Topic: SG6 Rules Discussion Thread  (Read 25342 times)

762_XC

<gives dizzy a hug>

If this doesn't work, I promise I'll shut up about it.

Offline Green

• I'm not a
  • Commander
What is the start date, and will there be a post of required D/Ls? 

I assume OP+4.0 is the baseline.  True?

Thanks

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
Hexes with max dv of 1, no disengagement rule, and draft radius of 2.  Ponder that!!!

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Hexes with max dv of 1, no disengagement rule, and draft radius of 2.  Ponder that!!!

Not a bad idea in principle. Problem is that flippers would have a huge advantage and the draft radius of 2 would add exponentially to serverload.

When I was flying with the KATs one night we invaded a TAG server that used the server default DV shifts on the stock map. (DV shifts of 5 and hex DVs of 5-50) We flipped pretty much the whole map cyan in about 6 hours, it was a blast. I think we cheesed the TAG guys off pretty good though, I remember they were pretty ticked when I took out two of their ISC BBs with 3xMDCs...   ;)

However, your suggestion is worth some thought, as by playing with hex DVs and DV shifts one can possibly mitigate the flipper vs PvP dilemma somewhat.

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support

Not a bad idea in principle. Problem is that flippers would have a huge advantage and the draft radius of 2 would add exponentially to serverload.

When I was flying with the KATs one night we invaded a TAG server that used the server default DV shifts on the stock map. (DV shifts of 5 and hex DVs of 5-50) We flipped pretty much the whole map cyan in about 6 hours, it was a blast. I think we cheesed the TAG guys off pretty good though, I remember they were pretty ticked when I took out two of their ISC BBs with 3xMDCs...   ;)

However, your suggestion is worth some thought, as by playing with hex DVs and DV shifts one can possibly mitigate the flipper vs PvP dilemma somewhat.

And the Mirak would rule the map. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral

Well we outflipped them and when they went into PvP with us they tended to die.  There were a few decent pilots among them even 1 or 2 good ones, but the rest went for the sanctuary of bigger ships and jumped into BBs we killed those too.   ;D

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral

Ok, tool. When you disengage from an enemy, write the hex down so you remember you cant come into that hex or those surrounding it for the DR period.

Disengagement radius should only apply near fixed assets like bases or planets, in open space it is senseless, even if the rule only applies to t00l like you suggest.

Make it around the fixed assets and I'll support it 100%, otherwise consider me opposed.

P.S.  I really think Duck should fly Gorn too.  He has the balls for it for sure.

<Triple Snicker>

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!

That's brilliant, Lepton!  Do you know, I tried to move the Earth yesterday, and it was really, really heavy.  Narf!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:18:24 am by Pinky »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
Well we outflipped them and when they went into PvP with us they tended to die.  There were a few decent pilots among them even 1 or 2 good ones, but the rest went for the sanctuary of bigger ships and jumped into BBs we killed those too.   ;D

Yup, my reponse to 2-3 ISC BBs winging together was a squad of MDCs. I do like a good cheesefest occasionally;D  Pretty cool bunch of guys though, they were pretty good about the whole thing and I think they had good fun too. They didn't get all snarky or anything and still played on other servers and GSA with us.

762_XC

I don't think he meant it's only going to apply to me, Chuut. <snicker>

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
While I was being a bit facetious with my suggestion, I do think that a low dv, high draft radius combination might lead to some interesting results.  While territory would easily be lost, it would also be easily regained.  The high draft radius would possibly find the flipper engaged in much more PvP action than he intended.  Using a high draft radius would make any hot area a really hot area and also make those areas easier to defend, I think.  However, it sounds as if the server could not handle the large draft radius, but I think the idea is intriguing.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Lepton, it may work on a smaller map with fewer players. An idea I've always wanted to try was a small map, say 12x12 with a limit of 18 players. 1 hex draft radius and combination of some core area high DV's with fluid lower DV's in all the other areas. Make it a one week server with some interesting ship choices and you'd have something quite different.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
I don't think he meant it's only going to apply to me, Chuut. <snicker>

Likely not Dizzy isn't really a true bastard, but the club would have to vote him in if he did do that  ;D

Offline KBF-Nail

• Lt. Junior Grade
When does it start Dizzy? So I can reload my game and get rdy?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Ummm if I'm lucky Ill have everything ready this friday. Ummm if Im not lucky... the server will likely go up anyway and some things will be done later. Either way, plan for friday.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
You mean the test server right? And you mean thursday right? Or we can call you Dizzy the geophage right? ;)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Right, hehe, thurs.

EDIT: Bonk, u really think we need a week to test it? Nah... one day test server we go live this fri? What do u think?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
Right, hehe, thurs.

EDIT: Bonk, u really think we need a week to test it? Nah... one day test server we go live this fri? What do u think?

Maybe give it at least two days to test and launch on Saturday? We have a lot of functionality to test.

762_XC

No rush guys. I think we all want to see it work the first time.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
No rush guys. I think we all want to see it work the first time.

Agreed...
Better to test longer to be sure than rush it and have to restart after a few days.  ;)
I think we all remember how frustrating that can be to players, not to mention the negative effects that usually follow such a restart.   ;D
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead