Topic: How many are playing Star Wars: Empires at War?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
How many are playing Star Wars: Empires at War?
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:52:26 pm »
I just want to get a numbers count who is playing the game. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: How many are playing Star Wars: Empires at War?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 06:16:16 pm »
Memememememememe... pick me!
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 02:01:43 pm »
Awesome game. I'm on the Kashyyk mission in the Rebel Alliance campaign, but I'm building some "big guns" beforehand. Fun fun stuff.
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 03:30:39 pm »
I haven't actually played the campaign yet.  I went straight to Conquer mode.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 04:40:37 pm »
I am trying to get the feel of the game and exprimentw/ all the settings. otherwise the rebel alliance is in trouble. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:39:23 pm »
is playing the game. (is stuck on the mission where you have to capture a ton of shuttles before they get to Kessel.)

Offline Riskyllama

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt.
  • Risky
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:27:34 am »
am as well. have noticed a distinct inability to use the 8 person option in multiplayer.
Everything is sweetened by risk. ~Alexander Smith

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:40:51 am »
I saw it at Best Buy today, is that the one that comes in a cloth package and is where you control the strategics of the SW Empire or Rebel Alliance?

I was thinking of snagging it, but I want to see if it is worth it. Also, do I need to make space on my desk for my joystick?

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 07:06:16 am »
I saw it at Best Buy today, is that the one that comes in a cloth package and is where you control the strategics of the SW Empire or Rebel Alliance?

I was thinking of snagging it, but I want to see if it is worth it. Also, do I need to make space on my desk for my joystick?

I think the cloth one is actually a T-shirt.  Mine came in a cardbox sleeve-over plastic kind of case, but they had a cloth one too, that I thought was a t-shirt.  Ask before you buy.

Also, no joystick.  It's 100% mouse.  It's basically like command & conquer in the Star Wars Universe.  You send a space fleet to a planet and if the enemy has a fleet there (or a space station) you fight it.  If you win you can land ground troops (note:  the rebel player can slip up to 4 ground troops onto a planet through stealth, no battle necessary).

Once on the ground, you fight again.

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 05:30:48 pm »
I'll pass then, I was hoping to have fleet control but be able to slip into an X-wing or TIE when the need arose, as well as pilot an AT-AT or snowspeeder.  :(

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 11:38:37 am »
I borrowed my Sons copy, so far It's Pretty fun. I love the cinematic button.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF-WillWeasel

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • beware the crap
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 09:16:06 am »
Many times I have brought in 5 Star destroyers, set them on move attack in the direction of the rebel base and just sit back and watch.

I'm going to get one of the mods, or do it myself, however to up the pop cap in battles I think. I want like a dozen destroyers against 7-8 mon cals plus fighters. Get a battle going like the menu screen has going.
Somewhere north of the Azores.
KBF always

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 09:30:03 am »
The campaign missions are fun.  Honestly, a lot of the space fights do seem one-sided.  Either I completely obliterate the enemy with ease or vice versa, with very few nail-biting 'both sides must work for victory' type moments.

The land battles, on the other hand have me cursing and spitting and regretting the lost credits as an AT-AT keels over or a squadron of Snowspeeders drills into the earth when I didn't notice the AA guns. 

Kind of unusual for me to be having so much fun with a real-time strategy game.  My patience for them is usually quite limited.  I liked Age of Kings but grew frustrated with it and quit playing...same for it's Star Wars clone 'Galactic Battlegrounds' which I thought I might have more tolerance for based on the source material.  Empire at War though seems to have struck a very nice balance.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 10:10:36 am »
I'm kinda stuck on that Capture Carrie Fisher Mission. I have this habit of going in with about 30 or so Star Destroyers, and yes, I only have 6 - 7 on the screen, But It's a pain getting them into the Nebula before the X-wings come out doing Recon.

I'm open to advice on this one Friends.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 03:13:39 pm »
I'm kinda stuck on that Capture Carrie Fisher Mission. I have this habit of going in with about 30 or so Star Destroyers, and yes, I only have 6 - 7 on the screen, But It's a pain getting them into the Nebula before the X-wings come out doing Recon.

I'm open to advice on this one Friends.

Stephen

Have a star destroyer and interdiction cruiser in reserve.  The rebel scum will dive on your ships in the nebula (get them out quick, no shields in there) and the Princess will make a run for it.

Bring in the star destroyer from reserve, right next to her ship, tractor her and bring her to Lord Vader.  Drop interdiction cruisers in areas of the map where there are no rebels.

Do not fail him again.

Offline KBF-WillWeasel

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • beware the crap
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 03:20:24 pm »
the two times I tried it i found keep the Destroyers out of the Asteroids. If they skirt the edge they can fire on the pirate base still. Once you have killed the hangar, allways kill this first tie fighters blow vs pirate fighters, start moving the cap ships toward the northern nebs. If one of yer cap ship strays into the roids I found it may be best to just leave it there or let it kill itself. I had a Victory that got right in the middle and it could not move a foot w/o losing 1/2 it's shield. I left it by the broken base and the rebel x-wings came in and did not see it.

after that make sure you have at least one Garv well ship near the edge of the neb. Once Vader says grab her you have about 30 seconds to clear the neb and engage grav well. After that if you lost a cap ship or two and have a Imperial SD as a reenforcement just have it jump in right next to the Corvette and snag it.
KBF always

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 09:50:04 pm »
Where can I d/l these mods? :)
I think I am missing out on some of the fun. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 11:28:08 pm »
Mods?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline KBF-WillWeasel

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • beware the crap
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 01:42:45 am »
Where can I d/l these mods? :)
I think I am missing out on some of the fun. ;D

I have not found one I really like yet. Some of the best ones in the works can't come out yet, like the ones that add ROTJ ships such as the SSD and B-wings, due to the modling tools have not been released yet.

I am still learning how to up just the pop cap and maybe tweak some of the firepower of a few units, nothing drastic.

The mods that up pop limit also mess with too many other things that I don't really want to mess with just yet
KBF always

Offline Musashi NCC-BR549

• Grand High Mufti ...(NCC Fatwa Advisor)
  • Commodore
  • Well, that settles that!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 03:33:58 pm »
Obi, Han, Chewy and 3 infiltrator teams can take just about any planet.  It takes time, cash, and Strategery.

Fun game!
"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, bad a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936