Topic: Close call!  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Close call!
« on: October 16, 2005, 07:44:34 am »
90Km/h winds last night, almost woke up to a hole in the side of the house.  :o
Luckily, we only have a mess to clean up once it all dries out.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Close call!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 08:03:42 am »
Yikes!  That'll increase the ole pucker factor.   :o
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 08:53:17 am »
I would be thanking God above for that one Bonk!

BTW, I meant to ask you, how has your not smoking thing been working out all these weeks?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 06:07:47 pm »
Still on the smoking wagon.  My sinuses thank me daily.  The extra wind ought to help with that cleanup too.  :)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 08:57:38 pm »
Doesn't it amaze you at the crap that comes out of your sinuses & lungs when you quit smoking?

Something you can do for the sinuses (it's totally gross), is flush them with warm salty water.   Get yourself a really big rubber ear dropper.  Mix some warm salt water (not too salty or it will burn too much), then use the dropper to shoot water (with considerable force) up one nostril.  It will blow the gunk out of your sinuses and out the other nostril.  Do both sides.

I had nasal surgery and was perscribed this procedure and do it when my allergies are really acting up.  It cleans them out and clears your head for several hours in my case, a couple of days in some others.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 09:39:37 pm »
Doesn't it amaze you at the crap that comes out of your sinuses & lungs when you quit smoking?

Something you can do for the sinuses (it's totally gross), is flush them with warm salty water.   Get yourself a really big rubber ear dropper.  Mix some warm salt water (not too salty or it will burn too much), then use the dropper to shoot water (with considerable force) up one nostril.  It will blow the gunk out of your sinuses and out the other nostril.  Do both sides.

I had nasal surgery and was perscribed this procedure and do it when my allergies are really acting up.  It cleans them out and clears your head for several hours in my case, a couple of days in some others.

Ewwwwww.

Does it hurt? That doesn't sound like a pleasant experience. Wouldn't it also drain down the back of your throat?

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 09:51:13 pm »
It's more of a drowning sensation until you get used to it.. and the salt stings, but I'd call it uncomfortable more than painful.  Getting a poorly delivered shot is worse.

You also learn to block it so that it doesn't really drip down the throat.  The trick is to use pressure so that it moves with some force.

At the risk of TMI, the procedure was originally to remove blood clots after sinus surgery (turbinate bone reduction), and it is AMAZING the volume your sinuses will hold.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 10:35:20 pm »
I'd say you almost got Bonked.

Beautiful autumnal scenery by your house!

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 01:51:11 am »
Bonk - Yous a damn lucky bastid, darn wind done stole the roof of my outhouse :p
Dracho - Yes, that or taking a big loooooooooong snif of AIV acid. Not a drug but fodder preserver. Nothing else clears the sinuses as well as that ;D
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 02:39:44 pm »
::sigh:: I wish I had trees in my front lawn.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 08:59:06 pm »
::sigh:: I wish I had trees in my front lawn.

Your wish used to be my reality.  I had two of them removed after one fell into the road, but dealing with all the leaves I'm glad there gone.  Each year I ended up with a pile of leaves 14 feet long by 10 feet wide by 3 feet high, more than I care to deal with.

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 09:15:29 pm »
That's why man created a mulcher!  ;)

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 06:34:16 am »
That's why man created a mulcher!  ;)

Fire worked pretty well to, but it was still more work than I wanted to do.

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 01:14:59 pm »
Ahhhh, the good old days of burning in your own yard. We are not allowed to do that in Austin anymore.