Topic: Silent Hunter IV -- Pacific Campaign  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Silent Hunter IV -- Pacific Campaign
« on: December 16, 2005, 10:24:10 am »
For those of us who enjoyed the hell out of tearing up Allied convoys in the North Atlantic...well, it's the Japanese who're next on the list.

Don't have any details.  Just got the email from Subsim.com today.

But I'm happy.  Tokyo Bay, here I come!
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Silent Hunter IV -- Pacific Campaign
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 10:39:58 am »
Got that as well.  Said they start development in the spring of '06.  I hope it doesn't take very long to write an expansion pack, but given the level of detail, the maps along will be a massive effort.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 12:43:41 pm »
Even if we don't get it till fall of next year, it'll be worth the wait!

I just hope that they have EVERY class of Jap ship and integrate enemy subs into it. I wanna sink the Shinano. ;D

Though for a change of pace... well, what if you are playing as the IJN instead? ;)
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 01:52:21 pm »
Even if we don't get it till fall of next year, it'll be worth the wait!

I just hope that they have EVERY class of Jap ship and integrate enemy subs into it. I wanna sink the Shinano. ;D

Though for a change of pace... well, what if you are playing as the IJN instead? ;)

I don't think Japanese submarine doctrine would lend itself to a good game over the long run. With their capital ships first and cargo second the Japanese subs were not able to influence the war in the way that the Germans did in the Atlantic and the US did in the Pacific. That said I would very much like the chance to sail the Japanese boats as they were quite good and and some of them were even very innovative.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 02:20:21 pm »
I don't think Japanese submarine doctrine would lend itself to a good game over the long run. With their capital ships first and cargo second the Japanese subs were not able to influence the war in the way that the Germans did in the Atlantic and the US did in the Pacific. That said I would very much like the chance to sail the Japanese boats as they were quite good and and some of them were even very innovative.

Yeah, Nip sub ops were very strange. It wouldn't make for a very action-packed career.... but the possibilities it could lead to might be interesting.

I mean, imagine having command of one of their plane-carying subs and getting a mission that required you to use your aircraft as an artillery spotter. You'd have to be savy enough to avoid detedction loong enough to launch the plane, avoid detection, and then recover it afterwards!
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 08:09:35 am »
I too, got that email. and I am looking forward to getting that game.

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 01:13:18 pm »
Got that as well.  Said they start development in the spring of '06.  I hope it doesn't take very long to write an expansion pack, but given the level of detail, the maps along will be a massive effort.

The release date at Subsim says Q3 2007, so you have a bit of a wait ahead of you.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 07:34:26 pm »
The release date at Subsim says Q3 2007, so you have a bit of a wait ahead of you.

Well, crap.

Still, Hong Kong will live in fear of me eventually. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight