Topic: Medieval 2: Total War announced!  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Medieval 2: Total War announced!
« on: January 20, 2006, 10:57:28 am »

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Medieval 2: Total War announced!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 11:01:01 am »
I really wish they'd take that engine into the Napoleonic & American Civil War era.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 11:53:48 am »
I really wish they'd take that engine into the Napoleonic & American Civil War era.

The Federals wouldn't stand a chance. ;)
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:55:46 am »

Napoleonic I can see happening over a Civil War one, since Creative's in England.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:59:52 am »
There is a Napoleonic Mod for MTW now, but I have trouble getting it to play.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 10:41:05 am »

Got a link?:)

I'd love to see an 'Age of Rifles' era game with that engine, too.  As Carney can attest, one of my favorite wargames was set in that period.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 04:55:22 pm »

Got a link?:)

I'd love to see an 'Age of Rifles' era game with that engine, too.  As Carney can attest, one of my favorite wargames was set in that period.

http://lordz.thelordz.co.uk/index.php?index

They are apparently also working on an American Revolution mod.   :o

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 09:30:08 pm »
Yeah... La'ra is right. Age of Rifles is a great way to kill some time- and a lot of Yankees, too! It was fun taking the Army of Northern Virginia into Washington.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 10:07:53 pm »
Yeah... La'ra is right. Age of Rifles is a great way to kill some time- and a lot of Yankees, too! It was fun taking the Army of Northern Virginia into Washington.

I liked some of the more obscure battles on that one...Peru vs Chile!  The American 'invasion' of Korea!  US Marines fighting alongside French, German, and Japanese troops in the Boxer Rebellion.

Yeah, I'd love a Total War version of that game.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 12:02:39 pm »
I too, would to see one. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 06:01:55 pm »
After trying these, I'd steer clear of the ATW mod until it's been patched.  it seems rather unstable.  The latest Napoleonic mod seems fine.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 07:51:04 pm »
So I'm guessing there's a general consenus here to take a pass on a new Medieval/Renaissance TW game?

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 08:47:30 pm »
Oh heck no.. I'd love to revist it with the Rome engine.  It's MUCH better.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 09:06:28 pm »
I was being sarcastic, but I've been seeing a lot of "I wish it was [Insert Era]: Total War."  That said, this one sounds fairly ambitious if they're covering that ammount of time in one game.  I mean, take a look at warfare from the end of the Viking invasions up to the age of discovery in the New World.  It's like the difference between the Civil War era and the Romulan War era, for example.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 09:25:37 pm »
I was being sarcastic, but I've been seeing a lot of "I wish it was [Insert Era]: Total War."  That said, this one sounds fairly ambitious if they're covering that ammount of time in one game.  I mean, take a look at warfare from the end of the Viking invasions up to the age of discovery in the New World.  It's like the difference between the Civil War era and the Romulan War era, for example.

Actually, manuever warfare changed very little from the time of the Pharoahs until just before the American Civil War, only the weapons being employed changed.  Sure there were some minor tactical adjustments, but formation warfare was the point and the formation that broke, lost.

The rifle and machinegun have changed warfare forever.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 09:33:21 pm »
Actually, manuever warfare changed very little from the time of the Pharoahs until just before the American Civil War, only the weapons being employed changed.  Sure there were some minor tactical adjustments, but formation warfare was the point and the formation that broke, lost.

And somehow Europe missed the memo about the changes until 1914...

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 09:53:04 pm »

One reason that I'd like to see the American Civil War-WWII done in this kind of game. Warfare changes so much in those 80 years that it's a totally new animal.

And somehow Europe missed the memo about the changes until 1914...

It's not OUR fault- we spent the entire year of 1864 tryin to get them to read it, and then sent a reminder in 1899. ;D

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 10:23:19 pm »
Wouldn't WWI tanks trundling forward firing their 6-pounders and MGs look good on the Total War engine? ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:55:55 am by Commander La'ra »

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 07:03:16 am »
Wouldn't WWI tanks trundling forward firing their 6-pounders and MGs look took on the Total War engine? ;D

OH!  That'd be slick!

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 11:01:53 am »
Wouldn't WWI tanks trundling forward firing their 6-pounders and MGs look good on the Total War engine? ;D

Even better, how about the Battle of Kursk?
A couple of THOUSAND tanks rumbling around on the battlefield AT ONCE!

This engine has SO much potential... hopefully they will get the most out of it.