Topic: Tactical Assault Website  (Read 7567 times)

Offline ChessMess

• Lt. Junior Grade
Tactical Assault Website
« on: April 08, 2006, 02:42:51 pm »
Since Tactical Assault has ties into SFC, thought you may want to know the news...

http://stgu.com/startreknews/?pl=24

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Tactical Assault Website
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 12:24:19 am »
I'm in the process of contacting Quicksilver to arrange an interview for the gaming website I'm a writer for.

Any questions anyone wants me to ask if I get the interview?

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 12:06:39 pm »
Sadly, they don't seem interested in an interview at this time :(

Check out this shot though.

Looking more and more like SFC every day.

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 11:31:53 am »
If anyone still cares, check out this interview and these pictures.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/703/703840p1.html

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/800/800810/imgs_1.html

It's handheld SFC!

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 03:04:19 am »
Wow!  Looks like they have improved the interface considerably.  Too bad I'm not much into Handhelds or Consoles, this game looks really good for just the simple features it has.
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 08:43:57 am »
 >:( >:( >:( Grrrrr!  >:( >:( >:( Double Grrrr!!!  >:( >:( >:(  :-X

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
  • Galaxy Class - as seen in DS9
    • Chris Jones Gaming
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 09:52:32 am »
I agree with Bonk. I'm not paying money for this.

Reasons:

1. It's not for the PC  :(
2. It will difficult if not impossible to mod.  :(
3. It's not TNG or even close (here I go again) :(

I honestly don't think it will do well anyway, as it won't appeal to a mass audience because it's not TNG. Seems to me we could do a TNG, or multi-era, game for the PC that isn't dumbed down too much and will appeal to a mass audience. Maybe Legacy. NOT Tactical Assault.

Let's get some more money from the same code, lol..

Can't blame a guy for having an opinion...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:02:49 am by Chris Jones »
..Because the game does not have to, and will not, remain the same..

Celebrating Life!
Favorite TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 11:14:24 am »
I'm just too mad about it to say anything but GRRRRRRR!!!!  >:(  I don't want to make any enemies, I'm still hoping that Quicksilver will give us enough info to decode the sprites file.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 01:08:01 pm »
I'm just too mad about it to say anything but GRRRRRRR!!!!  >:(  I don't want to make any enemies, I'm still hoping that Quicksilver will give us enough info to decode the sprites file.

Yeah! Who cares about this new game! I want the OP code!!!!!   :-X

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 02:48:27 am »
The OP Source Code would be nice.  I heard months ago that some people here said that they were close to actually releasing the source code... then ... nothing.  No more reports about it. 
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 11:35:47 pm »
Okay, I've talked to Bethesda and I'm on the list.

Tomorrow morning at 9:00 I'm going to a behind-closed-doors theater-style media-only showing and demoing of Star Trek Legacy.  Shortly thereafter, I will be allowed to play hands on with Star Trek: Tactical Assault.

No, I'm not making this up, and will be taking pictures.

w00t!

Oh yeah, and HELLO FROM E3, EVERYONE!

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 02:36:40 am »
Nows That's cool....thanks for the update...

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
  • Galaxy Class - as seen in DS9
    • Chris Jones Gaming
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 09:20:13 am »
Okay, I've talked to Bethesda and I'm on the list.

Tomorrow morning at 9:00 I'm going to a behind-closed-doors theater-style media-only showing and demoing of Star Trek Legacy.  Shortly thereafter, I will be allowed to play hands on with Star Trek: Tactical Assault.

No, I'm not making this up, and will be taking pictures.

w00t!

Oh yeah, and HELLO FROM E3, EVERYONE!

Praxis you da man - who do you write for again? Sounds like you are doing quite well for yourself and having fun at the same time. Enjoy!
..Because the game does not have to, and will not, remain the same..

Celebrating Life!
Favorite TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 09:34:25 am »
Thanks :)  I write for http://www.nintendoplayers.com/ , that's how we got in to E3 (as media, early access hours, the ability to arrange interviews, etc).  Great fun.  I spent the first two days of E3 in Nintendo's booth (the one with the six hour line;  got in at the beginning of the day) and interviews.

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 08:51:53 pm »
Bethesda took me behind closed doors with a small group of other media guys and showed us on HD projectors a demo with a Mad Doc developer playing Star Trek: Legacy.  Afterwards, they took us downstairs to a room and let us play Star Trek Legacy and Star Trek: Tactical Assault (on both PSP and DS), hands on.

Star Trek: Tactical Assault for the DS plays exactly like Starfleet Command 1 for the PC.  A few of the more advanced power management functions have been removed, as has the campaign map (just missions), sadly, but for the most part in game it feels exactly like Starfleet Command.  The PSP version had graphics pretty close to Starfleet Command 3 without the glowies, much better than the DS version, however I found it a pain to control since you have to memorize a ton of button combinations to corrispond to each and every single option on the ship, from overloading weapons and shields to power turns and stuff like that, and there is no on screen HUD.  So I'd say the DS version is superior.  They even said that the goal was to make it a handheld Starfleet Command successor.  In fact, Quicksilver was literally called up and asked, "Hey, do you guys want to develop a handheld Starfleet Command for us?"

You can choose to play the DS version with buttons (ick) like the PSP version, or entirely with the touch screen.  My preferred control method was to hold it with my left hand and my left thumb on the D-pad (up and down control impulse speed, left and right allow you to turn) while using my right hand to hold the stylus on the touch screen.  While you could use the touch screen to turn while on the navigation panel, it was easier to just hit left or right and hold it until it reached the proper angle.

Star Trek Legacy is supposed to be Bridge Commander's spiritual successor, spanning all generations of Star Trek starting at TOS and going straight back to Voyager and DS9.  Interestingly, they designed it firstly for XBox 360 controllers, though keyboard and mouse can be used- the demoer showed it running on Windows XP, but played it through a wired XBox 360 controller plugged in to the PC via USB.  It controls very well, and feels somewhat like Bridge Commander with some SFC elements thrown in.  Feels better than Bridge Commander.  The demoer was a Mad Doc developer who previously worked on Bridge Commander, so a lot of inspiration was taken from it.  However, it's got very impressive fleet command stuff; during a Borg Cube battle you could press the Back button on the 360 controller and get a map, and select ships and order them to attack, or take direct control over any ship at any time.  Stunningly good graphics, too.

I forgot to ask the developer (I'll probably email him later, I have his number now), but I asked one of the Bethesda workers in the hands-on room and he said that while the game was currently being developed for Windows and XBox 360, porting it to PS3 or Wii was still being considered.

I'm DEFINITELY buying Tactical Assault; I might even pre-order it.  Great game, true handheld SFC successor, even down to the one-hit-kill asteroids.  Sad that there's no online play, but if the game sells the guys I talked to said that they had actually talked about online play and possibly dynaverse and it was very likely to be in any sequel that might be made.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and they wouldn't let me take pictures.  No cameras allowed inside.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 09:02:02 pm by Praxis »

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2006, 10:52:07 pm »
Did you ask about SFC4?

*kicks self in arse for not suggesting it earlier* :banghead:

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 11:14:46 pm »
No, didn't think to...
Who should I contact on that?  I could go to Quicksilver through the usual press channels, or use my new contact
 at Bethesda (the dev who presented everything gave out business cards with his number and email on it).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, yes, Tactical Assault has a skirmish mode and a Klingon campaign and Gorn and Romulans and Orion unlockable for skirmish mode as playable ships.  None of the other races like Lyrans.

It seems GameSpot also got the same hands-on demo as me.  IGN didn't get the hands-on demo (at least, they didn't write an article on it) but they've got screenshots Bethesda released from that same demo.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy/startrektacticalassault/news.html?sid=6150764

Also, the Warp button is only to take you to important story locations (much like Bridge Commander did)- no in-battle warping like SFC3, it's strictly SFC1 combat.

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 11:58:53 pm »
No, didn't think to...
Who should I contact on that?  I could go to Quicksilver through the usual press channels, or use my new contact
 at Bethesda (the dev who presented everything gave out business cards with his number and email on it).

Ok...*takes deep breath*

First...read this thread:

http://stgu.com/startrekforum/showthread.php?t=8243

Then this one:

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163364572.0.html

Then get your contact at bethesda to read them if you can.....I've allready pinged Quicksilver Devs on the idea and also Steve Cole....No one has stated that it would be out of the question....I even pinged the models forum to see if any modelers would be willing to donate content for listed game credit ( to help hold down dev costs)...

Everything is there in one tidy idea....I even have a title "StarFleet Command  4 :Strategic assault"

If we could just get them to do the code and structure...we could flesh it out for them...seriously...

What we need is for the idea of SFC4 to be floated at meetings or idea sessions...and we need to show them there will be a market for it...

And I seriously dont even think it will be in the next year or two....I just want to get the idea on their drawing board so they can mull it over......I'm thinking a duel ruleset will appeal to a wider market...and generate better sales...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 12:38:10 am by KBF-Crim »

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 11:27:35 pm »
Ship graphics look aweful, yet the user interface looks great.  I think they would be much better served by going for a kind of retro-looking feel and make the ships detailed wire-frames in a similar manner to the user interface graphics that they are presenting.  I feel a significant disconnect between the user interface and what I see in the game.  Not well executed as far as I can see.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 01:35:41 am »
Ship graphics look aweful, yet the user interface looks great.  I think they would be much better served by going for a kind of retro-looking feel and make the ships detailed wire-frames in a similar manner to the user interface graphics that they are presenting.  I feel a significant disconnect between the user interface and what I see in the game.  Not well executed as far as I can see.

You've got to remember that the graphics on the DS are Nintendo 64 quality.  Additionally, I think it runs at 60 FPS because it looked really good in motion when I was playing it, much better than the screenshots show.

The PSP version has very impressive graphics, but there IS no interface- you have to memorize button combinations for every ship function, which is a total pain.  I'd take the DS version any day.  Graphics are unimportant if the game is solid.

And I'm not sure I know what you mean about a disconnect.