Topic: RIAA attempts to squash filesharing on college campuses (again)  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060430-6702.html
This just happened on my campus.  The file sharing community is not happy about it.

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
Re: RIAA attempts to squash filesharing on college campuses (again)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:41:33 am »
Then Maybe they should quit stealing music?

On our campus a computer found to have any P2P File sharing program is disconnected from our network.

GE-Raven

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 12:54:31 pm »
Maybe the RIAA's clients should stop charging 20 bucks for a CD.

Legality is only part of this picture.  Poor business practices have created the situation that the RIAA is attempting to put a lid on more than any other factor, save the existence of the internet itself.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 02:12:39 pm »
Maybe the RIAA's clients should stop charging 20 bucks for a CD.

Legality is only part of this picture.  Poor business practices have created the situation that the RIAA is attempting to put a lid on more than any other factor, save the existence of the internet itself.

At what price could you market a cd to compete with "free" filesharing?  It appears that even Itunes $.99 a song is not low enough.  Of course those evil business practices that require sending thousands of your product to radio stations for free in the hopes that your artist can make the top 40 sure don't help.

Stealing is stealing.  You can rationalize your theft however you desire... but if it weren't for rampant theft, software, music, and movies would be a hell of a lot cheaper than they are.

GE-Raven

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 03:05:55 pm »

Stealing is stealing.  You can rationalize your theft however you desire... but if it weren't for rampant theft, software, music, and movies would be a hell of a lot cheaper than they are.

GE-Raven

Oh I don't know about that, I think the RIAA companies would just be posting higher profits.  But I do agree that stealing is stealing no matter how your rationalize it.  Both sides are in the wrong, the problem is trying to find a levelheaded politician that can tackle the problem so it is fair for both the companies and for the consumers.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 03:07:44 pm »
Eh, I understand it from just a bandwidth and security stand point. Alot of those files are/could be infected with viruses, and file sharing sucks up a lot of network bandwidth.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 03:38:24 pm »
Eh, I understand it from just a bandwidth and security stand point. Alot of those files are/could be infected with viruses, and file sharing sucks up a lot of network bandwidth.

Bingo...

GE-Raven

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 03:39:10 pm »
Oops, I meant to post this in the Engineering forum.  Oh well.

I agree that using file sharing programs to illegally distribute copyrighted material is wrong, but I've grown to hate the RIAA.  They've gone off the deep end with how they try to fight technology.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 11:25:30 am »
At what price could you market a cd to compete with "free" filesharing?  It appears that even Itunes $.99 a song is not low enough.  Of course those evil business practices that require sending thousands of your product to radio stations for free in the hopes that your artist can make the top 40 sure don't help.

They could always just email them the MP3 instead.:)

The 'ramapant theft' part of your quote is an example of how the RIAA rationalizes their high prices, but it really doesn't wash.  The simple fact is that if people didn't share files, they'd tape songs off the radio or burn their friends CDs or sing the damn song themselves.

Gonna start dragging wet naked old ladies away in paddy wagons because they were singing Hank Williams in the shower?  Didn't think so.

Once any other person has heard the song, the genie's kinda outta the bottle on 'ownership'.

"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight