Topic: Need a detailed Sat photo? No problem, just go to Google.  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
Need a detailed Sat photo? No problem, just go to Google.
« on: October 16, 2005, 08:57:02 am »
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051015/india_google_terror.html?.v=5

Oh well, there goes the secrets of the "Electric eye, in the sky."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
Re: Need a detailed Sat photo? No problem, just go to Google.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 02:40:23 pm »
Big brother is watching, but take comfort in the fact that you're too ugly to watch for very long =)

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:47:24 pm »
maps.google images have to be at least 2 years old, at least where I live.  Other areas won't even allow you to have maximum zoom.  I think this is a non-issue.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 06:57:15 am »
maps.google images have to be at least 2 years old, at least where I live.  Other areas won't even allow you to have maximum zoom.  I think this is a non-issue.

GoogleEarth.  Zoom in as much as you want.  Of course, not all part of the US/World have sub 1m resolution.

For the US, most of the major metro areas can be zoomed down to neighborhood level with full clarity.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 08:01:15 am »
I just installed this And If its correct and current somebody has moved into my old house,in the city were I use to live.

Which is great at least it's not setting empty.

Now just to find Sirgoods place, and see what he's up too.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 09:34:22 am »
I'll grab It and see If I can find my place on there. If so I'll post a few Screenshots here.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 10:19:09 am »

I'm in there somewhere

:)

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 07:34:23 pm »

GoogleEarth.  Zoom in as much as you want.  Of course, not all part of the US/World have sub 1m resolution.

For the US, most of the major metro areas can be zoomed down to neighborhood level with full clarity.

I've used google earth as well (I have it on school computers, its a good way to waste a 45 minute study hall period if I'm really bored).  The images of my house there also feel like they are several years old (I moved to the development I'm in almost 2 years ago and it was completed, the pictures they show only have a couple of houses built, not the whole area).
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 06:46:50 am »

I've used google earth as well (I have it on school computers, its a good way to waste a 45 minute study hall period if I'm really bored).  The images of my house there also feel like they are several years old (I moved to the development I'm in almost 2 years ago and it was completed, the pictures they show only have a couple of houses built, not the whole area).

I believe most of the images are the 'newest publically availible' - or at least the newest keyhole/google obtained. 

I know globeXpress (sp?) has newer images in my area, but you need to pay to see those closer in.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 12:34:47 pm »
Where I'm at, many things that are gone (in favor of new construction) are still there in GE.  I'd figure that the images are around three years old for me.  And perhaps for most cities as well, considering the same will be said (things still there in GE but not in real life) for the soon-to-be-late old Busch Stadium (as far as I heard), for example.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 06:11:22 pm »
These aren't keyhole pictures. They're from U.S geological survey satelites, and French SPOT commercial satelite networks, or other commercial satelite services. About 1 meter resolution by the looks of most of em, about as good as what we had in the mid 1970's.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 06:58:45 am »
Where I'm at, many things that are gone (in favor of new construction) are still there in GE.  I'd figure that the images are around three years old for me.  And perhaps for most cities as well, considering the same will be said (things still there in GE but not in real life) for the soon-to-be-late old Busch Stadium (as far as I heard), for example.

It's just the opposite for me, My area hasn't been updated in quite awhile, even though It says 2005. Heck even my Firestation isn't here.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War