Topic: New web interface tool for customizing your starship on SG6...  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Bonk has made a new interface for me for something I've been wanting for a long time. Now that the blobs in the db are fairly well known for where players ship data is kept, we have been able to incorporate a type of shipedit into your new online web interface where you login to check the map, change your ships, well now u can edit them... to a certain degree and for BIG $$$. Now something for the nutter...

Every ship has about a 10% BPV spread with which to make ship changes. Some things will be added to be able to be changed, like adding a bit of auxillary power, or change some weapon arcs... even adding a Ph1 maybe. All changes cost bpv and its not refundable so be careful! Things you cant change are stuff like hull, turn rate, move cost, warp power, that sort of thing. Oh, and you dont get money back for what you trade in. Say you want those two Ph2's upgraded to Ph1's. Well, the editor doesnt give you anything for the trade in and you cant just add more weapons to a ship, you may only swap with a hardpoint that's already occupied.  So its expensive. Dont go expecting to slap on a PlasR... Unless you're in a big enough ship and have a nutter's bank roll.

Disclaimer: Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental and have no association with them whatsoever. This post is entirely fictitious and nothing is true. Poster denies taking bribes from J'inn for posting this thread.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
Re: New web interface tool for customizing your starship on SG6...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 11:58:24 pm »
2 questions.

1.  Has this feature been thoroughly tested enough to be reliable enough for a major server?

2.  And if question 1 is true, why have we not seen this feature on another server?

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:35:53 am »
1. No.
2. Dunno. There's gonna be a lot of things we've not seen before happen on future servers.

SG6 will feature a few of them like being able to change your race via web based dynaverse account. Say you're Klink and change your race to rom but dont change your ship. Then imagine the enemies surprise when they discover that Rom CA counter they jumped wasnt a rom CA afterall...

Let's say you want to switch front lines from the Lyran border and go fight on the ISC border. Lets also say you want to switch races and ships. Rather than do it the old way where you log off, relog on with another account on the other side of the map and then wait thru endless shipyard cycles for the ship you want, you simply instead use the online dynaverse interface, switch your race, swap your ship and type in the hex number you want to reappear in when you log unto the server (allied planet to allied planet travel only). It's that easy. It will save so much time. One cool thing I like about this is a player wont have to run up prestige in multiple accounts since one is all they will need now.

There will be other things. Lotsa cool stuff.

762_XC

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 02:06:56 am »
You can't freaking be serious???

Tell me this is a late april fools joke.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 02:49:41 am »
What? lol

Offline Riskyllama

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt.
  • Risky
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:54:10 am »
dizzy's first post is,that would be changing the shiplist files and quite impossible for OP in its present state i do believe, the second actually can happen though...
Everything is sweetened by risk. ~Alexander Smith

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 08:23:22 am »
1. No.
2. Dunno. There's gonna be a lot of things we've not seen before happen on future servers.

SG6 will feature a few of them like being able to change your race via web based dynaverse account. Say you're Klink and change your race to rom but dont change your ship. Then imagine the enemies surprise when they discover that Rom CA counter they jumped wasnt a rom CA afterall...

Let's say you want to switch front lines from the Lyran border and go fight on the ISC border. Lets also say you want to switch races and ships. Rather than do it the old way where you log off, relog on with another account on the other side of the map and then wait thru endless shipyard cycles for the ship you want, you simply instead use the online dynaverse interface, switch your race, swap your ship and type in the hex number you want to reappear in when you log unto the server (allied planet to allied planet travel only). It's that easy. It will save so much time. One cool thing I like about this is a player wont have to run up prestige in multiple accounts since one is all they will need now.

Transferring to another race and then not picking up a ship from that race strikes me as a problem. I don't believe this was the original reason for this feature. As I recall, Bonk said it was to avoid the creation of multiple accounts and allow your PP to grow in just one account, nowhere do I remember it saying it was for pulling cloak and dagger crap. I may as well transfer to isc long enough to buy a carrier or some such beasty and then back to fed and imagine the enemies surprise when they get into game with me.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 09:01:40 am »
1. No.

Transferring to another race and then not picking up a ship from that race strikes me as a problem. I don't believe this was the original reason for this feature. As I recall, Bonk said it was to avoid the creation of multiple accounts and allow your PP to grow in just one account, nowhere do I remember it saying it was for pulling cloak and dagger crap. I may as well transfer to isc long enough to buy a carrier or some such beasty and then back to fed and imagine the enemies surprise when they get into game with me.

Ummm  it's done all the time on "The Forge"  Soreyes wonders off wonering if he is still flying his Z-DWD under the baner of the Hydrens ;) ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 09:13:29 am »
2.  And if question 1 is true, why have we not seen this feature on another server?

You can't freaking be serious???

Tell me this is a late april fools joke.

Actually, I think Dizzy's on the level here...

Bonk's been spending much time decoding the database / save file.  With SQL, "on the fly" editing of the database is possible, the user record being edited does need to be closed (offline) for the changes to take, though.  If Bonk's confident enough (or Dizzy's crazy enough) to think that we have a 90+% understanding of the ship status portion of the save and the know how to change it properly, then we've got one of those elusive "SQL-only" features that are constantly promised but never seen yet (cause they're not figured out yet... ;))

Once the database's fully understood, everything is chagable.  Consider what Herr Burt did with players / races and the map / races for Pirate War... :D

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 09:16:42 am »
Why not just create two shiplists, one for the coalition,one for the alliance that has every ship people fly from their side.

Gives you exactly the same silly effect. I can certainly appreciate it for a fun server, but for anything serious it's a bit dumb (imho).

Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

762_XC

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 09:22:56 am »
Disclaimer: Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental and have no association with them whatsoever. This post is entirely fictitious and nothing is true. Poster denies taking bribes from J'inn for posting this thread.

I knew it! Bastard.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 09:37:36 am »
#1) looks like our connection is dying again....  >:(  THis will casue major problems.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 09:46:29 am »
As I recall, Bonk said it was to avoid the creation of multiple accounts and allow your PP to grow in just one account, nowhere do I remember it saying it was for pulling cloak and dagger crap. I may as well transfer to isc long enough to buy a carrier or some such beasty and then back to fed and imagine the enemies surprise when they get into game with me.

Doesnt matter what bonk says, it matters what peeps do with it. And in its present form, it will allow you to change to an allied race and keep your previous ship, or change it. What you cannot do is change to an enemy race, buy one of their ships and swap back. I dont really see a problem with it... other than some added realism. It may make jumping someone based off what counters are moving and who is shaded a bit more dicey, but peeps on the server typing /afk to shade themselves is just another shallow level of cloak and dagger that you and I have both played before. Why not take it to the next level and get something cool to go with it?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 09:49:05 am »

I knew it! Bastard.

This thread only got 10 replies long b4 you blew it! Bastard!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 09:54:22 am »
#2) This is possible - the current shiiplist webyards construct the stores and damage blobs from the shiplist, there is no reason I could not eventually provide an interface to edit the stores and damage blobs of your currently owned ships at a price. Some things could be edited, others not. It would take some testing and I don't think I could have it ready for SG6.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 10:10:36 am »
#3) The current transfers code prevents you from transferring to another race when you have an open ship bid to prevent bugs. However currently there is nothing to prevent you from tranferrring to another race, buying a ship, waiting for it to come in, then transferring back. (though I could try and prevent that, but it would be tricky... because you would be in violation initially by tranferring to another race with your ship from your original race, which could not be avoided, though perhaps accounted for, I have not thought that through.)

However, all this is in flux at the moment and this is distracting me from working on it. (Not to mention that our connection keeps going down every few minutes, and I haven't finished my coffee yet, and I badly need a shower... you know its bad when your own stink is getting to you...)