Topic: Legacy footage of TNG era combat  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Legacy footage of TNG era combat
« on: May 17, 2006, 11:43:08 am »
From Loadedinc.com

Ick.  Even more arcadey than Bridge Commander.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline T' Kang

• T' Kang
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
Re: Legacy footage of TNG era combat
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 02:08:28 pm »
 :huh:

But what can you expect from a console game? Something from Lucas Arts that makes money?  ::)
sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
APR D3 (c) Mod Director

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 03:33:26 pm »
Since I'm getting tired of seeing my own name at the head of every thread, I'll just mention another preview here, since it also pertains to the complaints I brought up.

Tactical combat is in real time and ships are fully maneuverable in 3D space. Fleets can be placed and reinforcements brought in strategically using an RTS-like overhead map. Combat itself is as yet not quite interesting enough though. Ships maneuver sluggishly, which might be accurate as far as lore goes, but feels like watching an air show in slow motion replay. When ships attack one another, phasers aren’t dynamic and look like static neon tubes. When there’s a whole group of ships firing upon one another, gameplay tends to look extremely static, like fleets are hanging in space, with a network of neon bulbs connecting them all.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:41:48 pm »
In some cases I feel that way about Starship Combat in Trek.  Even in the most contemporary of Trek shows, Enterprise, shows the slow drifting at times with exchange of beam weaponry, similar towards Voyager or DS9 sometimes.  One of the most highly-praised TNG episodes "Yesterday's Enterprise", it has slow close-range combat where ships are around a hundred or so kilometers at least and at usual standards even closer.  And generally combat in TOS was in long-range and at warp speeds, and one or two cases after TOS show that, at least as far as long-range combat goes, such as the U.S.S. Phoenix/Cardassian warship battle seen on a tactical display in "The Wounded" [TNG], for example.

So, it wouldn't suprise me that combat wouldn't be a bit fast and potentially creative or longer-ranged, but rather as what Trek shows would normally be.  So as far as capturing the spirit of what Trek combat has been like since Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan for the most part, it looks like Legacy has done just that.  I might be interested in it more-so if I'd bother upgrading my computer and if it's more easily moddable than BC (which was a reason why I was turned off of BC in the first place and in favor of Klingon Academy again, for a while at least).

The video footage in the link at the first post looks similarly in function to the other videos from before, which reminds me of BC.  If it's something like "BC lite", it might be a turnoff, but again, you never know.  BC was KA Lite and was a bit more complicated in mod installation, but it was still popular and modded to its limits.  Who knows?  Perhaps history would repeat itself with Legacy.

And as one who's liked Arcade games like the first two Star Fox games for Super NES and Nintendo 64 (in respective order), I don't think the "arcadeyness" isn't too bad, even if it is big starships twirling around at unrealistic speads (*cough*NewVoyagesorTOSingeneral*cough*).  But that's how I feel, so perhaps an agreement to disagree is in order?

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:51:07 pm »
I think part of the problem might be the fact that the guy playing it had never touched it before in his life.  If you noticed, most of the "fightery" moves that the Galaxy was doing was whenever it banked to make a turn.  A newbie like that guy might not make smooth motions with the controller, which would give an observer the impression that the ship was making fast and rapid movements while its turn rate really is as slow as the Killer Betties article says it is.  The Defiant and Intrepid both seemed to move as ships of their mass would.  I'm wondering how other ships like the Sovereign and TOS Connie move in comparison to the Galaxy.