Topic: New SFC-like game coming to PSP and Nintendo DS  (Read 5303 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
New SFC-like game coming to PSP and Nintendo DS
« on: January 15, 2006, 12:47:37 pm »
From Trek Core

I may just have to invest in a Nintendo DS.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
Re: New SFC-like game coming to PSP and Nintendo DS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 07:36:22 pm »
Hmmm, and it's being developed by quicksilver.  Hmmm, interesting.  Sadly, I'm unlikely to pick up either of those systems, so...

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 07:57:18 pm »
I like the idea for one reason and one reason only: SFC on an airplane, or on a car trip, or what have you.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 08:16:40 pm »
I like the idea for one reason and one reason only: SFC on an airplane, or on a car trip, or what have you.

SFC on my next deployment, baby!

If we go back for another rotation, I'll invest in one of these.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 08:38:49 pm »
Of course we don't know the depth of play yet, right?  ;)

Offline FPF-AJTK

• You make it to the second commercial if your a
  • Lt.
  • Founding Member of the BLUE PLAGUE
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 05:06:22 am »
I already have a PSP, and the NCL pictured has SIX (6) shields, so I am IN! These boyos even mention SFC in the description of the game for cripes sake, its probably as close to a direct port as they could go.

OR, on an even more hopeful note, they are trying to go not for SFC, but for SFB!
RE-VER-SE: To move backwards, retrograde; movement that is not forward in nature.

[img]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/wanderer/_uimages/AJTK.jpg

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 05:51:13 am »
Quicksilver still shows starfleet command on their showcase page.....
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 06:00:29 am »
I just wish there was going to be a PC version.  Even if it's simplified, if done right, it can be fun.  Heck, I just bought Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon, and had a ball with it (more than I ever had with SFCIII, that's for sure).  It's simple, and yet it gets the job done.  Maybe this is a little something to test the market to see if a full scale tactical assault game is viable.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 10:12:26 am »
 8)  I wonder if there are PSP emulators for the PC yet?

Offline Toast

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 12:30:42 pm »
Well this shows life i reckon i would be more interested in a ps2/3 or xbox stuff ,as unique as sfc series is as a whole would be interesting to see how the gameplay pans out, IMO here is the true answer to the holy code release ROFL  ;D I suppose if the money utters for this title can produce maybe it will lead into another game sfc4???? hehe.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 12:44:08 pm »
I may just have to invest in a Nintendo DS.

This didn't get me to think about doing it (I'm a Nintendo fan that recently gave up getting new stuff for my old consoles.), but at least this gives me one more reason to get one.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 01:10:19 pm »
It reads like it did get you thinking about it... ;)
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 01:53:12 pm »
IMO here is the true answer to the holy code release ROFL ;D

:D

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 03:58:56 pm »
It reads like it did get you thinking about it... ;)

Well, I meant when I first heard of the Nintendo DS, I considered it because it's like the Nintendo 64 in my pocket in some ways, and I'm getting more and more hesitant on getting new games for the PC and for what consoles I have.  The DS made me almost change my mind before this news, but I also didn't get it due to budget concerns.  Now with this news, I might consider it again and maybe save up some money and buy it in late-2006 maybe.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline FPF-AJTK

• You make it to the second commercial if your a
  • Lt.
  • Founding Member of the BLUE PLAGUE
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 05:47:58 am »
If your gonna blow the cash, get the PSP, it is a FAR more versatile gadget. You can play games, yes. But you can also browse the internet, wirelessly at any of the same hotspot type places you would with your laptop. (The original psp program didnt come with a browser, but Sony has added one now, you can view full pages exactly as you would on a pc, no cell phone type crap)

You can also watch movies on the UMD discs, which is really cool when your bored at work and tired of playing Battlefront 2. It uses the little Sony memory Duo cards or san disk cards of same exact type which atm go up to 2 gigs! You can dload entire movies to the thing, other video clips. Tons of music, do file transfers from pc to pc.

A very versatile device that Sony is still adding capability to.
RE-VER-SE: To move backwards, retrograde; movement that is not forward in nature.

[img]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/wanderer/_uimages/AJTK.jpg

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 10:36:42 pm »
I may have to murdalize someone.  If this is the reason we did not get the SFC sources, I am gonna hafta spit.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 10:42:27 pm »
I may have to murdalize someone.  If this is the reason we did not get the SFC sources, I am gonna hafta spit.

Another of those rare times when we totally agree...only I will do more than spit...

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 02:36:22 pm »

I really want to see the details.  If it is just a simplified version of SFC, then why bother?  (I already own the full version.)  If, on the other hand, it adds new content........  well, I'll have to see.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline oldmanken

• Le Boss!
  • Lt.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 11:54:33 am »
If your gonna blow the cash, get the PSP, it is a FAR more versatile gadget. You can play games, yes. But you can also browse the internet, wirelessly at any of the same hotspot type places you would with your laptop. (The original psp program didnt come with a browser, but Sony has added one now, you can view full pages exactly as you would on a pc, no cell phone type crap)

You can also watch movies on the UMD discs, which is really cool when your bored at work and tired of playing Battlefront 2. It uses the little Sony memory Duo cards or san disk cards of same exact type which atm go up to 2 gigs! You can dload entire movies to the thing, other video clips. Tons of music, do file transfers from pc to pc.

A very versatile device that Sony is still adding capability to.

That's all well and good, but I want to play games... that being the one area where the PSP is seen as a failure.  The battery life and load times kill the system as a portable gaming platform.  If cheaper and without these two problems the PSP might be worth the cash.

The DS, on the other hand, is gaming sex!  I got one for Christmas and have yet to go a single day without playing one of the games I own.  The control mechanism is intuitive and fresh, and is something which is completely unique to the DS platform.  And the games...  Mario Kart DS isn't just a good portable version of the series, but instead the best game in the series, period.  Kirby Canvas Curse has me addicted, and its ouch screen use is just fantastically original.  Metroid Prime Hunters (not released until March, except for the demo) is just as sweet as the console counterparts, and the touch screen controls are the next best thing to a mouse and keyboard.  Now with an SFC type game coming down the pipe, I will be more than satisfied with the gaming experience..  aka the primary purpose of these handheld systems.

There is a reason why the DS has outsold the PSP 2:1 (4:1 in Japan)... it's a better gaming platform.
"Purgatory is kinda like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really sh*t, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham." - Ray (Colin Farrell) in In Bruges

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 08:35:47 pm »
The only problems I see up front is that the Roms are only in the online play!  lol  Unfortunately I don't have a wireless router set up for my DS.  I guess if it was cheap I could get one. 

Any new news since this article came out?  I can't find anything else on the game. 

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis