Topic: The way the dynaverse should really work...  (Read 8240 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: The way the dynaverse should really work...
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2006, 11:31:15 am »

Y'know, this could be used to create a spherical universe: wormholes connecting the top row of hexes to the bottom and the left row of hexes to the right...

dave

Good idea. Most interesting.

I'm going to work on these kinds of features regardless, and will make them as configurable as possible with the types of options discussed here.

And as Crim mentioned, its up to the campaign admin to enable it if desired and with what type of options. ( :notworthy: to the Deacon... ;))

Now I have to stop reading the forums and actually get to work on it!  :)  I need do the damn dishes first though, I'm scared something might jump out of the sink and bite me!   :o

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2006, 12:07:20 pm »

Y'know, this could be used to create a spherical universe: wormholes connecting the top row of hexes to the bottom and the left row of hexes to the right...

dave

More evil would be a huge row of neutral hexes at 100 DV. Obviously you cant cross it to get to the enemy empire, but you can thru the warp gate... One on each side... fight your way inside enemy territory.

el-Karnak

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2006, 02:34:02 pm »

Now I have to stop reading the forums and actually get to work on it!  :)  I need do the damn dishes first though, I'm scared something might jump out of the sink and bite me!   :o

Admiral!! Dere Be Cock-Roaches here!!

:P :P

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2006, 12:12:15 am »
Well that is a fundamental difference in how we each see it. I played articfire. I was in the thick of it. And I had two accounts because toward the end the DB swelled to where it took too long to travel between fronts. I'd park one account in the north to battle the kzin and another in the south to battle the ISC and Klinks.

What's happened since is despite faster movement between hexes on following servers, and no matter how big the map is er small for that matter, not many enjoy traversing the map to get from front to front. They want to log right into the action. Maybe someday we can join battles in progress using the online interface. That is at least one of our far reaching goals.

As it stands now, there wouldnt be much benefit to logging off just to change locations on the map when you can just about do it in the same time frame by traversing the hexes. The benefit is when you first login and decide where you want to go after who you decide to be. This feature will cut down second accounts to the point where we wont need them anymore and that is another goal.

I already posted on this use of it and my  approval as long as it is something that will be used vefore logging onto the server after a signifigant time off of it and not just frivilous usage.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2006, 12:16:59 am »

dave

More evil would be a huge row of neutral hexes at 100 DV. Obviously you cant cross it to get to the enemy empire, but you can thru the warp gate... One on each side... fight your way inside enemy territory.

LOL i had actually thought of something simiklar bases on a Deep Space nine type of scenario with a wormhole connecting two far off quardrants.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2006, 12:28:02 am »

dave

If you could restrict the movement to between 2 specific hexes only that would be cool, but I don't think allowing anyone to move from any hex on the far left to any hex on the far right is such a good idea and wouldn't create an actual sphere effect.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2006, 12:31:16 am »
Now here is a thought.

I have no problem with the very limited use of a teleportantion system that would be an effort to create some phenomenon.

By this I mean having a "wormhole" between two specific points and only those points which allowed for teleporting in a limited way, not bouncing anywhere on the map that had a friendly planet but two specified points whether friendly or enemy and these points never changed.  From 2-4 of these in a campaign might actually be interesting.

If such a thing was used perhaps place one in the space of each team where they knew and controlled both entry and exit points and two that we unknown, hidden on the map in neutral space waiting to be discovered and exploited strategically.  The limited destination of the telport would keep it from too heavily impacting the entire campaign (at leat i think so) but would at the same time have enough of an impact to make for potentiallyinteresting situations.

Now this is an idea I love. One problem I'll admit with the web warping, gonna coin that, is lets say that there is indeed a planet you cut off by itself. If would be frustrating to see enemies pop up on it continually as if magically to defend it. This is imo the only problem with this feature. I think I may have a solution that would tie in this feature with a strategic element. As we all know there are three types of planets. Colony, Core and Homeworld. If we are able to, I'd prefer to use web warping only on allied core or HW planets. That'd leave colony planets out of the picture and enable an interesting map setup to see how Core worlds are fought over. At the very minimum, HW planets would be setup for this. But for my servers, other admins can do as they please, Core worlds would be a strategic element indeed beyond being a frontline base if they could also be a web warp point.

As long as you limited the jump points between two determined locations for each web warp I'm ok with it.  I just wouldn't want to see a web of such jump points.  At least not at first till we tried a more modest version first.

***This would be cool for a babylon 5 campaign done in the SFC universe.  Actual jump point maps from the show could be used.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 12:35:19 am »
You know Dizzy another aspect has occurred to me, if jump points are tied to terrain features like planets, couldn't they also be tied to bases?

In thinking of the Babylon 5 jumpgates i realized that such structures could be destroyed.  A jumpgate destruction mission would have to be hard but that would be a helluva lot of fun.   :flame:  of course they could be rebuilt, (at a high price and perhaps after a time delay for constuction)  after all wouldn't want to limit the fun to 1 run only  :flame:

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006, 12:39:28 am »
Another recommendation I'd have is to not place these jump points on planets , perhaps near them but not on them, use a blackhole hex instead.  You wouldn't want to have folkes able to drop in on a planet during an assault without giving the attacker at least a few seconds to note the icon moving into the area.  Additionally this would create a strategy  of taking the wormhole before the planet and thus making the sudden appearance of lots of foes in a "cut off " area less likely.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2006, 02:42:21 am »
Destructible Starbase Warp Gates... I like it.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2006, 03:40:01 am »
I might suggest getting over to the modellers forum and see if anyone would be interested in making a "stargate" model,

I also thinking that this might be a good scenario for a new mission.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2006, 04:57:19 am »
I see something happening here... We could add this model to Starbase Assaults and link it to the web warping. A small adjustment in the script would make base busting even more enjoyable, hehe.

As I see it, I'd setup web warping for HW's and Starbases, the latter of which would be destroyable.

Jumpgate

Offline Skaren

• http://www.evensong.us/images/avatars/ban.jpg
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Resistance is Futile
    • SFC Campaign System
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2006, 07:27:52 am »
In our campaigns (non Dyna) we have used jump gates and worm holes for 10+ years.  Sometimes they even lead to parrelell maps, we once had a campaign with three maps all linked in odd ways with worm holes.  Kinda like Spock's multi tiered chess game, and the strategy got equally complex which the players loved.

In one campaign one planet actually had 4 worm holes lead to it.  It was named Worm World.  That also leads to situations where controlling such a hex as Worm World has major strategic value.  That also adds greatly to the game.

I wonder if someday a Dyna will have multiple maps?

My last thought is that when we used Jumped Gates the fact that they can be destroyed degraded things as opposed to non destructable worm worlds.  We found some folks would destroy their own gates to stop players from attacking through them and if folks were in transit and one was destroyed what happens?  The destructable nature of them caused technical issues that non destructable ones do not. 

After years of using them non destructable worm holes has been found to work much better than jump gates.  Dyna may be different but it is worth thinking about.
SFC:OPCS

StarFleet Command: Orion Pirates Campaign System

http://sfbuaw.com/intro.php

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2006, 08:39:29 am »
I might suggest getting over to the modellers forum and see if anyone would be interested in making a "stargate" model,

I also thinking that this might be a good scenario for a new mission.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163344735.0.html

There are others around too...

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163344860.0.html

I have one on disk here somewhere...