Topic: Here's something neat with an excelcior...  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Here's something neat with an excelcior...
« on: December 14, 2005, 01:44:11 am »
Kitbashed by darkthunder, I think the nacelles  came  from the mvam prommy  by ignis...

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
Re: Here's something neat with an excelcior...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:20:28 am »
Yea this is kind of a "mini" project I was working on. I had an idea a while back, that perhaps the true USS Titan might not be a brand new ship class at all (like in the Titan contest) but a class we know of. So I followed the idea that the shipsize was between 400-500 meters in length as specified in the contest, and the decision to use the Excelsior Class was made. Basically what i've done, is to add the nacelles from the MVAM Prometheus in BC, and the P81 Lakota as base. The idea was to bring the ship up to post-Dominion War era.

To finish this ship I need a couple of changes done to the ship that is not seen in the pics i'm posting. I need a registry change, to USS Titan and its registry number NCC-80102. Also, i'd like it if someone could remove the phaser "balls" from the mesh and replace all phasers with phaser strips (again, to make the ship more modern). The black color scheme on the ship, is to make it fit in line with the Sovereign Class of the same era.

The textures Starforce posted werent the "final" ones, the ones i'm posting now is final as far as recoloring it goes. As mentioned, all it needs now is to get a new registry, and more modern phasers.
// Darkthunder

Offline Major A Payne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 03:04:43 am »
not to bad, although I would say the nacelles look a bit skinny.

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 06:40:06 am »
Agreed on the nacelles, though the black colour scheme is intriguing.
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 11:35:15 am »
Ok, I have now made the nacelles slightly thicker and in my opinion it looks great now ;)

I have also added the phasers to the appropriate locations (modelled phasers so it looks better), and removed all traces of the original "phaser balls". What do you guys think now? Only thing missing, is I need someone to fix the registry for it.
// Darkthunder

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 11:53:09 am »
Now that does look a lot better. The phaser strips look pretty damn cool too, adding a touch of Ambassador-tech.
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 03:17:33 pm »
I love the texture color scheme, hate the ship concept (sorry no offence) . This Titan size of 400m-500m comes from a book cover contest. Obviously in no way canon. There have been many discussions about the Titan, and a plethora of theories about what type of ship it was/is. I love many of the concepts....the EVO, WZ45's,  Azel/Sandman/Buzz concept. I could even accept it as a Galaxy, Sovie, Promie, Intrepid or even an Akira, but NOT an Excelsior or the Luna class reguardless of that contest.
I don't see Starfleet using a 100+ year old design as it's basis, nor do I envision Riker agreeing to command such an aged vessel, reguardless of what step system upgrades it might have. There are several Excelsiors available with Gal and Sovie engines on them and to me (personally, and again no offense) this ship would be another step system upgrade to keep an old ship in service, and nothing more then that. BUT I have for a while wanted to redo excelsior textures with Sovie colors and thanks to your great work I see how cool it looks.

-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 03:58:38 pm »
Now that does look a lot better. The phaser strips look pretty damn cool too, adding a touch of Ambassador-tech.

I don't think you could pack enough power in an excel to run much more without completely gutting  it and the you might as  well build a new one. I think the pahser strips are a   perfect match. It's certainly not the first time it's been done, thnk Davids-C,  and that was a well liked ship...

Perhaps  you should also consider doing this modification to that ship as well...lol?

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 04:00:57 pm »
Well, it doesnt hurt refitting the Excelsior Class with more modern parts. After all, they did it on the Constitution Class and thats canon. Which ship was most used during the Dominion War? Sovereign Class, Akira Class? No... it was the Miranda and Excelsior Classes.

Imagine that... using ship classes that were 80-100 years old to fight in such a crucial war. My idea is that, AFTER the war perhaps they still kept some Excelsior classes in service... after all, its CANON that the original USS Excelsior under command of Admiral Sulu was patroling the cardassian border when Chakotay got his assistance to apply for Starfleet Academy (Chakotays age would have been around 16-17 years old then).

And being as you said, the ship class is so old, perhaps they DID decide to refit a lot of ships and bring them up to more modern standards. Who says, the USS Titan has to be a brand new class? Who says the USS Titan has the latest and most state of the art technology? Is it so hard to believe that perhaps, Captain Riker did take command of a refitted Excelsior Class? He had been offered command of several other ships in the past, which he turned down. Maybe he chose the Excelsior Class, USS Titan because he thought maybe he wouldnt be offered another command in a while. I'm sure there are more people who want to serve as first officer on the flagship of the Federation.

So i'm just gonna go with my assumption that the USS Titan is an existing class, and that it MIGHT have been a refitted Excelsior Class. Speaking of which... why refit an Excelsior Class to be the standards of the USS Lakota? With stronger phasers then a normal Excelsior, and quantum torpedoes. I mean... its an old ship, so why refit it? Get my point?

If you dont like it, you dont have to download it when its done. Simple as that :)

EDIT: Reply to Starforce, the warpcore is the primary "fuel source" to any starship. Who is to say, that the warpcore wasnt replaced inside this ship with a more modern warpcore, like that of the Intrepid Class or even a Prometheus Class. I'm sure it would get room since there are more then enough decks inside the Excelsior.
// Darkthunder

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 04:06:02 pm »
Yes but you need  to remeber that you  still need  to go through 80 year old  pipes to get that power where it needs to go, hence gutting it adding all new  power  conduits and such which would be more expensive than building a new ship, that was my point..

Also, while  miranda's  did serve in the dominion war, they served  mainly  as target practice :D, and from what I see the excelcior didn't  do much better lol

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 04:27:14 pm »
the nacelles to be longer back, otherwise, i like the idea.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 11:26:25 pm »
I can do registries for you.  Just give me the blank saucer textures and I can make registries for you real quick.  Golden_Centurion@hotmail.com
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 02:31:46 am »
Made the nacelles a little bigger and longer now. What do you guys think?
// Darkthunder

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 07:45:55 am »
that looks nice...

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 10:09:08 am »
Perhaps swap out the Excel pylons with those of a Galaxy class to continue that TNG "feel" to the ship ?

Oh BTW the reason ya didn't see the Akira's, Sovie's etc in the Dominion war was purely a marketing ploy, they were used in " First Contact " because Paramount wanted new designs for the flick, nothing more then that. Which I agree was stupid.  ;)

-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 05:17:30 pm »
actualy  I thought we did see a couple of akira get wasted.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 11:23:56 pm »
Completed mesh and textures of my kitbashed Excelsior (dubbed USS Titan). All credits go to:

Model & Textures: P81 (shipbase)
Model: Nixon & Gtea (Prometheus Nacelles)
Phaser Strips: Chronocidal Guy (from his Sovereign)
Deflector texture: Chronocidal Guy (see pic12.jpg)
Ship Registries: F9thDaihak
Kitbash: Darkthunder
Texture Enhancements: Darkthunder

PS: I tried with the Galaxy style pylons and it just didnt look good. I even tried flipping the nacelles over, having them "under" the saucer height instead. So i'll stick with what i've got instead. Other then hardpointing this, I think its basically done.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:52:27 am by darkthunder »
// Darkthunder

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 12:35:40 am »
There is one other  modification you might consider...doing something to that deflector so  it  doesn't look like a polished gold  disk. Like perhaps making it have those radial gride lines like the sov does,  or  something to  make it look like it was completely removed and upgraded rather than  simply changing it's  color.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 12:49:12 am »
You mean kinda like this? :D
// Darkthunder

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 01:02:01 am »
How about the 'sweeping' pylons ?  :)