Topic: Civilization IV  (Read 20971 times)

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: Civilization IV
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2005, 03:46:51 pm »
well, I have to say that the huge map was an utter failure, but considering that my computer is below the minimum specs, I'm not complaining too much. Large seems to be about as big as I can handle. It ran fine until I uncovered half the map in my attempt to circumnavigate, then it started to bog down.

I can barely run huge...

1.1ghz P3, 512mb ram,

256mb ATI Radeon 9550.
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2005, 03:49:19 pm »
I run huge just fine (without antilasing).  PIV 1.97 GHZ, GeForce 6600 with 512 DDR RAM and 1 GB System RAM
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2005, 09:39:57 pm »
There's some life on the Civfanatics Forum for a Star Trek Mod.  I've already put a few cents in to get Starfleet Battles represented in there for some of the game.  Nothing major can be done until the SDK comes out in Early '06, but we can have a rock solid idea on paper by then.  Anyone intersted in voicing their opinion, the thread is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=147542
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2005, 04:40:11 am »
1 GB System RAM

Thats why.
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2005, 03:45:23 pm »
I just tried it out.  Interesting game...seemed to run pretty smoothly.  I ran it on the easiest setting to give me some time to get accustomed to the controls...the research seems to occur to swiftly perhaps?  Or maybe I need a better build order as I'm getting far ahead of myself in research than I am able to do with my populace.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2005, 08:40:38 pm »
As you need coinage to support a larger military, you'll have to back the research slider down.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2005, 10:44:51 pm »
I never really use a 'larger military'-type strategy. I research early and specifically for military tech. I'm generally standing guard over my cities with musketmen and cannon while the enemy is still using bowmen and swordsmen. When I attack a coastal city, a frigate is always the first unit on scene, and the city is ALWAYS bombarded to lower defenses. If the fights are any later, I'm hitting them with bombers and naval artillery.

And if you get 'The Bomb' first... well, the world is your oyster!

I really made good use of them during one game with a coordinated TOT strategic nuclear strike involving 4 nuclear warheads to some of my chief rival's (Catherine) larger outlying colonies, and then pushing troops through the newly opened flank. I already had allies attacking into their heartland (Victoria), so I pushed through and linked up with them. Another nuke to sterilize their capital, a final push to devide thir holdings and I simply began working my way back home while the allied forces took over the remaining territory.

That litte donnybrook gave me enough time to finish a Space Race victory, while forcing my two biggest rivals in such a victory (Victoria and Catherine) to devote most of their production to fighting the war. ;)
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2005, 11:56:02 pm »
 :o  You DON'T use military?!!!

If by the end of the game there aint at least four Civs with 0 for a score, I don't consider that a good game.  Case in point, game I'm currently playing, 18 Civs on a Large Terra map.  By turn 100 Cyrus was defeated and languishing in my dungeon, by 150 Fredrick was bye-bye (although I did most of it and took three of his cities, I couldn't find the fourth) and rotting in Qin Shi Huang's dungeon.  Later Montezuma sacrificed Isabella to Quetzecoatal.  Now Mansa Musa is in my cross hairs, for no other reason than the fact that Fredrick didn't put up enough of a fight, and I have a Swordsman with 16 XPs, while I'm running around with Samurai, Musketmen and Cavalry.  I have a very comfortable tech lead (due to the fact that I have eight cities when most of my rivals have two or three)  So after I'm done with the Malinese...I'm going to be nice and peaceful until I get Bombers and Tanks...then I'm painting to continent red.   :mischief:

So, If Napoleon, or Catherine is listening in...I'm offering defensive pacts...get em while you can  ;D

Tokugawa
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2005, 12:28:43 am »

If by the end of the game there aint at least four Civs with 0 for a score, I don't consider that a good game.  Case in point, game I'm currently playing, 18 Civs on a Large Terra map.  By turn 100 Cyrus was defeated and languishing in my dungeon, by 150 Fredrick was bye-bye (although I did most of it and took three of his cities, I couldn't find the fourth) and rotting in Qin Shi Huang's dungeon.  Later Montezuma sacrificed Isabella to Quetzecoatal.  Now Mansa Musa is in my cross hairs, for no other reason than the fact that Fredrick didn't put up enough of a fight, and I have a Swordsman with 16 XPs, while I'm running around with Samurai, Musketmen and Cavalry.  I have a very comfortable tech lead (due to the fact that I have eight cities when most of my rivals have two or three)  So after I'm done with the Malinese...I'm going to be nice and peaceful until I get Bombers and Tanks...then I'm painting to continent red.   :mischief:

So, If Napoleon, or Catherine is listening in...I'm offering defensive pacts...get em while you can  ;D

Tokugawa

Well, I just don't see the point in slowing down my quest for Ultimate Truth by fighting it out with anyone and everyone. If I'm attacked, then I have to go after you... and it's going to be Ouchie Time then. ;D

I set my sights on their most valuable resources and go get them. I then wither their economy by destroying all the infrastructure enemy's infrastructure (roads, mines fields, ets) becaues it knocks the everliving snot out of the city's population and culture score. Then I simply bottle them up like Paravians and make them pay me tribute.

Of course, if they refuse, then they must be reminded of my greatness...

with finality.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2005, 07:03:20 am »
I use an opposite strategy.  Artillery is so danged slow to get around, I try to maintain peace, but be the first to develop bombers and mech infantry.  Then, I use stacks of bombers as artillery to reduce the defensive value of the cities and units inside, and roll over them with the infantry.  For coastal cities I use the same strategy as JC, but with carriers instead of frigates.  They can reach much farther inland.

I've also discovered spies are great for recon behind enemy lines.  They let you keep track of the reinforcements coming toward your attack and pummel then with aircraft.  I knocked out a Roman empire of 15 cities in 5 turns this way.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2005, 10:45:49 am »
I use an opposite strategy.  Artillery is so danged slow to get around, I try to maintain peace, but be the first to develop bombers and mech infantry.  Then, I use stacks of bombers as artillery to reduce the defensive value of the cities and units inside, and roll over them with the infantry.  For coastal cities I use the same strategy as JC, but with carriers instead of frigates.  They can reach much farther inland.

I've also discovered spies are great for recon behind enemy lines.  They let you keep track of the reinforcements coming toward your attack and pummel then with aircraft.  I knocked out a Roman empire of 15 cities in 5 turns this way.

I mentioned Frigates and Arty because you get them before carriers and bombers.

I make liberal use of airpower in my fights... especially when I develop it a long time before everyone else. That way, 90% of my striking force is invincable.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2005, 05:15:47 pm »

Tokugawa

100 Turns?

What was your strategy to be able to do that???

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2005, 07:39:46 pm »
I don't think I've ever actually declared war on anyone, though I've had long drawn out clashes with Civs that have a problem with ME.

Usually I expand into choke points that'll limit the other guys ability to grow, then take all the land I've isolated for myself, while my civ's borders expand through cultural domination.

Great Artists are my friend. :thumbsup:
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2005, 09:27:24 pm »
My strategy was I had no choice, I was on the end of a pennisula, with Persepolis visible from Tokyo, I rushed Hunting > Archery > Mining > Bronze Working > Iron Working.  Then built 10 Swordsman and walked over em. 

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2005, 05:56:56 pm »
I'll have to try that...do hunting, then Archery, mining, Bronze and then Iron.  How many cities did you build up and what buildings or units did you build first?

-------

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2005, 09:54:44 pm »
I play with raging barbarians on (makes colonizing the new world a pain in the arse) so my first build is a barracks.  After the barracks is done, Archery is done, and possibly mining.  So two archers are the next build.  At this point my Warrior should be on his way back home, if he wasn't eaten by an animal.  The next build will depend on how badly I need a second city.  If I have a spot open and need to grab it, I'll build a settler, if not, a worker.  Bronze working will be done, or awefully close to it, by the time the worker is done.  When Bronze working is done, I look for Copper, if there is no copper easily accessible, I'll begin Iron working, if there is Copper near by, I will go for a situational tech (Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Sailing) before going to Iron Working.  Second city is down, build a barracks there and a new Archer in capital.  After the Archer a Settler (if I have a worker already or really need to get that third city), or a worker.  On this type of map I've never been able to start with more than three cities, my slow start in city spreading does work against me in that manner.  After the cities are down make sure each city has at least two archers in it, four if its a "Front Line" city.  By this time, your worker has connected you to your Iron or Copper and you should start turning out either Swordsman (prefered) or Axeman.  I cannot stress enough the importance of having that barracks in all your early cities ESPECIALLY if you are not an Aggressive Civ. (if you are aggressive you can have Combat level 2, Shock, or Cover, right from the start)  Set your science rate to 80% while maintaining a positive cash flow.  Once you no longer have a positive cash flow, cease production and find someone to pick on.  Rinse, lather, repeat as often as desired.  You should be able to maintain a healthy cash flow without religions well into the Industrial era.  Never pick on more than one at a time, if someone joins in, sue for peace with the other one, even if the terms aren't favorable. (just don't lose a city over it)

I generally have four or five war times.   First one is with Swordsman.  Second one is with Samurai (Maceman) and Catapaults.  Third one is with Cavalry and Samurai/Riflemen).  Fourth is with Tanks and Bombers.  Fifth is with Modern Armor, Stealth Bombers and ICBMs.  Most of the time the fourth and fifth merge into one big blur.  Mounted units, except for Cavalry, to me are good for only reconning, pillaging and opportunity attacks, I don't ever build a task force around them, although I will put a couple spearman/pikemen in my cities if I know that the other uses Mounted units, especially as their UU.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2005, 09:05:23 pm »
I'm an idiot. I followed your plan up to archery and tried to declare war on the Greeks at that time...should have gotten Iron working first (got Bronze working, can't recall if I did mining but must have if I got Bronze) and Horsemanship...but the Greeks slaughtered me.  I don't think I'm any good at war...unless...I need to figure out how to combine troops together.

Now when hitting focusing on growth, that makes my population grow correct?  Then I can slave them into reducing production?

I did get around four cities built by a hundred turns, but not certain if that's helping or hindering...am I concentrating on the wrong thing (growth and production).

Is there any way for me to buy items and settlers as I have quite a huge amount of gold...but don't know what to do with it (and yes, I'm one of those that jumps right in and starts playing without reading or doing a tutorial normally, I DID try this time recently, but got too bored with it and started another game up).

-------

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2005, 09:58:49 pm »
I'm an idiot. I followed your plan up to archery and tried to declare war on the Greeks at that time...should have gotten Iron working first (got Bronze working, can't recall if I did mining but must have if I got Bronze) and Horsemanship...but the Greeks slaughtered me.  I don't think I'm any good at war...unless...I need to figure out how to combine troops together.[/quote{

Dash... early on, use archers/axmen in concert to take a city. MAke sure that the archers have at least one first strike bonus, and that the axmen have at least one city fighting bonus.Hit them with the archers (at least 2x as many as they have defenders) and use them to weaken/kill the defenders. Then, use the axmen to come in and take the city.

Later, switch to a catapult/longbowman/swordsman grouping, used in that order with the best boosts for city fighting.

Is there any way for me to buy items and settlers as I have quite a huge amount of gold...but don't know what to do with it (and yes, I'm one of those that jumps right in and starts playing without reading or doing a tutorial normally, I DID try this time recently, but got too bored with it and started another game up).

Yeah... build the Pyramids. Adopt Democracy. You can then pay for all hurried projects with gold, IIRC.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2005, 10:42:25 pm »
Ah man, I like the Despotism path!!!

Now I have to get all nice and Get Democracy just to spend my gold?!

-------

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2005, 11:04:11 pm »
One of the main problems I have with the civics systems, is that you can have both Universal Sufferage and Slavery.  Can't afford to buy the production? just whip a few civvies and now you've got it.

Uh...Swordsmen or Axemen are desperately needed to do the early land grab, you COULD make do with Horse Archers.  But to try to take over the world with Archers, especially with Greece and their strong Phalanx, that's just asking to get run over.