Topic: George Takei to appear on New Voyages!  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 08:26:42 am by Bonk »

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
Re: George Takei to appear on New Voyages!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 11:54:01 am »

This is the first I've heard of New Voyages.

At first glance at the page, I was prepared to file it under "fan fiction", but then I read on.  If they have hired DC Fontana and David Gerrold as authors (and they have!), then this is a lot more than fan fiction.  This is the real thing.

I see they've also hired Walter Koenig and Grace Lee Whitney as actors, as well as a young Grace Lee Whitney lookalike to play the young Janice Rand.  I wonder what Mrs Whitney looks like these days?  I haven't seen her since Star Trek III.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:30:59 pm »
First I've heard of it too. I read about it on Slashdot this morning:
http://slashdot.org/articles/06/01/20/0617246.shtml
which linked an article on it at trektoday.com:
http://www.trektoday.com/news/180106_03.shtml
I wonder how long it would take to download an episode on 31.2Kbps dial-up? I'm tempted to give it a try.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 03:43:37 pm »
I've had a hard time today getting It to download. If I ever do though get It to work, I'll send you and scip a copy if you want.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 03:52:29 pm »
I'd go for the torrents:

http://newvoyages.mine.nu:1701/index.html?sort=15

Holy cow! 2-4GB, that could take a week on my connection.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 06:19:15 pm »
At first glance at the page, I was prepared to file it under "fan fiction", but then I read on.  If they have hired DC Fontana and David Gerrold as authors (and they have!), then this is a lot more than fan fiction.  This is the real thing.

[blowing own horn]

Some fan fiction is as good, or better, as the 'real thing'.

[/blowing own horn]
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 06:22:53 pm »

[blowing own horn]

Some fan fiction is as good, or better, as the 'real thing'.

[/blowing own horn]

^ I'll second that. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 07:56:29 pm »
Thirded! *grin*
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 11:37:24 am »
Wasn't there some sort of Christian overtone to thefirst episode of this fan fiction series?  I'd give it a look-see if they could keep their moralizing out of it.  I have my own morals.  I don't need theirs.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 11:57:56 pm »
I had thought of Kirk having a Christian upbringing, and definately McCoy.  The way McCoy and Spock interact make it obvious.  I don't think they were forcing their ideals or morals on you, just projecting the characters' morals and ideals to the audience for you to make up your own mind about. :)
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 12:24:53 am »
Well, as with Gene Roddenberry's beliefs, I believe at least McCoy wasn't a Christian and regarded it--like how many religions today are regarded--as myths.  It's been a while since I've seen Star Trek V so I don't know if any contradictions happened between the that movie and the line McCoy spatted out in Star Trek II:

"According to myth, the Earth was created in six days.  Now watch out, here coomes Genesis!  We'll do it for you in six minutes!"

(I don't know if Christianity's a myth or not, so please don't bug me about it, bug McCoy when you discuss Trek.)

So, while Kirk and McCoy may or may not believe a God or Gods/Goddesses are out there, I don't believe they're truely Christians.  They might take lessons from the religion, but they treat them as stories, much like how we treat Star Trek as, even though Star Trek sometimes drops in a couple of lessons for humanity to learn.

Add to that, look at the negativity religion had, from statements that they're myths to having Gods slayed by Enterprise to invoking religion to justify terrorizing the NX-01 crew to how religion was viewed in a negative light in TNG episodes like "Who Watches the Watchers?", etc.  Though religion in general may have not been viewed entirely in negative light, like how DS9 allowed the Wormhole Aliens to masquerade around as gods for Bajorans to indian tribe religions in TNG and Voyager being practiced.

So... *shrug* I wouldn't be so sure the characters are Christians.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 05:52:41 am »
I guess it depends on what you think a christian is.  I've heard Jessie Jackson say Christianity was mythology, and he's a reverend, right?  I was pretty shocked when I heard him refer to it as such, but there it was.

Here's something I always wondered.  We have very few "indians" as it stands these days.  Then there was supposed to be this huge world wide holocaust, right?  So, how is it that there are plenty of indian descendants to go around in starfleet, and they all know they history and religion of their ancestors (and practice it too).  I would have to assume that they didn't all just sign up for starfleet eight.  Hmmmm.

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
  • Galaxy Class - as seen in DS9
    • Chris Jones Gaming
New Voyages!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 11:01:06 pm »
In Harms Way - is brilliant. It reprises William Windom as Commodore Decker. See it!

Great to see George on there - Walter as well.
..Because the game does not have to, and will not, remain the same..

Celebrating Life!
Favorite TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise