Topic: George "Sulu" Takei comes out of the closet...ish  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
George "Sulu" Takei comes out of the closet...ish
« on: October 27, 2005, 09:21:35 pm »
From the Advocate

Adds a bit of subtext to Sulu's banter with Chekov, doesn't it?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Re: George "Sulu" Takei comes out of the closet...ish
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 10:05:15 pm »
SLIGHTLY INNAPPROPRIATE HUMOR ALERT!

You know, maybe we should have seen this coming.  I mean, look at Sulu's highlight moments in Trek.  Running around sweaty and bare-shirted with a sword in the ironically titled "Naked Time."  His "opposite," mirror universe counterpart hitting on Uhura.  His daugther randomly showing up in Star Trek Generations.  His saying that he was born in San Francisco.  The writing was on the holodeck's wall, folks.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 07:43:00 am »
It doesn't surprise me, I always kinda thought he might be gay, so It's no surprise actually. I do wonder though If It's because he's gay that he never got the Excelsior series. anywho, It reminded me of this picture, and No It's not directed at you RB, I just thought IT was funny.  ;D

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 09:16:10 pm »
Well, if I may rip off a line from a nationally syndicated morning show, it does give a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Permission to come aboard," doesn't it?  ;)

Seriously, though, I thing George Takei is a good actor who played a great character in Star Trek, and I honestly don't care who he goes to bed with at the end of the day.  I can certainly understand why he might have been reluctant to admit this given how many homophobes we seem to have in this country, but I hope that people who watch a show as progressive as Star Trek are beyond that...   ::)
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 06:36:58 am »
Well, if I may rip off a line from a nationally syndicated morning show, it does give a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Permission to come aboard," doesn't it?  ;)

Seriously, though, I thing George Takei is a good actor who played a great character in Star Trek, and I honestly don't care who he goes to bed with at the end of the day.  I can certainly understand why he might have been reluctant to admit this given how many homophobes we seem to have in this country, but I hope that people who watch a show as progressive as Star Trek are beyond that...   ::)

Heck I can think of one our Best posters , and He's Gay. I mean here I am , one of those Evil conservatives, But For the Judge, I'd buy him a beer anytime, But to be fair, I'd do so for just about everyone here.

About time, but maybe your right Stephen, Star Trek Excelsior would of been great, and I can t think of anything else stopping it but that

Adam out

PS I never knew Shatner was so disliked among the crew, damn these actors play it off well, very well

Oh man, a few years ago, I helped the owner of starbase 21 up there in Tulsa with a ST convention. SB21 is a Comic/book/rpg store next to casabinita If your ever in Tulsa OK.

anyway, we sold Tickets  to people Based on the Chance that Bill might sign autographs. Yeah , He's always been a Pain  in the butt, Yet , Here's how you approach him. Talk about his horses. I'm serious, Ask him about his Horse Lindsy, and Hell tell you more then you ever wanted to know.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 01:31:51 pm »
Stephen, I don't know whose eyes I should gouge out for that pic, yours or mine.

Now, back to the topic at hand, does anyone think that this'll change how people watch Trek?  Here are a few shots that take on a new connotation now:

One
Two
Three

You can thank Trek Pulse for timing their screengrabs just right.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 02:16:35 pm »
I don't believe it'll change how I view Trek.  I don't think George Takei "coming out of the closet" is controversial nor is it or should be a big deal.  It's a big deal for those who've not yet shrugged off prejudice/discrimination just yet (no offense to anyone here).  I willingly accept him being who he is without hesitation.  Trek is about optimism and helping to accept and celebrate diversity, and that's a part of my morality; accepting people of who they are, of whether they're African American or Japanese, if they prefer a male or female as their mate, their religion, etc.  Of course, it's sometimes difficult in the politics part, but I have a lot of friends on both sides when it comes to U.S. politics.  One good example of accepting diversity comes from the Star Trek: Hidden Frontier fan film; how it sometimes (in some of their episodes) helps when it comes to reminding people of that.  Sort-of like how Trek did so in "Let that be Your Last Battlefield" [TOS] (for example), concerning racism ("I'm black on the right side, he's white on the right side."), and how that was very much a controversial topic back in the 1960s when America was segregated by the color of people's skin.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 03:08:06 pm »
Stephen, I don't know whose eyes I should gouge out for that pic, yours or mine.

Now, back to the topic at hand, does anyone think that this'll change how people watch Trek?  Here are a few shots that take on a new connotation now:

One
Two
Three

You can thank Trek Pulse for timing their screengrabs just right.

LOL, Probably Mine, as It's been Unpopular to Laugh At gays lately.  ;D

Still, Your one of my Heroes, and don't get enough Credit Thats Due you.

Stephen

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 11:10:22 am »

I dont mind homos either as long as they dont come up and shove their... whatevers at my face.
Homophiles are alot worse than homophobes.
Theyre in the same group as those who scream and shout about tolerating absolutely everything which is NOT progressive, its degenerative.

Anywho, Sulu is now officially rather ghey and I dont really give a sh*t either way :)

http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 11:14:21 am »
The actor may be, but I wouldn't be so sure about the character, as far as canon goes.  Remember Demora Sulu? *shrug* But that's getting too geeky on an issue that shouldn't really matter, character-wise or actor-wise.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 03:33:29 pm »
You know, as to whether this had anything to do with Paramount not doing Excelsior, I'm not sure.  It might have (heaven knows it wouldn't have looked good way back when, to have the information come out about the actor who would have portrayed a swashbuckling captain of Starfleets biggest baddest ship.  Depending on when it was done, of course.  I dont' really remember when the series was up for discussion.  If it was in the 90's though, I doubt it would have been too huge an issue.  In the 80's possibly, though.), but then again look at all the effort B&B went through to damage and erase everything that was TOS.  I'm betting that they would have put up a big effort to stop anything that was a continuation (although Gene was still alive at the time, right?  Still, he was shackled with Berman at the time I believe, so he could have been influenced.)  I still think Excelsior would have been so much better than any of the other Trek series to date (except TOS).  Heck, it might have given Christian Slater something to do after his career hit the rocks. ;)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 06:28:24 pm »
I'm also one of those Evil Conservatives, but this news doesn't really bother me either.  Personally, I believe homosexuality is immoral (I don't want to start an argument or debate.  I'm merely stating my beliefs.), but I don't bare any malice towards those who are homosexual.  I think a person's sexual life is their own private business.  It irritates me whenever people have gay pride events, but it also annoys me when they're countered by strait pride events (this is a common occurence here at Texas A&M).

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 07:36:54 pm »
The Excelsior series was a fan idea for a series to succeed Voyager, and thus never had any chance of being made regardless of Takei's sexuality...
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 09:54:13 pm »
Some Star Trek fan I am...

... Excelsior was strictly a FAN idea??  I thought it was one of the possibilities orbiting Paramount's eyes.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 03:52:21 am »
Yeah, i could have sworn I read an article about that being one of several ideas they were mulling over at Paramount.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 09:14:41 am »
SLIGHTLY INNAPPROPRIATE HUMOR ALERT!

You know, maybe we should have seen this coming.  I mean, look at Sulu's highlight moments in Trek.  Running around sweaty and bare-shirted with a sword in the ironically titled "Naked Time." 

Oh, let's be specific.  He was running around sweaty and shirtless, pretending to be a Frenchman.

Yep, should have seen this one coming.  ;)

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 07:23:45 am »
Yeah, i could have sworn I read an article about that being one of several ideas they were mulling over at Paramount.

It was, at the behest at several thousand hand written letters a day for like a month.

I wrote my letter, did you? lol
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 08:40:06 am »

It was, at the behest at several thousand hand written letters a day for like a month.

I wrote my letter, did you? lol

I think we both where behind that one. I still recall the Excelsior site.

Stephen