Topic: Winner of Titan design contest unveiled  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Winner of Titan design contest unveiled
« on: October 06, 2005, 10:43:09 am »
The winner has been chosen...

Definitely is unique and different than most "hero" ships.  Kind of like the spawn of the Akira and the Sovereign.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Winner of Titan design contest unveiled
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 10:49:21 am »
Well, I kinda like, But I have to wonder about Functionality. unless the top part Nodule is specificly science Related, and the rest is a battle ship. But I do really like the ship. I imagine It won't belong before some of our great modelers Get this into the game.

As an aside, when does those two books Titan go on sale RB?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 11:01:46 am »
Here's a better photo of it.

Book One has been on sale since May, Book Two should be out now if not really soon.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 11:02:48 am »
kinda sad really ..

A cross between the Akira, Voyager ...   and maybe a little Sovereign

I plan on finishing the update on the one that Sandman, Azel and I started.  It should be done soon.
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 11:05:17 am »
Too cool, I'll have to check them out. I usually like to buy the whole series to read anyways. With a few Exceptions IE. ST books like A time to series, and one of my old time favorites, The Furie stuff.

anyway, Thanks RB.

Stephen

PS. Don't get me wrong Ol buzz, I love your work, as with sandman and Azel, But I gotta give this guy some props also just for winning a contest. Shoot, I'd have you guys's models on my HD anyday of the week.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 11:14:52 am »
A cross between the Akira, Voyager ...   and maybe a little Sovereign

It is, but yet it isn't.  It's definitely a bit deeper than a simple kitbash; more like a blending of the designs.  From my reading of the contest rules, there was the same amount if not greater emphasis put on being in line with established Starfleet designs in addition to originality.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 01:33:13 pm »
From here:

Because it was smaller than an Excelsior-class, and was an originally late-2360s sort-of design, I expected more Galaxy-class-esque elements with a basic design that was perhaps similar to FASA's Matt Decker-class design or most any other traditional Primary-neck-secondary with two pylons and two warp engines, a design trend started by Matt Jeffries.  Something sleek and "organic"-looking, almost as if the Starship looked like a living organism, which the Galaxy-class looked like, and seems more advanced-looking and a better way to go in TNG-era Starship design, even though we didn't get that after 2370.

But what we have is a cross between two or three 2370s designs: Some design styles of the Akira-class, some Flash Gordon-inspired retro-ish qualities of the Sovereign-class, and perhaps some Intrepid-class influence at the aft-side of the secondary hull.  If it does meet the categories of originality, then perhaps they weren't going for much in that area, much like when the NX-01 was designed.  Execution?  Maybe.  And for consistancy, I should check the notes again, but if I remember them correctly, I'm sure some some of the descriptions match the winning design, such as in length and maybe windows and size of the shuttlebay, but definately not the design style of the late-2360s.  All in all, Sean Tourangeau only made a kitbash, though it doesn't look all chopped up, I'll give him that, and offer him congrats, even though I didn't participate.

And as for Titan designs by WZ, Azel, Sandman, and Buzz, they're all nice, but they're too big, first and foremost, and would've been rejected for not meeting consistancy with the concept notes for the Titan.  Still, they're nice designs, and given between those designs and the chosen one, I'd choose WZ's anyday.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 01:41:13 pm »
well it looks like i'm gonna be the bad guy here.
   i think the design sucks.
i'm not a fan of wicked zombie or his rabid bichon frises but i thought that his first version of the titan, not the Mnemosyne version, looked true to the concept of what the titan was supposed to be.

but then i'm just a bitter ex-fan of trek.   thank GOD for battlestar galactica.

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 05:26:31 pm »
I'm not a fan of jayvt3 or his flip-flopping viewpoints, but I thought that his previous opinions, not the current, seemed much more likable to the deadite population and me in particular.

Obviously, some people take even the slightest things too seriously so I have no real idea why I suddenly earned your scorn. Not that it particularly matters, nor do I really care. But then, I'm just a bitter, crazy schmuck with a pack of bloodthirsty wolves at
his disposal. Thank the gods for pain and suffering...

I should probably point out that the above was a joke so if anyone else wants to gripe about me and my, uh, poodles? By all means, knock yourselves out. No really, knock yourselves out - try the edge of your desk for starters.

On a serious note, I only ever made one Titan (Mnemosyne) and even it isn't really 'mine' as it's based on an Atolm design. Personally, while I think the winning design itself is acceptable, I don't think it fits for the Titan. I'd imagined it to be more unique and streamlined for a ship of it's size and mission profile, but that's just me.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion about the above design as we all undoubtedly formed our own image of what the Titan was going to look like. We've had over two years to speculate since the ship was mentioned in Nemesis and later featured in the novels. With all this time given before actually seeing it, people have created their own idea of it's appearance. If the ship had been seen right from the start, it probably wouldn't be as debatable.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 06:32:50 pm »
I figured out what the winning design reminded me of.  Observe:

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 09:24:15 pm »
Its an interesting design.  I'd love to see it in some 3/4 view (since flat designs are always difficult for me to really get a feel of what its like).

Incidentally, from the front, it almost looks like a cross between a Sovereign and a Klingon Battlecruiser (like this one) to me.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 06:57:51 pm »
I'd imagined it to be more unique and streamlined for a ship of it's size and mission profile, but that's just me.

Ahhhh

here we are !

I agree 100% bud.  I had hoped it would have been a bit more original, and streamline.

Heck, even after all of that work we put into the project, I must admit our design still had a touch too much of the Sovy to it.  I also agree that if the said "Titan" had been produced a bit sooner the final solution might have been a bit easier to swallow  (as long as it did not smack so heavily of the Akira)  ...  that is to say that "inverted" star ship profile.
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !