Topic: Does anyone here have max 8?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Does anyone here have max 8?
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:35:59 pm »
...?

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
Re: Does anyone here have max 8?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 01:50:41 am »
I downloaded the trial version, but I haven't installed it yet.  I'm waiting until I finish my graphics project, which hopefully will be early this morning.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 01:54:09 am »
I got a guy with max 8 mesh that wants it in sfc as well,  I can't open it,  he refuses  to  port to 3ds  and the lwo  formatt  removes the textures even after he gave me an importer  not only are the textures gone so are the slots.  I'll hafta actualy have somone port it to  sfc   first then I can port it to BC.  It needs lighting too.  It's not a bad little ship. I'll post some  pix later when I got time.

Offline MajorRacal

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • MajorRacal's Micro Shipyards
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 03:22:33 am »
I've got Max 5, so that won't help you out.  My thouight is, if he wants it ported so badly, why is he resistant to converting it to 3ds?  It'd take him seconds.

MajorRacal

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 08:03:48 am »
he's complaining about it ruining his model   and  smoothing groups and other such crap.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:57:00 pm »
Converting to .3ds is really his best option.  You can't convert straight from max 8 to .mod and trying any other work-around would just screw with the model even more.  My advice would be to remove the smoothing groups, export to .3ds, import in max 3, 4, or 5, redo smoothing groups, and then export to .mod.  Of course this would require knowing someone with max 3, 4, or 5 who is able and willing to let your friend use it.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 03:05:26 pm »
I'm afraid to ask, but I've got max 8, max 3.1, lightwave, milkshape, and autocad 2002, and 2005.

How can I help, PM me.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
Converting to .3ds is really his best option.  You can't convert straight from max 8 to .mod and trying any other work-around would just screw with the model even more.  My advice would be to remove the smoothing groups, export to .3ds, import in max 3, 4, or 5, redo smoothing groups, and then export to .mod.  Of course this would require knowing someone with max 3, 4, or 5 who is able and willing to let your friend use it.

I don't know anything about smoothing groups, hence his issue with me.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 05:23:06 pm »
I haven't spent much time working with them, but I know that they've made some significant changes between max 3,4, and 5 and max 8.  I doubt that he will ever be able to completely preserve these smoothing groups or accurately recreate them in an earlier version of max, but at least he'll be able to get the ship in the game by exporting to .3ds and converting it in either an earlier version of max or in Milkshape.  The only other thing I can think of is to see if it's possible to recompile the plugins for max 8.  Since I know virtually nothing about programming, I can't help you there.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 07:24:16 pm »
Well, I've  pm'd  you the file. BTW,  wha model is that in your  sig? And is it available?

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 02:01:45 am »
Thanks.  I'll take a look at this as soon as I install max 8.

The model in my sig is my take on the Federation carrier Ark Royal stock model from SFC2 that I recently completed for part of my 3D graphics project this semester (check out my video for the project here http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163363008.0.html).  I made the model and textures completely from scratch.  Right now, it's not ready for in-game use as I have not added hardpoints and damage points yet or exported it to .mod format, but I plan on doing it in the near future.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 02:13:13 am »
Thanks.  I'll take a look at this as soon as I install max 8.

The model in my sig is my take on the Federation carrier Ark Royal stock model from SFC2 that I recently completed for part of my 3D graphics project this semester (check out my video for the project here http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163363008.0.html).  I made the model and textures completely from scratch.  Right now, it's not ready for in-game use as I have not added hardpoints and damage points yet or exported it to .mod format, but I plan on doing it in the near future.

Whats the poly count? I'd  like to examine it for possible conversion to BC if you don't mind, and I don't  need hardpoints, brk  mods ect to  be completed to use it, as long as it's importable by max 3.1.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 02:38:50 am »
Poly count is 6489 polys.  About half of those are in the nacelles.  I'm considering reworking them because they are the least efficient and sloppiest part of the mesh.  I could probably drop the polycount below 5000 if I rework them.  I'll convert it to .3ds and pm it to you tomorrow.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 07:45:26 am »
Do what you wish,  but anything under 10k  is good in BC.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 12:47:19 pm »
I emailed it to you since I didn't see an option to add an attachment to a PM.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 04:56:55 pm »

Well, you better do a  virus scan, hotmail  rejected it.

Offline T' Kang

• T' Kang
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 05:42:15 pm »
It looks like you have it under control. I have Max8 and Max4.2 commercial versions here.
sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
APR D3 (c) Mod Director

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 07:31:10 pm »
It looks like you have it under control. I have Max8 and Max4.2 commercial versions here.

yea  as soon as he gets his viruses cleared out  so  hotmail  will  send the file, unless  hotmail is   screwing up and only thinks there is a virus, odd really.

Offline T' Kang

• T' Kang
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 11:00:19 am »
I haven't spent much time working with them, but I know that they've made some significant changes between max 3,4, and 5 and max 8.  I doubt that he will ever be able to completely preserve these smoothing groups or accurately recreate them in an earlier version of max, but at least he'll be able to get the ship in the game by exporting to .3ds and converting it in either an earlier version of max or in Milkshape.  The only other thing I can think of is to see if it's possible to recompile the plugins for max 8.  Since I know virtually nothing about programming, I can't help you there.

You are right on with your statements. I tried converting a few Max8 meshes. They are not compatible. Recompile the plugins? I smell lawyers again.
sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
APR D3 (c) Mod Director

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 12:26:53 pm »

Well, you better do a  virus scan, hotmail  rejected it.
It's clear of viruses as far as I can tell.  I had a problem with hotmail thinking the attachments I received from greenvalv over the summer were viruses when they really weren't.  I was working with greenvalv on his SSR mod for SFC3, and he had to send several of his files to me through an alternate email address.  I no longer use hotmail because yahoo and gmail provide much better services.