Topic: Gas Prices Falling?  (Read 4759 times)

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Gas Prices Falling?
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:56:46 am »
Ok, guys, it might just be me, but has anyone else noticed that the price of gas has just made a swan dive back down into the $2.70 and below range?

It's $2.80 here in Auburn, but my parents are reporting that it was as low as $2.50 in South Alabama. The huge difference is probably due to football season- the stations gouge a bit here whilethe games are going.

Has gas started coming down for the rest of ya'll yet?
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
Re: Gas Prices Falling?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:12:13 am »
Just a tad, but not much else.

I sdo not know WTF is going on, oil prices have fallen sharply over the last few days, and the forecast is for a normal than average winter.

I also found this interesting, and here in Austin I can feel it, and it is mid-Oct at that! I wish the govt. would get serious about emissions as I can still see that lovely light brown haze hanging over the Austin area.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051013/ap_on_sc/winter_outlook;_ylt=AkGNU1hXJ5wfKmxjvK2MzNxvieAA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/news/97893.php

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 11:27:36 am »
I sdo not know WTF is going on, oil prices have fallen sharply over the last few days, and the forecast is for a normal than average winter.

All the scare talk dying down is going to be a big contributor to the fact that gas is going down. Also, the rigs that were damaged or where operations were suspended are getting back online now.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline EE

• In a constant state of Misery
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 01:28:32 pm »
Hopefully the prices go down even more. My car requires 17 gallons of permium and I am sick and tired of paying $50 or more each fill up. My car isnt getting the best of gas mileage right now anyways, getting between 17-22 mpg.
I came, I saw, I came again

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 01:48:14 pm »
Over here its something like $1.55 (average) per a liter of regular(methinks). Dont know how much it would be for this gallon youre talking of?
[edit: 1 liter is 3.7 gallons, correct me if im wrong]
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 02:12:44 pm »
It's down to $2.29 in parts of Oklahoma.  It's $2.39 here in Tulsa, but there is a "price bubble" in Tulsa for some reason.. always has been.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 03:22:40 pm »
In my part of NJ it's around $2.70-$2.80...but in far South Jersey it's around $2.30-$2.40.
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 03:50:36 pm »
http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/conversion.html

there you go Mack. A litre is about a quart, and it takes 4 quarts to make a gallon. As you can plainly see, us Yanks have had it good for decades.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 07:04:49 pm »
Mack, you have the correct numbers however, you reversed them. 1 gallon = approximately 3.7 liters.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 09:01:53 pm »
Hopefully the prices go down even more. My car requires 17 gallons of permium and I am sick and tired of paying $50 or more each fill up. My car isnt getting the best of gas mileage right now anyways, getting between 17-22 mpg.

You ain't just whistling Dixie, EE... it was $60 bucks to fill up my Silverado day before yesterday. Of course, gas was also a nickle higher here yesterday.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 01:05:45 am »
I filled up on Sunday at the now seeming low price of $2.49. Never in my life did I think that I would ever include low and $2.49 a gallon in the same sentence!  :o
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Mackie

• Lt. Commander
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 01:43:01 am »
Brush Wolf - Thought there was something fishy about that. Like I said, dont know much about gallons ;)

So overally, if a liter costs $1.55 how much does a gallon cost? Im completely crap at math. ;/

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 07:04:01 am »
Brush Wolf - Thought there was something fishy about that. Like I said, dont know much about gallons ;)

So overally, if a liter costs $1.55 how much does a gallon cost? Im completely crap at math. ;/

roughly $6 per gallon I think
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Mackie

• Lt. Commander
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 07:08:38 am »

roughly $6 per gallon I think

So it seems.Thanks :)

And as Jack says, you guys get your stuff too cheap. You oughta fill your dang suvs with our prices and THEN whine ;P

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 07:48:41 am »
Even back in the late 80's and early 90's Mack when I was stationed in Germany except for a "vacation" in the Middle East, I can clearly remember gas coupons for buying gas on post, they sold it at American gas prices (Great benefit, eh?). Off post at any German gas station and you were going to take a beating in price markups because everyone pays the same, regardless if you are a Yank military or not.

Offline Mackie

• Lt. Commander
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 08:04:40 am »
Even back in the late 80's and early 90's Mack when I was stationed in Germany except for a "vacation" in the Middle East, I can clearly remember gas coupons for buying gas on post, they sold it at American gas prices (Great benefit, eh?). Off post at any German gas station and you were going to take a beating in price markups because everyone pays the same, regardless if you are a Yank military or not.

Hm. Do I notice you being a little surprised that you were treated the same as everyone eventhough youre a yank? Thats a bit of a uppity attidute :P

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 10:42:47 am »
Who said anything about myself or others wanting to be treated differently, can you show me that intention? I did not even own a vehicle in Germany, did not need one, there was the g/fs with cars, taxis, and the TRAINS!

I just made that statement because a lot of American military and dependents actually thought they could buy gas on the market and then send in the receipts to Bde HQ and get the difference in prices refunded to them.  :o Sorry Charlie, it does not work that way. Once you used your monthly allotment of gas coupons, that was it unless you had friends like me who would gladly sell you my coupons, and if you were a true blue friend then I would give them away.

Offline Mackie

• Lt. Commander
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 10:51:21 am »
Just poking man dont take it too seriously ;)

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 11:39:59 am »
I'm moving a buttload of my deceased parent's antiques right now, and it is mid-Oct and still hot as hades here in Texas, my apologies for taking it wrong.

Trop storm Wilma is going to have a heyday in the gulf with all this heat.  :(

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 11:59:11 am »
Trop storm Wilma is going to have a heyday in the gulf with all this heat.  :(

Heat?

DUDE... you are aware that it was, like, 50 degrees in Mobile this morning? Right?

Temps are going down really quick, and the Gulf is several degrees cooler than it was for the last hurricane.