Topic: The scale for Base models  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
The scale for Base models
« on: December 12, 2005, 10:00:37 am »
Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to the Models forum, but I've been busily DLing from the Battleclinic. I love the Base and Station models, but in actually creating a mission to include them in, I've discovered that the models themselves are just too damn big.

Specifically, MRJOHN has designed and built the stupendous Federation War Base, converted to SFC format from BC by ModelsPlease. I love the design and want it in my missions.
However, the thing is twice the diameter of an SFC PLANET, not including the booms. Admittedly the planets are not to scale with the ships, but the base is still to big. It's practically a Fed Death Star. It wouldtake about 20 years to build a station this big, and there would be no need for it, really.
Similarly the Federation Tactical Asteroid Base by LONGISLAND26 and ported in by ModelsPlease.

Can I make a request of ModelsPlease (or anyone else with the correct programs): Could you alter these bases to reduce their scale to something usable in a game? I'm wanting the main "mushroom disk" part of these bases the same relative size as Earth Spacedock's. Again, similarly for the Asteroid Tactical Base, and any other bases in battleclinic sporting a Spacedock-style "mushroom disk".
Anyone else feel this way, or are you of the opinion "bigger is better"?

A lot of work, I know. If it's too much, can anyone recommend to me a free DLable program that I could do this myself? I have no programs as yet, but Milkshape-3D and Anim8or has been suggested.

On another note, WickedZombie's Federation Base Station. While too big for a standard Military Outpost/Trading Post, is perfect for an actual Space Colony. A huge but unarmed/lightly defended space station where tens of thousands of people live, possibly in orbit of a gas giant for resources, and in a very secure area of the UFP that has lots of starships patroling the area. That's what I'm going to use it for, anyway. It's a gorgeous model.

Anyhoo, just my take on this. I look forward to any replies/comments.
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
Re: The scale for Base models
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:06:53 am »
There should be a new base there soon ..  SB777  ...  I think MP now has a copy of that to be uploaded there.  There will also be a lower poly version of that soon for the game.

thanks
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 10:17:18 am »
Yeah, I've alredt commented on that one, but it's going to be massive as well. Are their any smaller-scale ones that can actuallbe be used in-game?
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:42:51 am »
There are a few.  When MP logs on I'm sure he can help locate them.  (I'm at work right now .. so my time on forum boards is limited ...  IF I intend to keep my job that is )!

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 11:06:49 am »
Sure I could shrink 'em. But I'd much rather enlarge the planets   ;). IMHO they should be massive structures, and so should the planets  ;). On that note... I really should model a MASSIVE Dyson's sphere for the game. Interested in that project Buzz ?  Hey F_W , what do ya have in the way of textures for something like that ? Now see what ya started LOL

;D  :thumbsup:
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 11:14:18 am »
Let's confer with AV...  maybe we can squeeze it in with the 9 WIP still left. 

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 11:44:21 am »
lol MP. I'd really appreciate you shinking them just for me, though. :-)
Like I said above, if you could make the "mushroom disk" on the models the same size as the Earth Spacedock one that's be great. Oh, and resize the bay doors for scale, make them big enough to take an Ambassador class. Oh, and resize the dry-docks on the boom arms as well.

Um... please? *grin*

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:03:38 pm »
just a note:

SB777 really is big enough to drive a pair of Galaxy  class out the doors ( staggered at a 45^ angle).

I do agree that some of the models produced would be better if sized with others.  (something I'm personally trying to do .. but have a ways to go yet)

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 01:16:06 pm »
Well the ones I ported are easily large enough to fly through   ;)

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 11:04:23 pm »
In the model's folder there's a file named "model.siz" Open it with any text editing program. Inside you'll see entries that look like this->

ASSETS\MODELS\FCA\FCA.MOD   8.47
ASSETS\MODELS\FCA\FCA_BRK.MOD   8.44

Find a stock model (probably a base would be best ;)) and make the entry for the custom model the same size. The game will resize the model to the correct dimension. You can also play with this to rescale other things to your taste.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 08:01:40 am »
Superb! Muchos Thanksos, Rod! I'll give that a go when I get home.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 08:28:29 am »
Be sure to make a back-up of the original file. It's one of the files that's checked by the server if you play online. You won't be able to sign on with a modified version.

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 10:32:51 am »
Oh, okay. Thanks for the heads-up. I never play onlinev anymore, all I have is the 2.0.3.6 EAW. I got rid of SFC1, SFC:OP and SFC3 cause they were pants.

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 06:49:37 am »
Okay, I gave that .siz file a go, and it didn't work.

After backing up up the file, I created a new entry for ModelsPlease Federation War Base and made it the same scale as the stock FSB at about 57.xx, then reduced it to 20.00, then 10.00. No effect.

I then just tried a resize of the stock FSB model itself, and altering the scale to 20.00 then 10.00 didn't work. Admittedly, I have replaced my SFC-supplied FSB model with Battleclinic's gorgeous starbase model, so that may have affected it.

Am I doing this wrong?

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 01:38:29 pm »
Well, if you have the directory correct, then I don't know. I've resized cruisers down to PF size. most of my model.siz file has been changed. The pirate models are too big in the stock game, IMO, just as an example.

For example,
assets\models\custom base\custom base.mod       50.00
assets\models\custom base\custom base_brk.mod     50.00

Just relpace "custom base" with the name of the folder that the base model is actually in and use the correct name of the .mod file. I'm using "custom base" as an example. Make sure that the spacing is correct and that there are no typos. The numeric value for the size is in it's own column. IIRC, you just hit tab after typing in the directory then insert the size.

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 02:44:18 pm »
Well, that's what I did. I do have my custom models in another subfolder down, though. My actual entry was thus:

assets\models\Models(TMP)\F-BATS\WarBase.mod     50.00

Didn't work, even though I made sure the tabbed space was stll between the end of the mod path and the scale.

Ah well. Just have to try a few more variations. Any further help will be gratefully received.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 10:55:39 pm »
Well, this is reaching a bit, but when you check the properties is the model.siz file's attributes set to read only?

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 09:35:44 am »
Rod: I moved the Read Only original .siz file into another subfolder and saved my altered .siz file as the "real" one in the place of the original. I can open my altered file in Notepad and it seems fine. *shrugs* Maybe my computer doesn't like the alterations...

I also had a go at those plugins MP directed me to, DLed and installed them, overwriting the existing files in MilkShape. I can now select the option to import SFC/Armada/BotF/BC/KA models,but when I try to do so, specifically the SFC .mod, the program crashes.

I tried loading that massive War Base first, and it never loaded. I then tried to load the Balson-class command ship, and theprogram crashed. I restarted the program, tried to load the Balson and it crashed again. I thought it might be the fact that these were non-SFC-supplied models, so I tried to load the dummy.mod from the SFC Models folder. That crashed Milkshape too.

What is going on here?

Also, are there plugins for Wngs 3D to import SFC .mod files too?

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 12:03:23 pm »
Also, are there plugins for Wngs 3D to import SFC .mod files too?
Unfortunately, no.  The only other program that there are .mod plugins for is 3ds max versions 3, 4, and 5.