're on to something.  One question is, do you get the special features that woudl come with a retail dvd, and I know you don't get any packaging at all.  I don't get this about online music either.  Why pay .99 a song and end up potentially paying more for an album than you would if you went down to the store and bought the actual cd and then you get a nice little case with liner notes too.  Sure there are cases where you save money but do you save that much?  Now, I get buying by the song if you don't really want to get rest of an album that is supposed to be a flop except for the one hit.  Maybe they should do that with movies.  Sell them by the scene, so you can get the one really funny spot in an otherwise bad movie, or that one hot scene, or whatever.  Hmmmm. lol.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 01:47:21 pm »
Quote from: Stephen NCC -73070 link=topic=163368687.msg1122728703#msg1122728703

Stephen
[quote

I'm still trying to figure out how to fax someone a beer!
You gotta gimmie some more time!
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."