Topic: Bridge Commander demo  (Read 2657 times)

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
Bridge Commander demo
« on: May 18, 2006, 02:08:08 am »
<runs toward everyone waving arms wildly>Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssss!!!

I have not any bridge commander yet.  Until I've got enough spare moolah all I've got is the demo.  I noticed bridges for the sov/akira and ship models included, but they are not selectable.  Is there any way I can unlock them?

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
Re: Bridge Commander demo
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:15:54 am »
I'd suggest getting the game rather than just use the demo.  But (opinion alert) my opinion is that maybe it's better off that you go on the web and try Klingon Academy first.  There's a demo or two out there and the game, albeit six years old, is still a great game.  If I can find my copy I accidentally lost (again), I'd play it again.  But in any case, there's likely a chance you can find it on the web.

But that's my opinion.  But if you're interested in BC, go ahead and find a copy of the game.  If you like what you see in the demo, there's a good chance you'll like the game.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:37:56 pm »
If I recall, yes there is a way to get them.  I've forgotten after all these years, but if I remember correctly you can get the ambassador class as well.  It has to do with changing something I think in one of the files but I can't remember exactly how it was done.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 05:27:19 pm »
I'd suggest getting the game rather than just use the demo.  But (opinion alert) my opinion is that maybe it's better off that you go on the web and try Klingon Academy first.  There's a demo or two out there and the game, albeit six years old, is still a great game.  If I can find my copy I accidentally lost (again), I'd play it again.  But in any case, there's likely a chance you can find it on the web.

But that's my opinion.  But if you're interested in BC, go ahead and find a copy of the game.  If you like what you see in the demo, there's a good chance you'll like the game.
If I recall, yes there is a way to get them.  I've forgotten after all these years, but if I remember correctly you can get the ambassador class as well.  It has to do with changing something I think in one of the files but I can't remember exactly how it was done.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh...I'm gonna get it, but I have little to no spare cash now.

Why do you torment me Dash Jones?

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:01:17 am »
Okay, I have your answer.  It took me back to my modding days, and took a little time, so hopefully you're still reading this.  Also, just so we have it actually written down.  THIS IS NOT pirating, and was done quite a bit prior in the days when all we had was the Demo.  I went out and bought the game the day it was released, so forgive me if I didn't actually recall how it was done.  Now that I've actually sniffed around the files, the solution to your question is actually quite easy.

There are only three ships available in the demo on the default settings.  These are the Galaxy, the BirdofPrey, and the Warbird.  In order to fly another ship go to

C:\Program Files\Activision\Star Trek Bridge Commander Demo\scripts\ships

and there you will find 2kb files with ship and bridge names.  You simply change the name of the ship to the Galaxy, and you'll have that ship when you choose the Galaxy class in the demo.

You will also have to change the name of the Galaxy to whatever the ship you are replacing it with.

So for example, say I wanted to play an Akira class.  I'd change (use the rename file function) the Akira.pyc to read Galaxy.pyc and the Galaxy.pyc to read Akria.pyc then go in game and select the Galaxy class.

I believe in this manner you can also play the Sovereign class bridge.

You can also change the Warbird class if you so desire, with the same method.  Hence you could get two different types of Federation ships at a time even.

I would hesitate on changing the BirdofPrey.pyc as due to the name, it's the easiest to mess up.  make sure all your spelling stays the same.

All this is is modding the files in the game very slightly which means be careful so you don't royally screw up your game.

I actually d/l'ed the demo for this again just so I could help you, aren't we all so nice?
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 07:30:54 pm »
Yessir...thank you sir...

...do you want the last cookie, sir?