Topic: Civilization IV  (Read 20982 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Civilization IV
« on: October 29, 2005, 08:32:38 pm »
Picked this up today and so far, so good.  I don't think Sid Meyers has ever made a bad game.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Civilization IV
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 10:12:39 am »
#1 the graphics are much better.

#2 It still plays like Civ, but a lot of the annoying aspects of Civ III are gone.  For instance, pollution and unrest are built-in abstracts.  Units can move as groups, and they now have a single combat value, but certain special benefits.  For instance, archers are double value on a hilltop.  IV also adds religion and "great persons".

All-in-all, I like it even more than Civ III.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 12:34:21 pm »
stephen runs to Gamestop, I loved Civ 3 so If this one is an Improvement...

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 02:12:36 pm »
I've got to try out this one soon!  Civ II is one of my all-time favorite games, but I could never really get into Civ III.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 08:25:04 pm »
Civ III always tried to run my monitor "out of range" and as I was unwilling to destroy a very expensive monitor I never really played it.  The "fix" that was supposed to correct that bug didn't work.   Does anyone know if that bug exists in this version?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 10:45:15 pm »
They completely re-wrote the code for Civ IV (and claim they didn't recycle any code at all), so I doubt it's a problem.

Here is a comparison of Civ III & IV

http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/compare_features.htm
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 11:04:34 pm by Dracho »

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 02:27:46 am »
Tomorrow, I am going to run over to Best Buy and get it. I did like CivIII but there were some things that I did not like.

Spearman vs a modern tank and the spearman won. :o

THAT is just wrong!!! ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Malystryx_XC

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 08:07:54 am »
Actually, I used to be seriously addicted to Civilization I, less so to Civilization II and simply not at all to Civilization III.  Even with all of the expansion packs for Civ III, I think I only played the game twice and only an hour or so each time.  It was just so boring somehow, I'm not really sure how to describe it.

Civilization IV on the other hand is, at least for me, jaw droppingly wickedly sweet!!  :o  It just seems to have all of the little touches that sweep you off your feet and compells you to keep playing.  The music, especially the main menu music is so outstanding that I actually emailed the mp3 file for it to my office address just so I could listen to it at work!  ;D  The graphics revamp is gorgeous and the world is really beautiful.  Unit functionality seems to work more like Civ I, especially with the fact that catapults, cannons, etc can now attack on their own as a unit and not be relegated to a support only role.  Diplomacy is reliable now!!!!  You can actually form lasting friendships with NPC civs and not have them spaz out on you and attack you.  They will frequently seek you out for treaties, trades, requests, etc without you having to be the one to initiate it each time.  Oh and they got Leonard Nimoy to do the voice over work!!!!  My god that was great!!!!  Hearing him read the technology quotes and such makes me feel like I'm listening to Mysteries of the Bible that he used to host.  It's just so damn cool!  ;D

Obviously there are still WAY more features than I can name in a single post.  The bottom line though is that this game is very polished with no bugs apparent to the player.  This is DEFINATELY a "just one more turn honey" game and you will spend late nights with it. :D  If you enjoy Civilization games, this is by far the best one ever made... and that truly is saying a lot!!

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 12:39:53 pm »
Tomorrow, I am going to run over to Best Buy and get it. I did like CivIII but there were some things that I did not like.

THAT is just wrong!!! ;D

Naw, the tank must have been of italian and the spearman ethiopian.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 08:21:22 am »

THAT is just wrong!!! ;D

Naw, the tank must have been of italian and the spearman ethiopian.

In Civ II catapaults sometimes shot down Stealth Fighters.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

762_XC

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 08:23:48 am »
It could happen!

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 08:32:09 am »
If enough catapults shot small rocks into the path of a low flying stealth fighter...

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 06:39:53 am »
Anyone else having CTD problems after they are deep in-game? Seems like my comp gets overloaded *cusses and gets ready to buy more ram*.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 06:25:52 pm »
Anyone else having CTD problems after they are deep in-game? Seems like my comp gets overloaded *cusses and gets ready to buy more ram*.

No, I've probably played 25 games by now and haven't crashed once.  Most likely culprit would be a Direct-X driver for sound, or video.  Update your drivers and play with the sound / video and see what happens.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 04:51:01 am »
If enough catapults shot small rocks into the path of a low flying stealth fighter...

Humm....I wonder if I can package this into something the government will buy.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 12:23:14 pm »

Humm....I wonder if I can package this into something the government will buy.

Well.. I've always believed they'd buy rocks if someone could convince the bureaucracy they needed rocks..

Offline SFCShadow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 02:34:44 pm »
I agree about Civ IV.  I loved Civ I and II, tried SO hard to get into Civ III but just never could do it.  This one now...just incredible.  I was very skeptical about getting Civ IV because of Civ III.  Really had the expectation that I'd waste my money...boy was I glad it turned out differently!  Awsome game.  Have you guys tried MP yet?  I've played a few and they've been VERY stable and a lot of fun.  I even got my daughter (who never plays these kind of games) playing and enjoying it!
Dennis
aka
Shadow

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 09:58:07 am »
Got this damn thing this weekend.  It took me a while to get it running...the little disclaimer ticket in the box that says 'if you have this problem...' applied to me.

Then it started working and ate 6 hours of my life.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline SFCShadow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 01:59:58 pm »
Sorry to hear that La'ra.  I have three computers, not a problem with any of them, Sal (oScottyo) has two and he has no problems and Jay (NTDN) who always seems to have problems (LOL), has two and he also had no problems.  All our computers are pretty varied too.  What issue did you have?
Dennis
aka
Shadow

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 03:58:41 pm »
Some of the games shipped with the tech tree file in French.