Topic: I found an old Federation and Empire game  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
I found an old Federation and Empire game
« on: October 31, 2005, 02:15:06 pm »
I found an old Federation and Empire game at my local game store.  It's from 1986.  I was just wondering what revisions have been made to the game since then.  Does anyone know?

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: I found an old Federation and Empire game
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 03:50:25 pm »
http://www.starfleetgames.com/

Look under FAQ/Errata. You are WAY behind... probably so far that it's not worth buying it. There have been two revisions since thatone, in 93 and 2000. They don't even list errata for the 86 edition. :(
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 04:17:07 pm »
Well, I already bought it since they were selling it for cheap.  I don't have a lot of money to invest in SFB, F&E, and related games and materials, and I'm only planning on playing with a few friends for fun, not any super serious gaming.  I think this complements my even more out-of-date SFB Designer's Edition quite nicely.

I was just curious about how much has changed and, more specifically, what has been changed between the 1986 edition and the current edition.

They also had a very old Prime Directive core rulebook.  I'm not even going to guess how out-of-date that one is.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 05:01:42 pm »
Well, I already bought it since they were selling it for cheap.  I don't have a lot of money to invest in SFB, F&E, and related games and materials, and I'm only planning on playing with a few friends for fun, not any super serious gaming.  I think this complements my even more out-of-date SFB Designer's Edition quite nicely.

I was just curious about how much has changed and, more specifically, what has been changed between the 1986 edition and the current edition.

They also had a very old Prime Directive core rulebook.  I'm not even going to guess how out-of-date that one is.

WEll, if you have fun playing it, that's really all that counts. I hope ya'll enjoy it!

I wish I could find someone around here that would play SFB/F&E- I had a couple of guys that I played with at Maxwell in Montgomery, but I'm too busy and too broke to drive 50 miles for a game of SFB.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 08:03:16 am »
From the Star Fleet Battles Product Updates page

5006 FEDERATION & EMPIRE: First published in 1986. Rulebook seriously changed in 1989 and minor changes in 1990. Massive revision in 1993 to produce the Deluxe Edition, which had a new rulebook, a new map (nothing changed, it's just nicer) and new charts. The 2000 edition rulebook was added in September 2000. If it has a TFG box, it is NOT the new edition. Those with ADB boxes might include the 1993 or 2000 rulebooks. All 1993s in distributor stocks were upgraded in Sept 2001. In March 2004, the ABCD counters were replaced by new sheets designated ONE and TWO. Sheet ONE contains the ships you are not likely to need extras of, while sheet TWO includes those you are likely to want to buy more of.

This means that all I need to bring the version I have up to date (not counting the expansions) is a new rulebook and new charts (assuming the new charts mentioned differ significantly from the old charts).  Does anyone have any suggestions about where I might find these materials?  The Rulebook and Chartbook can both be ordered from ADB's website and are $15.00 and $7.50 respectively, but I would like to have the option of shopping around if it's possible.  Does anyone know just how much the charts have changed?

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:09:34 am »

WEll, if you have fun playing it, that's really all that counts. I hope ya'll enjoy it!

I wish I could find someone around here that would play SFB/F&E- I had a couple of guys that I played with at Maxwell in Montgomery, but I'm too busy and too broke to drive 50 miles for a game of SFB.

There is always SFBOnline and there is also an online version of F&E both as a web interface and via Cyberboard, with both F&E options being free.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 08:54:45 am »
 :o

Excuse me?  SFB online?!!
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 03:21:02 pm »
There is always SFBOnline and there is also an online version of F&E both as a web interface and via Cyberboard, with both F&E options being free.

!!!  :o !!!

I knew about SFB online, but I did not know about F&E online!  Oh, I gotta go back to ADB's website and check this out.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 05:11:54 pm »
:o

Excuse me?  SFB online?!!

Yeah, it's a $29.99 flat fee for a year and you can play SFB over the net.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 05:24:16 pm »
SFBOnline

www.sfbonline.com

F&E Web Interface

http://64.81.44.215/SFB/FE/login.cgi

For F&E Web Interface, you will need to go onto the starfleetgames discussion board and request that a game be set up for you under Federation and Empire/Computer F&E Development.

For Cyberboard F&E play, there is a cyberboard development subject under Federation and Empire that will tell you where to get cyberboard and the gamepieces and maps for it.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 08:56:09 pm »
Thanks for that Info Lepton, That's some good info right there.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War