Topic: 'SG5 Server Status, up or down...  (Read 20384 times)

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
Re: 'SG5 Server Status, up or down...
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2005, 09:58:21 pm »
Is it the AI markers?
I noticed (in Lyran & Fed space anyway) there are dozens of AI markers- and I was only in a few hexes, there must be hundreds over the server-mostly pirates/monsters
Almost one in every hex and every third or fourth hex has 3 AI ships.

There's no way this many were created by players, maybe pirate production is in Overdrive?

(or maybe it has no effect whatsoever..)

And if it matters- these were hexes far away from the front lines, so they weren't being created by players running missions.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

762_XC

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2005, 10:14:32 pm »
It's a network issue, not a server issue. TS and Dnet are bouncing along with the server.

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2005, 01:43:02 am »
yep it was kind of bad tonight. The Network was real choppy.

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2005, 06:03:29 am »
DB Clean, server will be back up in a few after this post.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2005, 10:47:02 am »
I've noticed that it's rather pointless to try to get on between 10:30 and midnight eastern.  I figure your ISP is doing maintenance or something at that time.  Before that everything's fine, and after it's clear sailing too.  If you could pinpoint what time exactly the network gets fubar, that wuld be a perfect time for DB cleans and such.

It sucks much that it looks to be in primetime though.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2005, 01:45:33 pm »
There have been several nbights where there were disconnects. I dont know why. Ask Frey, doubt he knows. O know he's complained about it tho.

DB cleans take 5 mins. I do them when no one is on. There is no predictability to network issues.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2005, 02:01:35 pm »

DB cleans take 5 mins. I do them when no one is on. There is no predictability to network issues.

Sure there is.
Whenever I have a 3hr+ block of time free to play.
Look for more network problems tonight sometime after 8pm Eastern.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2005, 02:15:39 pm »

Sure there is.
Whenever I have a 3hr+ block of time free to play.
Look for more network problems tonight sometime after 8pm Eastern.

Definately.  I'm not even going to try logging back on until after midnight.  However, it's working great now, but since I have my firewall turned off so I can play, all sorts of crap I don't have to deal with on my mac are afflicting my machine, such as that lsass bug and various other things that freeze the whole show up.  If anyone wants to know why I switched to Mac for the majority of my computing, just turn your firewall off and wait 3 minutes.  You don't even need to visit any sites.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2005, 04:21:49 pm »
Server DB cleaning... Done
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 04:43:23 pm by Dizzy »

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2005, 06:59:08 pm »
Having server issues right now. Bonk has been notified.

Dynanet has been up and down and sluggish for the past hour on and off. I had a few tries logging into XC TS fail.

Players report not being able to successfully draft other players in PvP or co-op. Endless countdowns and disconnects. Players get hung at the map screen and have to logout and reboot OP even. Some take forever to get the map to load.

Did a DB clean shortly after experiencing some of these issues. Thought a DB clean would help, but apparently that isnt the issue...

To be honest, I do not know what is wrong, Doesnt make sense to leave the server up in this condition so the VC's for tonight and the server itself have been suspended till I get the server problem worked out with Frey and Bonk and talk to the RM's on the VCs.

Diz

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2005, 07:10:14 pm »
The Dynaverse.net website was down for about 10 minutes while I updated Apache. It was fine before and after from my connection. This is unrelated to any problems on SGO5. I'll look into the issues with SGO5.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2005, 07:10:35 pm »
 :cuss:
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2005, 07:45:30 pm »
ty bonk!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2005, 07:48:02 pm »
Just started it, logged in, was drafted by Julin and then drafted Julin, logged out and restarted it on the process sentinel - all fine. (Neither Julin or I were running software firewalls.) I changed nothing.

Server is up.

edit: but I did empty the rather full (of old dbs) recycle bin and remove the copy of the cleaner in the server root folder.

edit#2: I backed up the db at 7:27 pm. A daily db clean should not be necessary, this db should hover around 1MB. A clean every 2 or three days should be all that is needed. Server AI will not accumulate, only dead mission AI will accumulate. Please turn off your software firewalls to minimise bad connections and thus dead mission AI and reduce the need for db cleaning.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2005, 07:55:41 pm »
Just started it, logged in, was drafted by Julin and then drafted Julin, logged out and restarted it on the process sentinel - all fine. (Neither Julin or I were running software firewalls.) I changed nothing.

Server is up.

edit: but I did empty the rather full (of old dbs) recycle bin and remove the copy of the cleaner in the server root folder.

edit#2: I backed up the db at 7:27 pm. A daily db clean should not be necessary, this db should hover around 1MB. A clean every 2 or three days should be all that is needed. Server AI will not accumulate, only dead mission AI will accumulate. Please turn off your software firewalls to minimise bad connections and thus dead mission AI and reduce the need for db cleaning.

It's gotta be something on the internet.   I can sign in now, but the map takes about 30 seconds to load.   This is what it was doing before.

Sofware firewall is offf, getting 5 MB down and 1 MB up on cable connection.

I cannot even draft AI right now.   Count down to the map in empty hexes.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2005, 08:07:37 pm »
It's gotta be something on the internet.   I can sign in now, but the map takes about 30 seconds to load.   This is what it was doing before.

Sofware firewall is offf, getting 5 MB down and 1 MB up on cable connection.

Map will always take longer to load then you are used to. We are using xenocorp's IRC server. It does a hostname lookup and does an identd - neither of which the gamespy IRC server does as I recall. Once this is done and IRC login is complete, then the map will load. THe server is not slower, only IRC login is slower, it responds at full speed in all other chat tasks. Theis way, chat does nto go down regularly, we always have chat, as the gamespy IRC server periodically dumps Dyna servers for creating more channels than their server allows. I discussed this in detail with gamespy, they acknoldeged the problem but refused to do anything about it. Firesoul and I thn identified UnrealIRCd as an apporporiate IRC server for dynaverse servers in testing about 4- 5 years ago...

I cannot even draft AI right now. Count down to the map in empty hexes.

Server AI are not "drafted", mission AI is created. I'll login again to test some more...

edit: I just got a timeout on the webserver... something may be up with the network...

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2005, 08:09:05 pm »
heya bonk.

just logged on and got a report that some people can't draft others or AI. seems to be hit or miss as to who is affected. just reporting in!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2005, 08:21:17 pm »
This is what I've seen tonight:

Bonk and I did the counter-draft thing, both tries were excellent.

Got drafted after Bonk's restart, no problem.

Got 7-8 people online, started getting "unable to draft AI issues".  Personally, my first solo try counted 60 secs then "connection to the server has been lost".  Re-signed on, had to play that particular mission I had started earlier.  That worked, with full DV shift, hex flipping neutral, etc.  Second try was till 40 left on clock before being dropped (might have had something to do with the fact that I right-clicked a player name while waiting for the draft), however the mission was not waiting for me upon my return...

Came off server to post observations to this moment...

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2005, 08:32:20 pm »
Getting weirdness now also - Catothelder disappeard from my map and list yet was still logged in...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2005, 08:53:11 pm »
Logging debug output to look for a cause...