Topic: Lower Prices on Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD sets  (Read 6389 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Lower Prices on Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD sets
« on: February 27, 2006, 01:42:24 pm »
Go check out, for instance, Amazon.  I think there's some kind of sale going started by Paramount or whoever it is that distributes these boxed sets!  But only seasons 1, 2, and 3 are at reduced prices.  Seasons 4, 5, 6, and 7 are still at around $100 USD.

I picked up seasons 2 and 3 myself.  Even though I think there's maybe one (two maximum) episodes I like from season 1, I cant' bring myself to spend money on it.  Even season 2... I had to think about it, but some of those great Worf-Klingon Empire arc root stories are there.

If they ever cut the prices on the rest, I'll look for season 5, as I already have season 4 (paid full price for it when it was new!  Duh... well, I DID get to enjoy it for all this time, though).

I've got some viewing to do: TNG seasons 2, 3, 4; all seasons of TOS; season 4 of Enterprise, and that ONE season of Space: Above and Beyond.  I think this lineup beats whatever's on the air right now... though Teen Titans might come close (but I can't tell my kids that!).

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
Re: Lower Prices on Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD sets
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 08:40:19 am »
It was like that in early feb.

Didnt reduce the price for all 7 season box set.  Ordered on Vday as a bday/Vday gift for the GF.  (hasnt arrived yet)

(Yes, she DID request it)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:57:44 am »
You have a good women Sidious , Stay with her.

Thanks for the Info E. I might have to Pick up a few seasons. Now If only the Six Million Dollar man would come out on DVD I'd be a happy 70's kinda guy.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:47:57 am »
Stephen!  Guess what I DID see out on DVD.  It wasn't the $6 E +6 Man, but some shows I think were even better:

Time Tunnel ( ;)  ;D  ::) Hey, they might have been the U.S. precursor to the Starfleet Temporal Authority  :rofl:)

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (I liked their espionage episodes better than the pure sci-fi ones; more fun, I think.)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:51:37 am »
It was like that in early feb.

Didnt reduce the price for all 7 season box set.  Ordered on Vday as a bday/Vday gift for the GF.  (hasnt arrived yet)

(Yes, she DID request it)

Awww, YOU should have posted FIRST!!

In my house, my kids want to watch them almost as much as me (but we kill each other over which ep to put on, since I'm really a TOS purist and they used to think TNG was the first Trek show.  I turn all shades of red and get hot and offended when they laugh at the lower power output of the Kirk's ship phasers to Picard's.)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 12:01:22 pm »
Stephen!  Guess what I DID see out on DVD.  It wasn't the $6 E +6 Man, but some shows I think were even better:

Time Tunnel ( ;)  ;D  ::) Hey, they might have been the U.S. precursor to the Starfleet Temporal Authority  :rofl:)

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (I liked their espionage episodes better than the pure sci-fi ones; more fun, I think.)

Sweet. Time tunnel, Posidien etc, where some of the best works By that one guy.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 11:44:09 pm »
Ahhh...

... I broke down; I went and got a TNG Season 1 set... I wasn't going to get it, but the kids wanted it.  Seriously!

There's really only ONE episode I really like a lot in Season 1- Heart of Glory.  Ent-D picks up some Klingon renegades and they try to... what else?... take over the ship.

But there's a lot of that Klingon stuff, which I like, and a decent bit of hand phaser fire, and a TMP-ish D7 meeting the Enterprise (I remember when I first saw it when it aired I thought, "What is this?!  Is this some producer trick, to save money??  Where is the honor in reusing an old TMP movie model?  They didn't even show angle shots, only SFC-F3-mode head on views!")...

... And catch the phaser burn glows on the guys that got hit.  After Worf offs the last baaad Klingon, he falls off the scaffold through a glass floor, so you can see the spot where he was phasered still glowing orange on the way down!  I'll give the FX boys a medal for attention to detail!

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 07:35:40 am »
Yeah yeah, the Kids... Right, I believe you.  ;D ;D

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 08:01:29 am »
Sweet. Time tunnel, Posidien etc, where some of the best works By that one guy.

Stephen

I'm beginning to think that we need a thread just to announce TV shows and movies being released on DVD.   
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 12:13:43 am »
Hey folks!

ST:TNG seasons four and five are now reduced in price (about half) to about $40-50 USD!

Again, check, for instance, Amazon.com.  No go on seasons 6 and 7 yet.

Season 5 has the concluding ep of the Redempton two-parter about Picard and Ent crew reclaiming Worf's honor from Lursa and Bettor.  Great stuff.

It also has the Unification two parter with -ugh- "Ambassador" Spock.  They should have made him uberadmrial for all Starfleet and even a few civilian UFP departments (like the Chess Department or Bureau of Racial Affairs or some such).  Still, great arc.

Then, there's Darmok; superb ep.

And it has the opening ep of the two parter, Time's Arrow.  That one actually gave me the willies... strongly.

Season four has also a bunch of good ones.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 05:47:08 pm »
I think the same goes for DS9 4 and 5.  I already had DS9 season 5, but we picked up season 4 just this week for around 50.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 05:48:52 pm »
As for DS9, I think I really just might get the sets that contain the Dominion War.  Otherwise, I didn't care for that show really as much as TNG or even ENT, though it was better than VOY most of the time.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 06:53:31 pm »
I picked up seasons 4 and 5 several weeks ago at the reduced price.  I'm waiting for seasons 6 and 7 and TOS to come down now.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 10:41:20 pm »
Ah, TOS may take a while... 'cuz they know old codgers like me will get it anyway.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 08:46:03 pm »
Ah, TOS may take a while... 'cuz they know old codgers like me will get it anyway.

I've seen them all so many times (mostly in black and white!) that I am not in a hurry to get the DVDs.  TNG I've only seen most of, I can wait to see the rest.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 10:15:18 pm »
 :lol:

Yeah, I first watched it on black and white, too!  I'm not sure if I enjoyed it that way more or in color!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 07:31:09 am »

Volume 2 is now out. 

There also appears to be a pilot for a remake series in the works.  No real details available other than 2007.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 10:21:24 am »

I just saw the first 2 seasons of TOS on sale for 1/2 the release price (season 3 was not on the shelf).  TNG seasons 6 and 7 were also marked down substantially though not as far as seasons 1-5 have been.

I didn't get any of them yet.  I did get a DVD of This Island Earth.  Finally a replacement for the tape my older sister copied over (after promising to be careful!!).

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 02:34:32 pm »
Saw all three seasons of TOS at Costco for 45 bucks.    They had a bunch of TNG there too, but I didn't bother to see which seasons.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 11:44:44 pm »
They finally got the 6th and 7th season TNG sets and all (though only a few left) DS9 sets for $44.95 each.

But I didn't see any TOS, at any price.  In fact, the last time I saw it there, it was at the full price of about $89 or so.