Topic: Potential new Star Trek animated series unveiled  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Potential new Star Trek animated series unveiled
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:04:46 pm »
From TrekMovie.com

Oh great; cheesy art with a "beat-you-over-the-head" allegorical plotline.  Not my cup of tea.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
Re: Potential new Star Trek animated series unveiled
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:31:32 am »
You'll be watching it and loving it.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:26:37 am »
The "everyone loves each other" idea was getting old anyway.  The Federation started as Human standing between Andoria and Vulcan with the Tellarites joining in for the hell of it.  200 years and 150 species later, the Dominion came in to shake things up, and occupying Betazed among others did that.  I imagine Betazed would be a little pissed that the Federation let them down, liberated or no.

Anyway, everyone's all buddy-buddy and it got old.  A couple things bug me about the execution of the plan.  The storyline kicks total ass, and a little bit of throwback to TOS might relate to having large portions of the Federation bannned to sublight by Omega detonations, and blending eras would work great.  However, animating the series in the Orbitz-car-insurance-commercial-style....  no.  Just no.  CGI would be a great wat to go, all CGI, with characters that can be programmmed once with several facial expressions and movements so that all they'd have to do is plug in dialog and the character will just do it.  Besides, ship designs ar soooooo much cooler in CGI!
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 03:07:41 pm »
I've thought about a similar plot idea before.  I'm wondering if it seems a bit too different.  I guess I'd have to watch it to find out for sure.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:53:41 am »
However, animating the series in the Orbitz-car-insurance-commercial-style...

I hate to admit it, but I like that style.  Might not work so great for Trek, though.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 02:11:25 pm »
There's a comment that was posted under that linked article I'd like to quote... I haven't read much of any posted comments, but the following caught my attention (with a paraphrase of any profanities):

I’m not so close minded as to say this wouldn’t satisfy some fans appetite for something new in the Trek universe that defies convention and where the show has been before, but this is just entirely too much of a stretch for me, too related to Battlestar Galactica.

Roddenberry postulated humanity survives, that is the fundamental appeal of Star Trek, here is yet another post armageddon scenario of picking up the peices of a calamity and having a semblance of normality.

Why is everything doom and gloom today and distorted with a cynical view?

What happened to bright, cheery, even naive optimism. That is what Star Trek was always all about. And just as in 66, the world today NEEDS that unbiased, untainted optimism.

If I wanted to see this [****] I’d turn on the world news.

I'd say I'd agree with that, at least mostly if not all... I'd go for a new Trek animated series, but I think it should have more optimism than doom and gloom; save the doom and gloom for the new BSG.  Keep a touch for Trek for a touch of realism and allowance for story-telling that could mirror our real world (without being too politically-biased), but allow the main message of optimism that makes Star Trek so good.

That, and probably new animators...  I can go for animated Trek, but as long as it keeps the spirit of Trek and as long as it has good animation.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 09:10:59 pm »
The retro animation style would be cool if they were doing a Star Trek spoof on late-night cartoon network.  However, this looks to be the screen-apperance of Trek people will be relying on.  I'll watch (or download) every episode if it's CGI, but not one if it's like that.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.