Topic: So long, Nintendo Revolution. "Wii" hardly knew ye.  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
So long, Nintendo Revolution. "Wii" hardly knew ye.
« on: April 27, 2006, 03:04:15 pm »
From IGN

Remember when owing a Nintendo system was a status symbol?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: So long, Nintendo Revolution. "Wii" hardly knew ye.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 04:48:50 pm »
Sounds too Damn French to be fun.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 05:06:19 pm »
Holy Crap!  Could they have come up with something worse, and that defense of it is completely dillusional.  At least google and ipod didn't sound like a pre-existing word.  Gah!  And can you imagine going to a store and saying "do you have any we games" ummmm "No sir, we have no small games... although you might be interested in the lucky charms on aisle 5."  Just unbelievable.  Imagine walking through the store and hearing over the intercom "We've got a we right here in the electronics section"  or your friends asking "Hey, you got a wee" and you think "why is he asking me if I have to go to the bathroom.  I'm not even doing the dance."  Maybe their next hand held will be called a hud, and they can have a slogan "how would you like a hot hud in your hand".  You know, because a hud is a heads up display and is very tech and cool and sort of fighter pilotish.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:10:25 pm »
:rofl:

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 11:19:29 pm »
Oh boy.  Goodbye Nintendo.

True I was a Sega fanboy in the 16-bit era, but it's still sad to see Nintendo go out like this...being called the "Wii".

Although...whatever the folks at Nintendo were smoking when they named it...I think I want some.

Offline Riskyllama

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt.
  • Risky
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 10:13:35 pm »
Think of every gamer site on the web going on about it though. Its great publicity for them.
Everything is sweetened by risk. ~Alexander Smith

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 11:07:46 pm »
and Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Nintendo and Strife

*for MJ*  :) ;) ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 06:43:02 am by kmelew »
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 11:51:48 pm »
Yeah, but every game site was going to be talking about it anyway.  There are so few consoles out there, it's just going to happen.  The thing is, if the name is frowned up on, it may become a badge of shame to admit you own one.  What teenage boy (presumabely the largest market) is going to get together with his friends, all trying to act their coolest, and brag about his wii?  I think there's a molestation investigation in there somewhere.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 10:05:21 am »
Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

So, if a member of my group comes up to me and says, "We have a wii", I'm supposed to want to get in touch with our we wii?

No, I don't think so.  Let's just all keep our we wiis in our pants, please.   Thank you.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 06:03:12 pm »
Heh, I was thinking the same thing.  What happens when they release the smaller version (you know, after the tech is out for a while and they always have a smaller version of the console).  Will it be marketed as the wee wii?  Will you get people asking you if you want to come over to their place and play with their wee wii?