Topic: USS Alabama WIP  (Read 3374 times)

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
USS Alabama WIP
« on: December 15, 2005, 11:35:17 pm »
Almost done now ...  I noticed I missed a light or two on a pylon ..  but we are just about there.

If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: USS Alabama WIP
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 11:59:42 pm »
FROM: Chief of Starfleet Operations, San Fransisco, Terra
TO   :  Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Alabama (NCC-2290)

SUBJ: SHAKEDOWN CRUISE

Shakedown operations for U.S.S. Alabama are canceled.

Proceed at best possible top speed to coordinates GalLat 117D 42.210M GalLong +6D 14.335M DistArbGalCore 240145 L.Y. there to rendevous with U.S.S. Simmes (NCC-1465) and U.S.S. Chickamauga (NCC-2043).

Further instructions to follow at later time.

Sorry, Commodore... guess you'll have to work out your problems en route.

GL/GH.

Fleet Adm. Heihachiro Nogura sends

END TRANSMISSION
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 12:49:16 am »
The textures look good Buzz, but those nacelles look very slim/thin compared to the 'bulk' of this one.

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 12:53:46 am »
I find no fault... 'course, I'm really kinda biased. ;D
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:35:32 am »
The textures look good Buzz, but those nacelles look very slim/thin compared to the 'bulk' of this one.

Actually ...   those are stock nacelles ..   I did that to give ya an idea if the size of the ship.  The idea of 4 nacelles are not necessarily for the extra power so much as 4 screws to run on  (much like the BB's of WWII) ..   additional drive stability ..  etc

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 11:23:17 am »

Actually ...   those are stock nacelles ..   I did that to give ya an idea if the size of the ship.  The idea of 4 nacelles are not necessarily for the extra power so much as 4 screws to run on  (much like the BB's of WWII) ..   additional drive stability ..  etc

I can respect that, but I still think they're too thin  :P. Especially compared to the massive saucer and sec hull. Just my $.02

-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 12:02:21 pm »
I think you will like the profile of the Iowa class better.  Just as in the case of their WWII counter parts:

South Dakota
Mass
Alabama

these were considerably bigger and faster than their WWI predecessors ..  but were still not as sleek, fast and advanced as:

Iowa
Missouri
NJ
Wisconsin

I hope that when you compare the completed Iowa class you will see that it should be about the same length ..  and running on 4 screws ..  but has a lower profile and is more Tech advanced (stronger shields better warp cores etc).  Obviously the Tech side those who choose to use them in game will need to "tweak" that part of the specs accordingly.

At any rate  ....   that was what I had in mind.

thanks

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 01:51:01 pm »
Hey, OB...

If you REALLY want some stats for the Iowa's that give them the 'biger, better, faster, more' feel, use Heavy Photons for main armament and replace any ph-3's with ph-2's.

That'll give them an almost TNG-ish scale whewn comparing weapons power to the South Dakota.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 01:57:50 pm »
Actually ..  hehehe

that was kinda what I had in mind ...

plus a few G-phs on both models  (with 360 mounts).  What BB would be complete with out those ..   especially with all of those fighters in OP !

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 02:36:42 pm »
That mound on the dorsal saucer looks a little off at the forward position.  It looks either like the saucer raises up at that point, or the mound sinks in at that point. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 08:35:40 pm »
I really like the secondary hull as a precursor to TNG seconday hulls

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 09:18:59 am »
TY...

The overall idea is that betwen the Iowa and Alabama you will see elements of TNG ships.

( I was kinda hoping someone would notice )

thanks !

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 04:46:09 pm »
I really like this ship.  I feel that this is a better representation of a BB during the TMP era then that ugly Missouri Class some people are talking about in another thread.

Ya, the Engines are just basically the same as a Connie, but I think it helps show how massive this vessel really is.  Also, it probably relies on existing technology to build her then the latest thing out there.
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline NannerSlug

• Master of the "Magic Photon"
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • SFC3.Net
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 12:27:40 am »
I agree mags. I believe that this is the type of BB we should have seen with the game - not somthing that is double hulled and UGLY like the current one. :)

sweet job buzz.
"A Republican thinks every day is July 4th. A Democrat thinks every day is April 15th." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 03:03:23 am »
Nanner, its been a while.  NIce to see ya again.   :)

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 07:35:19 am »
WOW !

you have no idea how flattered I am to have the two of you gents (since you have been a part of the SFC community since ..  like the beginning of time I think) ..   to speak so highly of any of my  work ...  (awwwww  shucks  ... face turns red)

heheh

thanks for the compliments from everyone.  We should be getting close to completion ..   

thanks

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 02:35:56 pm »
Speaking of the original speaking, I found this great pic worth a show me thinks :)

http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/us_navy/01_15_01_uss_alabama.jpg
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 03:18:47 pm »
I passed up a few opportunities to see the Alabama a few years ago.  A large number of my relatives live in Alabama; Florida; and La ..  Kinda wished I hadn't now.  As I understand it Katrina closed the park. 

Good pic though.

thanks

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 07:11:34 pm »
I notice in that pic that the ship has a Radar Dish.  I don't know much about the history of the Alabama, but when was it decommisioned?  Looks like it was in service for quite some time if it has advanced radar.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 07:18:14 pm »
According to this website, http://www.ussalabama.com/html/history/index.php it was decomissioned in 1965.