Topic: First in-depth preview of Star Trek: Legacy  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
First in-depth preview of Star Trek: Legacy
« on: May 11, 2006, 12:14:43 am »
From IGN

The game will feature many of the classic encounters from the series. After watching the Constitution version of the Enterprise launch from its dock above Mars, we jumped straight to the battle from The Wrath of Khan. As fans of the film remember, Kirk gets caught with his pants (read: shields) down and Khan moves in for the kill. As the phasers lance out towards Kirk's ship, Gary points out that the game features dynamic damage modeling. Wherever the phasers hit you'll see a glowing red hole burnt into the ship.

To even the odds a bit, Gary steers the Enterprise into a nearby nebula. All the controls were easily accessible on the Xbox 360 pad Gary was using to control the game. Simple analog steering allows you to set your heading, while a small triangular submenu allows you to set your power allocation to the shields, engines and phasers. Since Gary's shields were down anyway, he moved the small pipper closer to the engine point of the triangle. The engines glow a little brighter and start to make a slightly louder noise to provide a little visual feedback as well. Small bits of space dust fly by to give you a sense of how fast you're going.

Once Khan's ship entered the nebula, his shields were down too, so Gary redirected power to the phasers in anticipation of his counterattack. Phaser power here determines not only how quickly your phasers recharge but also their range and damage too. Steering the ship through its phaser arcs and launching photon torpedoes whenever he managed to obtain a lock, Gary made quick work of Khan's ship.

Well, this does answer some lingering questions on gameplay.  Like Mad Doc said, it isn't an RTS, but on the other other, it isn't as deep as SFC.  As long as its gameplay is more hands-on than BC, I'd say this gaming franchise has a pulse again.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: First in-depth preview of Star Trek: Legacy
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 12:57:14 am »
Now, if the docs would only stop charging rent on the pacemaker after you'd paid to have it implanted, many more people might be interested in it. ::)
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:12:26 am »
????? JC, this ain't st:online, this is a one time purchase....
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 01:35:22 am »
Oh, I thought this was the online game.

Carry on, then... and hopefully it'll be for PC.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 01:45:12 am »
Yes...legacy is comming out for both PC and x-box...Tactical assault will be for handhelds....niether have a monthly fee as of yet...

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:55:51 pm »
Elder Scrolls, Halo 3, And Now Legacy.

I must get a 360.

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 11:10:43 pm »
Yes...legacy is comming out for both PC and x-box...Tactical assault will be for handhelds....niether have a monthly fee as of yet...

One of the more interesting products unveiled by Microsoft at E3 is Live Anywhere.  Basically it extends XBox Live into Windows Vista and Windows Smartphone.  You'll be able to have cross platform live chat with your Live buddies from an XBox, a Vista PC, or a Windows Mobile smartphone.  Even more importantly, it allows cross platform play between the XBox 360 and Windows Vista PC's.  In other words, it will be possible for someone playing Legacy on a PC to challenge a player playing Legacy on an XBox 360.  Personally I find the prospect very exciting.
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 08:27:36 am »
Some of us old-schoolers have better things to do than keep trying to connect with players on different devices. Heck, I will not and never have bought a cellphone!  ;D

Offline gplana

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • ADB Staffer and GPD writer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 04:48:18 pm »
I've had a look at STAR TREK LEGACY, and it's all bad news, I'm afraid.

From what I can tell, the game engine is based on the old FASA pen-and-paper Starship Combat rules. It doesn't appear to use any rules elements from SFB or any version of SFC at all.

I don't know if this applies to STAR TREK TACTICAL ASSAULT, or not; I have been told that TA (for XBOX and PSP) is a subset of LEGACY, bt I have not seen TA so am unsure. So, no joy there, either.

The graphics are nifty, and I'm sure that the game is great, but as a die-hard SFB-er and SFC player, I'm very disappointed.

:cuss:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:37:01 pm by gplana »

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• Methane Breathing Weasel Capt. & Halo/RvB fanatic
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Hydran Capt Xeno Corp, XC clan overlord Halo 2
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 11:21:42 am »
I've had a look at STAR TREK LEGACY, and it's all bad news, I'm afraid.

From what I can tell, the game engine is based on the old FASA pen-and-paper Starship Combat rules. It doesn't appear to use any rules elements from SFB or any version of SFC at all.

I don't know if this applies to STAR TREK TACTICAL ASSAULT, or not; I have been told that TA (for XBOX and PSP) is a subset of LEGACY, bt I have not seen TA so am unsure. So, no joy there, either.

The graphics are nifty, and I'm sure that the game is great, but as a die-hard SFB-er and SFC player, I'm very disappointed.

:cuss:
TA is a movie gen starship game on the DS and PSP.  It's actually quite fun and the interface on the DS is really useful.  I have to admit, It's one of the better games on the handhelds.  I tried it out on a buddies DS and couldn't put it down for a while.  This is going to be my next game for my collection.  As for the relationship with Leagacy, I don't see one except for combat.  Old SFC fans should like this one even thouh it's a simpler version of our classic.