Topic: wow, what a waste of money...  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
wow, what a waste of money...
« on: November 12, 2005, 04:26:23 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20051110/tc_cmp/173601281

Man Spends $100,000 On Virtual Space Station In Online Game

Peter SvenssonWed Nov 9, 8:41 PM ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- In one of the largest sales yet of property in an online game, a Miami resident has bought a virtual space station for $100,000 and wants to turn it into a cross between Jurassic Park and a disco.

Jon Jacobs, a director of independent films, plans to call the space resort, in the science-fiction themed game Project Entropia, "Club Neverdie." Like other land areas in the game that has been visited by 300,000 players, the resort grounds will spawn dinosaur-like monsters, which visitors can kill.

Jacobs will take a cut of the virtual resources that the carcasses yield, like hides.

Jacobs, 39, plans to hire famous disc jockeys to entertain visitors once a week or so at the resort but still reckons on netting $20,000 a month from the hunting tax and other income. "I want to operate this thing at the level of a major nightclub in a major city," Jacobs said.

Jacobs bought the property late last month from MindArk PE AB, Project Entropia's Swedish developer. The game, which has no subscription fee, has its own currency but it's convertible at a fixed rate to dollars.

About a quarter of the purchase money came from Jacobs' in-game earnings.

Over three years playing Project Entropia, Jacobs accumulated items that later became worth thousands of dollars, like first-aid kits and powerful weapons.

He sold those items last year to buy an island in Project Entropia, but was outbid - it sold for $26,500, the previous record sale in that world.

He refinanced his house shortly after and considered investing some of the cash in the hot Miami real-estate market, but he realized that if he bought a rental property, it really wouldn't generate any income beyond what he'd pay for the mortgage and repairs.

So he invested the proceeds in the game.

IGE, a leading broker of game property, said it has handled deals worth more than $100,000, but would not provide details because of client confidentiality.

------------------------------

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: wow, what a waste of money...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 06:27:36 pm »
I'd be selling some virtual billboards to get that money back.  Mrs. Dracho would kill me.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Green

• I'm not a
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:11:41 pm »

Jacobs, 39, plans to hire famous disc jockeys to entertain visitors once a week or so at the resort but still reckons on netting $20,000 a month from the hunting tax and other income.

So there is no subscription fee ... but people still pay real money?  Noted the comment that "in-game" money has a conversion factor to become real money.  As dumb as the whole thing sounds, who knows, maybe he will recoup and actually come out ahead in real dollars.

762_XC

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 09:16:03 am »
Unless a better game comes out, everybody leaves, and the market crashes.  :rofl:

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 08:29:29 pm »
Wow, some people in this world...  ::)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:49:23 pm »
Sad, or a sign of things to come?  The Internet has limitless 'property'.  Will it become a new form of 'real estate' investment to acquire popular virtual properties that can then be, somehow, used to generate cash flow?  It's happening with some online games now, but will the phenomenon spread?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 05:11:05 am »
Yup, I'm drooiling to buy some "virtual" real estate and cash in on the likes of the other dumbarses that want to buy it and live there!  :rofl:

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 01:32:21 pm »
Seriously, Jack, I think this kind of thing could become more common.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Riskyllama

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt.
  • Risky
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 04:32:29 pm »
Well I've got a virtual sandbox on a virtual beach to sell ya...
Everything is sweetened by risk. ~Alexander Smith

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 03:55:41 pm »
Hmm - I'm surprised to see so much closed minded-ness amongst us Star Trek lovin' nerds here!

I think it seems kinda stoopid (dinosaurs on a space station!??) but as far as virtual property goes I'm all for it.

Half the time I enjoy my online game wordls significantly more than my real life responsibilities anyways...

Heck I'll probably even become a devoted MMO player when I finally retire..

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 02:30:34 pm »
There won't be anymore MMO's when you retire...it's going to be all holodeck by that point...hadn't you gotten the IM?

:)
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 01:06:55 am »
but still reckons on netting $20,000 a month from the hunting tax and other income.

Well in five months he will have it paid off.
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer