Topic: The Shat's plan to save Trek  (Read 8288 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
The Shat's plan to save Trek
« on: November 09, 2005, 08:57:11 pm »
From Trek Web

I'm not sure Paramount can be sold on a prequel idea anymore.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: The Shat's plan to save Trek
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:54:34 am »
I personally would love another prequel.  Now that B&B and Dead & Deader, I think a prequel would take off and never come down.  Only one way to find out.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 11:23:48 am »
I think it could be done .. maybe even take up where the last one left off.  The one thing they need to be cautious of  ....   trying to rewrite "Trek History".

If ya stop and think about it ..  that was much of what the BB bros were tyring to do in a round about way with the time warp wars.

If we have learned nothing else ..  I hope the idea is to do something more complimentary to the entire series  ( like the last season was starting to shape up ... until the Idiot Bros started screwing with it again)
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 11:26:13 pm »
I'd give it a look... but we need to leave the established characters alone.

Go back FARTHER... like Enterprise, but the way they SHOULD have done it.

Primative ships.
Space-going cowboys.
Alien Babe-of-the-Weeks.

But most of all... CONTINUITY, CONTINUITY, CONTINUITY!!!
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:45:39 pm »

Primative ships.
Space-going cowboys.
Alien Babe-of-the-Weeks.

Lots of fistfights, Kirk types with blood trickling from their mouths, Kelso types manning their stations in casts and slings and bandages, Scotty types who don't break even when the Captain orders him to squeal on who threw the first punch, ray guns that don't work as well as the starship crewman thinks it does so that he has to find something else- QUICK- to kill the monster with... now that would make a SUPER Trek!

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 01:26:44 pm »

Primative ships.
Space-going cowboys.
Alien Babe-of-the-Weeks.

Lots of fistfights, Kirk types with blood trickling from their mouths, Kelso types manning their stations in casts and slings and bandages, Scotty types who don't break even when the Captain orders him to squeal on who threw the first punch, ray guns that don't work as well as the starship crewman thinks it does so that he has to find something else- QUICK- to kill the monster with... now that would make a SUPER Trek!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Outstanding!  That is exactly what I was hoping for with Enterprise, and exactly what they didn't deliver.  Add in a few colonies that need a starship for supplies and protection but don't really want it around because they left to get away from other people and you've got it perfect.

The producers of any new prequel should review all episodes of TOS and maybe even Firefly, and ignore all episodes of TNG and later.  This is not because TNG was bad -- it wasn't -- but because the civilized nature of TNG's society is *not* what you want in a Dawn-of-the-Federation prequel.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:13:46 pm »
pre-TOS *SHOULD* have a strong taste of wild West to it; I mean, what, in Kirk and Spock's time (TOS) there were what, onlytwelve starships of any decent strength and speed like the Connies?  There MUST be less in pre-TOS!  Say, five or six starships, tops... and an inexorably expanding with ever more dangerous Federation frontier.

It would be a kick to see a new young actor play a young Spock in a lieutenant's or ensign's uniform facing down some hooligans in a border colony town with a phaser slung around his waist, "Draw!"

(Of course, the baddies try to duke it out... and then I hope some competent writer takes over.)

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 11:56:28 am »
pre-TOS *SHOULD* have a strong taste of wild West to it; I mean, what, in Kirk and Spock's time (TOS) there were what, onlytwelve starships of any decent strength and speed like the Connies?  There MUST be less in pre-TOS!  Say, five or six starships, tops... and an inexorably expanding with ever more dangerous Federation frontier.

It would be a kick to see a new young actor play a young Spock in a lieutenant's or ensign's uniform facing down some hooligans in a border colony town with a phaser slung around his waist, "Draw!"

(Of course, the baddies try to duke it out... and then I hope some competent writer takes over.)

Actually, Kirk and Spock are close to the same age.  It makes me wonder why other Vulcans on the show are so much older at their ranks than Spock was.  Tuvok was supposed to be 110-ish on Voyager and he was only a Commander.  Spock made Captain by 60.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 12:50:29 pm »
Actually, Kirk and Spock are close to the same age.  It makes me wonder why other Vulcans on the show are so much older at their ranks than Spock was.  Tuvok was supposed to be 110-ish on Voyager and he was only a Commander.  Spock made Captain by 60.

Spock was 'running away to join the circus' when he joined Starfleet. He was an impulsive, untried boy on the edge of manhood running form a father he saw as oppressive and domineering. He bailed at the earliest opportunity available to him.

Tuvok was much older because he took a more indirect route. He had gone to the Academy as young as Spock (at least in the only novel I've read with any info on his history) but resigned his comission at some point. He then went back to Vulcan, went through Khoilnar, had children, made a pilgramage to Seleya by WALKING, and then REJOINED Starfleet at the rank of Ensign.

Most of the other Vulcans are older than Spock probably for reasons similar to Tuvoks... they simply came to Starfleet later in life.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 02:25:52 pm »
There is a Voyager episode (I can't remember the name) where Tuvok has flasbacks from when he served on the Excelsior under Captain Sulu.  The episode reveals that he was an ensign at the time and resigned his commission shortly after.  He then rejoined Starfleet much later.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 02:37:27 pm »
If a new Trek airs on UPN, its doomed, if it airs on normal network, It will last because it is Trek.  Even Enterprise would have survived on another network.  Still...UPN was probably the best thing to happen to trek, B&B are gone! ;D
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 02:52:10 pm »
If a new Trek airs on UPN, its doomed, if it airs on normal network, It will last because it is Trek.  Even Enterprise would have survived on another network.  Still...UPN was probably the best thing to happen to trek, B&B are gone! ;D
There's a little problem there.  UPN stands for United Paramount Network.  Star Trek is owned by Paramount.

Paramount viewed Star Trek as their Sci-Fi cash cow.  B&B shared this belief, so the higher-ups at Paramount put them in charge.

B&B tried to sell Star Trek to the UPN audience, so they made Enterprise with flashy ships, sex-crazed Vulcans, decontamination chamber gel-rubbing scenes, and aliens from the future who want to destroy the past.

This didn't hold the normal UPN audience's attention and they continued to watch the other pointless drabble that they so loved, while Trekkies became outraged at the total debasement of everything that was Star Trek.  Significant efforts were made to save Enterprise in the last season, but all in all it was too little too late.

Braga left Star Trek and Berman is on his way out, but Star Trek is still owned by Paramount and they have only one question on their minds, "How can we make Star Trek profitable again?"  Not good, profitable.

Paramount either needs to change its mentality toward Star Trek or sell it to someone else who can do it justice.  Personally, I would like to see them do the former.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 03:56:30 pm »
CBS is also owned by Paramount, no reason why it couldn't have aired on there, the way TNG did when it first came out.

Honestly, I think part of what killed Trek for the casual viewer was the musical chairs.  TOS aired on NBC, TNG aired on CBS, DS9 aired on FOX.  VOY moved around so many times (I think in the big markets it was always on UPN but here it started on ABC, went to PAX, back to ABC, then finally to UPN), and finally ENT was on UPN.

The other part was, like you said, the debasement of the franchise.  You would have thought that they would have been intelligent enough to not arouse the anger of hordes of Trekkies. (We can be quite nasty when we're angry  ;D)
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 02:27:49 am »
Strange, I distinctly remember Voyager sticking to UPN for its entire run (it was used to launch UPN as the very first show it aired) and DS9 starting out on CBS and then moving to UPN.

I have never heard that Paramount owned CBS.  The way I understood it was that CBS accepted the pitch for TNG in a similar way that NBC accepted the pitch for TOS.  Since TNG was doing well for CBS when DS9 came around, it was only logical for them to agree to air that series too.  Paramount did not have its own network until UPN and had to pitch Star Trek and other shows to the networks to try to get them to agree to air them.  Once they started up UPN, they could air whatever they wanted, which made things a lot easier for Paramount but removed a very important quality checkpoint in the studio/network system.

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 06:13:55 am »
Actually, TNG and DS9 were syndicated, you saw it on whatever station bought the rights. That wasn't so bad for TNG, because the local Fox station aired every single episode on the same day and time. DS9 kind of got screwed by being aired late on Saturday nights on another station after the football games, meaning you couldn't really set the vcr because you might just end up with the 4th quarter of a game. It also got hurt by some pretty dull episodes in the first couple of seasons that initially turned a lot of viewers, including me, off.

Voyager and Enterprise were UPN. Voyager, like TNG, stayed on the same channel on the same day at the same time, and lasted, even though it wasn't as good a show. Enterprise stayed on the same channel, but was constantly moved around, and thanks to B&B tinkering, never lived up to its potential.

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 07:39:43 pm »
In addition to a bad time slot and a slow start, DS9 was also hurt by Babylon 5.  A lot of people accused DS9 of being Star Trek's attempt at a Babylon 5 rip-off.  DS9 was very under-appreciated and was, in my opinion, one of the best Trek series.  I loved the Dominion Wars.

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 08:01:20 pm »
I agree, DS9 definitely grows on you, especially with the Dominion Wars. I never really got to watch it until Spike picked it up a year or so ago, but aside from TOS(along with TMP), you actually see the depth of the characters that was kind of missing in TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise. Garek is probably the most quizzically fascinating character that ever stepped foot on ST.

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 09:24:14 pm »
The reason it bounced around here, was that we didn't have a UPN station until season 5 of Voyager, and even then the UPN station's signal for those of us who don't want to spend big bucks on cable, is poor at best.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 03:52:28 pm »
I have to say there's ONE GIANT difference between DS9 and Babylon 5.  I hated/couldn't stand Babylon 5 and thought it more boring than watching grass grow.  I actually enjoyed DS9.  Much more so after the Got Worf.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 10:21:16 am »

Good point ...   really !

I think we sometimes forget that the original Trek series was only what ...  3 seasons?

Let's not burry Ceasar just yet.

As bas as NBC needs something right now .. it might be good for them  ( okie   I know ..  the net work thingy .. but hey !  It was on UPN !  and that is controlled here by an NBC affiliate !  Why Not ?)

If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !