Topic: BIG MySQL Test - Run#1 Friday Nov. 25th 8PM Central  (Read 13668 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: BIG MySQL Test Saturday 8PM Central
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 08:34:03 pm »
Building now, I'll start it once on the flatfile to check things out, then stop it right away and then start it on MySQL and announce it as ready for testing.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2005, 09:08:40 pm »
Dammit, still having issues with building on thor - if I can't have it ready within the next hour we're postponing till tomorrow...

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2005, 09:41:29 pm »
More than just a server load test, we WANT the serverkit to crash. By running the serverkit through the debugger, we can see each line of code being executed as it happens, or rather, when the kit crashes, the debugger will be showing us the last line of code that was being executed.

Instead of trying to find a needle in a haystack, this will tell us precisely what is causing the kit to crash, and therefore, how to fix it precisely. It may only take 10 minutes, for all we know. It is also quite possible, depending upon the nature of the bugs found, that we will fix, recompile and restart the test on the fly, attempting to locate as many bugs as we can, thus in this fashion, we can get quite a lot of work done and make huge leaps in finally getting the serverkit to work bug free!!  ;D

So...what are we going to do to try and make it crash...?
Forfiets? Alting? piling in a hex?
Last time seems there was much confusion about exactly what the admins wanted us to try.  ;)

In this test, we'll be trying everything and anything to make it crash. Alting and forfeits are permitted. All that is asked, however, is that you record details of your actions, including things like hex number locations, missions taken, what ship(s) you are flying, connection issues, anything.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
Re: BIG MySQL Test - POSTPONED
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 09:57:22 pm »
Test postponed.  :(

Aplogies, but trust me, I think I'm the most disappointed here. I've been busting my butt on this. It makes no sense. The debug build works fine on my machine but not on Thor...

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2005, 11:48:20 pm »

Aplogies, but trust me, I think I'm the most disappointed here. I've been busting my butt on this. It makes no sense. The debug build works fine on my machine but not on Thor...

Hey, keep up the good work Bonk... us non-sql types will be around to help with what we can, when yer ready.
Chin up and know your work is appreciated!
 :thumbsup:
"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2005, 10:59:54 am »

Have you tried getting with Frey about that?
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2005, 02:53:13 pm »
There is a progess/notes thread in a development area of the forum that Frey has been reading as well.

Magnumman has identified a probable cause, work is underway...

Offline Sanfeng

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2005, 03:39:24 pm »
there was talk last night of possible postponedment until tonight... is that still the plan? or will it wait till next week? I can prolly be availible to help test whenever...

keep up the good work guys... Im sure youll get it figured.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2005, 04:00:51 pm »
Looks like it will be next week...

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2005, 06:52:12 pm »
I know I am usually the last to suggest this, but next weekend is a long weekend here in the States. Thanksgiving and all that.  I am wondering if people think that will hurt test server attendance.  I know for once in my life I will actually be occupied that weekend.  Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, out of town.  Don't know if this applies to most people.  If not, test on weekend seems fine.  If not, may want to postpone again.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Capt Jeff

• 1AF
  • Lt.
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2005, 05:47:49 am »
I've been pretty quiet on here as late due to my computer usually not lasting more then 10 minutes before it locks up.  Think it's the video card or processor.... when rebooting, I get a warning that my motherboard temp is too high...lol.

Computer is 6 years old anyway, and I just plopped out $2400 on a new machine that should be here tomorrow.  Once I get it set up, I will be glad to help however I can.

Keep up the good work Bonk !!   ;)
Capt Jeff

Former SFC2.NET Administrator
C.O., Heavy Command Cruiser
USS Crasher NCC 1733

1AF---Friendship, Honor, Fun.  It's what we Play For.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2005, 10:23:26 am »
Thanks for the tip, it just might take two weeks to get it running anyway...

What's the deal with Thanksgiving in November anyway? What's wrong with October? Is is just that being further south November represents the end of harvest instead of October? This has always confused me...

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2005, 11:12:49 am »
Americans... what do you expect?
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 11:25:52 am »
In october its too close to halloween
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

el-Karnak

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 12:20:52 pm »
Thanks for the tip, it just might take two weeks to get it running anyway...

What's the deal with Thanksgiving in November anyway? What's wrong with October? Is is just that being further south November represents the end of harvest instead of October? This has always confused me...

Since most of Canada's weather resembles the US Mid-West or the North-Eastern states and is worse the futher north you go, it's better to have Thanksgiving when it's still fall outside. In US, it's still summer in October in most southern states so it's more expedient to wait until the end of November. In addition, it's much smarter to have the holiday on a Thursday cuz then you have a ready-made excuse not to go to work on the following Friday; ergo, the 4 day weekend. Also, Thanksgiving seems to be much more of a religious holiday in the US than it is in Canada, the whole country is practically shut down just like Canada is on Christmas. Malls and most retail businesses are closed. It was a shock to me when I first came to US because Canada's Thanksgiving day is more like a shopping mall day.

In addition, the day-after US Thanksgiving is the traditional kick-off feeding frenzyfor all the Shop Rex's in America who are sick of serving Thanksginving dinner and can't wait to draft the over-indulgent mall mules into shopping bag hauling duty at the crack of dawn Friday to work off their Turkey dinners. Cuz the Xmas shopping season has arrived.  ;D

Finally, Canada's Thanksgiving day is also Columbus Day in the US.  This means the US Gov't. employees want to take this day off even though most other non-Federal US workers do not. Plus, these federal workers get to take Thanksgiving Day off too. So, don't mess with those Federal gov't. worker holidays by making Thanksgiving overlap with Columbus Day, all in the name of increased gov't. worker productitivity. This would actually make US taxpayers think they would be getting good value for their money and the whole country would irretrievably spin into riots and chaos.  Whole gov't. agencies might disappear due to the consolidation of resources made possible by such increased Federal worker productivit:  the space shuttle would actually work, the US Immigration guys would actually understand what their job duties are, Homeland Security would actually get its priorities straight, FEMA would actually hire qualified managers to handle its workload, and/or the CIA would actually understand the the "I" in their acronym stands for "Intelligence" cuz they are the most heavily funded "intelligence" agency on the planet.  We are talking about boat-loads of  Washington beltway lobbyists that would lose work,  and all the lawsuits currently pending against Gov't. agencies simply asking them to do their jobs right would be rendered moot resulting in a catastrophic loss of business for the all US lawyers.

That simply is not acceptable. So, US Thanksgiving Day stays where it is.

*stomps foot*

Karnak the brain-washed American frog.

:P :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 12:35:53 pm by el-Karnak »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2005, 12:27:29 pm »
Finally, Canada's Thanksgiving day is also Columbus Day in the US.  This means the US Gov't. employees want to take this day off even though most other non-Federal US workers do not. Plus, these federal workers get to take Thanksgiving Day off too. So, don't mess with those Federal gov't. worker holidays by making Thanksgiving overlap with Columbus Day, all in the name of increased gov't. worker productitivity.

Aha! We have a winner, that must be it. (Having worked for the feds up here...)

el-Karnak

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2005, 12:42:11 pm »
Finally, Canada's Thanksgiving day is also Columbus Day in the US.  This means the US Gov't. employees want to take this day off even though most other non-Federal US workers do not. Plus, these federal workers get to take Thanksgiving Day off too. So, don't mess with those Federal gov't. worker holidays by making Thanksgiving overlap with Columbus Day, all in the name of increased gov't. worker productitivity.

Aha! We have a winner, that must be it. (Having worked for the feds up here...)

Aint that the truth. You have not met a truly dysfunctional gov't. agency on this planet until you've dealt with the US Immigration agency. I was not surprised one bit when FEMA fell on its collective a$$es over the New Orleans tragedy cuz this agency was made part of Homeland Security. The same dept. built out of the dysfunctinal INS of the 1990s. Too bad, it took Hurricane Katrina to wake everybody in the US up about how badly the US agencies are being run and finally make it show up in the Presidential approval ratings. You could call it Pearl Harbor day for the US Gov't. agencies. Now, that we got the White House and Congress collective attention, they are starting to fire people and clean up the mess.   Unlike Canada that has record surpluses, the US is being forced to cut it Federal budget cuz the deficit is getting too much out of hand. NASA is even being told to shape up or have its budget cut. Space Shuttle program is the first one on the axe block. You even hear of "know-it-all" NASA managers admit that they may have gone too far with the Space Shuttle program, and we're not really getting our money's worth out of it.

It will take a long time, if ever, though to get the US Gov't. agencies where they should be. At least, they got a  no-nonsense  former US Federal prosecutor running Homeland Security dept. and starting to make his presence felt in the ranks. Cherztoff is trying to clean it up big-time after the New Orleans fiasco.

Like "Bones" McCoy said in Star Trek 4:

"Bureaucracy is the great universal constant."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 01:16:57 pm by el-Karnak »

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2005, 06:51:15 pm »
Back on topic...

I was there, saturday nite fired up ready to go and no where interesting to expend time on....I did fire up a quickie single player camp- just for old times sakes, and was rather startled how much I remember and did without even thinking about it. It was mere childs play to ballet w/ my snipe-b a fed ff+ and capture it with out taking a single internal. Does this mean I have learned it? I needed the break from routine anyway.  CoH/CoV taking up the lions share of the precious free moments due to RL issues originating with spouses health issues (with a little Black and White 2 thrown in for good measure). I look forward to the next test with warm plasma glowie feelie thingie inside. I have absolute and utter faith that things will progress and Bonk, take another bow. We would have not gotten this far at all without your talents and efforts. The test should reveal the "show stoppers"  and that data is gold.  That player generated data in some fashion will contribute to a fully functional sql kit and then the fun really begins.....all without the client source code in hand.
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2005, 06:53:41 pm »

In addition, the day-after US Thanksgiving is the traditional kick-off feeding frenzyfor all the Shop Rex's in America who are sick of serving Thanksginving dinner and can't wait to draft the over-indulgent mall mules into shopping bag hauling duty at the crack of dawn Friday to work off their Turkey dinners. Cuz the Xmas shopping season has arrived.  ;D

Don't tell Jinn about this, but make sure SR realizes it. Wait a minute,  I bet SR actually started that trend.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2005, 01:06:00 am »
I finally got the debug serverkit running on Thor.  :woot:

I'll leave it up for the week to see if I catch a crash or learn anything interesting. I'll confer with the rest of the development group on a few settings and such and we can aim for a load test this weekend. If not enough players are around because of the holiday then we'll just try it again the following week!