Topic: Ladies and gentlemen...the Titan!  (Read 12974 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Ladies and gentlemen...the Titan!
« on: October 06, 2005, 10:42:05 am »
The winner has been chosen...

Definitely is unique and different than most "hero" ships.  Kind of like the spawn of the Akira and the Sovereign.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Ladies and gentlemen...the Titan!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:07:21 am »
Kinda sad really ...

just a cross between the Akira  (not my fav design at all) with a little of the Voyager ... and maybe some Sovy in there.

The drawing style is excellent...    just not too crazy about the design.

Thanks for the info RB ...
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 06:16:59 pm by Rat Boy NCC-75098 »

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 11:56:29 am »
oh dear... that doesnt look like the titan we've imagined at all :(
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 01:16:16 pm »
Now that's pathetic, no imagination, no originality. NO WAY !!!! I'll take WZ and Azel/Sandman/Buzz' Titans anyday over this one.

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Sochin

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:19:55 pm »
Well if they had submitted them at the time then they might of had the chance of winning, I seem to remember a great deal of negativity towards the compertition from the majority of people here. You cant bleet about the result after that.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 01:24:46 pm »
Hmmm... I guess its sort of ok.  I think its good that its a kit bash of other ships.  We see it all the time with 23rd century, why not 24th?   I'm not sure why people keep thinking that the Titan was supose to be a more powerful ship then a Soverign, this looks like it could be a light crusier/Scout Crusier or War Cursier counterpart.
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 01:26:48 pm »
Things never are what people imagined.  If it is what people imagined, then it is very rare for such to happen.

Because it was smaller than an Excelsior-class, and was an originally late-2360s sort-of design, I expected more Galaxy-class-esque elements with a basic design that was perhaps similar to FASA's Matt Decker-class design or most any other traditional Primary-neck-secondary with two pylons and two warp engines, a design trend started by Matt Jeffries.  Something sleek and "organic"-looking, almost as if the Starship looked like a living organism, which the Galaxy-class looked like, and seems more advanced-looking and a better way to go in TNG-era Starship design, even though we didn't get that after 2370.

But what we have is a cross between two or three 2370s designs: Some design styles of the Akira-class, some Flash Gordon-inspired retro-ish qualities of the Sovereign-class, and perhaps some Intrepid-class influence at the aft-side of the secondary hull.  If it does meet the categories of originality, then perhaps they weren't going for much in that area, much like when the NX-01 was designed.  Execution?  Maybe.  And for consistancy, I should check the notes again, but if I remember them correctly, I'm sure some some of the descriptions match the winning design, such as in length and maybe windows and size of the shuttlebay, but definately not the design style of the late-2360s.  All in all, Sean Tourangeau only made a kitbash, though it doesn't look all chopped up, I'll give him that, and offer him congrats, even though I didn't participate.

And as for Titan designs by WZ, Azel, Sandman, and Buzz, they're all nice, but they're too big, first and foremost, and would've been rejected for not meeting consistancy with the concept notes for the Titan.  Still, they're nice designs, and given between those designs and the chosen one, I'd choose WZ's anyday.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:34:18 pm »
I have to admit, I wonder why most designs by people shy away from the Galaxy/Intrepid/New Orleans ships.  I do miss that a lot from TNG.  Now everybody tries to copy the Soverign.   ::)

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 01:41:57 pm »
Chris, if you'd checked the notes, this is a new ship, supposedly the latest line of explorers - the Luna class allegedly, so it was never going to feature any Galaxy-era qualities very heavily, look at the reg man, this thing is brand new out of the docks, not 2360s, 2380s.

Besides I always thought the Galaxy was a terrible design, I simply don't buy that whole organic automatically equals more adanced nonsense. Advanced tech can be made to fit into any shape or form you want, you could make a 24th century ship that looked like a roman war galley on the outside, it could still have all the nifty tech on the inside where it can't be seen. I'm not overly fond of the Sovereign, but it was a step above the Galaxy for me. Fed design has never surpassed the TMP Constitution IMHO.

As for Sean Tourangeau's design, I agree it does have elements of a kitbash in it, the nacelles are taken almost direct from the Akira, the ridges either side of the bridge are also f**king retarded, they were only there on the Akira to provide a 'stump' for the catamarans to emerge from, on this ship they serve no purpose other than to uglify the shape of the saucer. I quite like the area that walls in the approach to the shuttlebay at the top rear, a novel shape but practically I'd have keept the shuttlebay at the back and thus have achieved more internal volume.
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 01:51:05 pm »
I disagree with you about the Galaxy class.  When they made that ship, it was well thought out to each and every deck.  I have the blue prints and I must say the Galaxy class has a HUGE amout of space which must have ment that Starfleet was expecting to have the class fill a variety of roles.  The soverign doesn't seem like it has as much internal volumn as the Galaxy so i would imagine it is mostly geared torward combat. 

And whats wrong with the Galaxy/Intrepid/New Orleans/Nebula classes?  They have elegant curves and are probably easier to build then those a lot of the other ships we see later.  I don't have much love for the Akira or Norway, they look like they were glued together in my opinion.

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 04:08:47 pm »
You misunderstood my point Magnum, I wasn't saying the Galaxy was not thought out internally, I was saying the organic look is a fallacy, no object has to look any particular way unless it's appearance is dictated by technical concerns Star Trek ships feature 90% of their components on the inside, very little has to be accessed externally and the outer 'skin' of the ships is dictated largely through aesthetic concerns it seems, thus a ship will look organic if the designers happen to think organic looking ships are pretty nice, it will look industrial and angular if the designers happen to think industrial and angular looking ships are pretty nice, beyond the basic layout of a ship in ST, the rest of it's external appearance is purely an aesthetic concern.

Re: the internal volume of the Sovereign, it actually has less volume than the Ambassador, but that does not mean it can't be an explorer, the Constitution class is tiny compared to even the Sovereign, let alone the Galaxy and it was the prime explorer of it's day, given the tendency towards miniaturisation in any technology the only logical way to go is smaller and more automated ships, not hulking behemoths like the Galaxy, the only reason for it's gigantic proportions is hubris - 'lets build the biggest ship we can to show everyone how f**king great the Federation is!' rather than 'lets build the most sophisticated explorer ship with the best tech we can!' which would really given technological advance probably yield a ship around the size of the Intrepid or this new Titan. No more space is actually needed, it's just a luxury.
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 04:30:22 pm »
actually, i'm for bigger.  if you think about it makes logical sense.  For one you must consider that an explorer will be away from home for long periods of time.  You also must consider that an explorer will be doing precisely that, exploring the uknown.  in many cases i see the ship as huge as it provides a large complement of crew, it gives it a huge amount of storage space, it allows for areas of the ship to becom heavily damaged with out affecting the total operation of the ship.  by minimizing it you remove alot of the crew.  The crew is the most essential part, as when you think about it they are the ones who will make all repairs, run all science and exploration missions, and generally keep the ship going.  by limiting them you limit your capabilties extensivly because you are now dependent on automated systsems as you put it.  when a system fails, who must take over?  the crew.  by having an abudance, you give your self leeway if such things happen.  also note w/ a smaller ship that is fully automated, loosing portions of the hull for whatever reason is bad, as you might take out an automated system.  and because of limted space there might not be many redundancies.  in a larger ship, especially one with lot of volume, you can make sure that you have the backups you need, that they are easily protected on the inside of the ship.  finally when it comes down to it, a larger crew allows for faster repairs.  sure the lager ship provides more area to cover, however when you realize that both ships will have the same vital systems, the ship with the larger crew can get those vital systems up faster than smaller ship.  further automation usually makes said system more complicated, further hindering repair time.

of course that is just my opinion (and i personally agree, the design is fugly, good work on the artist, but fugly and not worthy of a titan)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 05:07:25 pm »
Ya... 1st impression, I was dissappointed. Upon further examination, blah, same conclusion. Overall, blah. Final notes, blah.

Who here looked upon it and marveled at how cool they thought it was?

Offline CaptainTombs

• Captain of Unity Shipyards and USS Luna
  • Lt.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 05:31:48 pm »
i love it, hope someone makes this would be a sweet addition to anyones fleet, i dont see why bigger is always better, look at the defiant smaller is the way to go.

either way i love it and i hope to get the books when they come out in the uk
Star Trek: Unity
"Recycling the Old to build the new ships of the Future"

Star Trek Unity (Fanfic with pictures)
Keep Credits where they belong

Sindell: One of the Anla-Shok has acted inappropriately and must be punished, perhaps even expelled.
G'Kar: What was his crime?
Sindell: Staying alive!
G'Kar: Curious. Until now, I hadn't known it was a crime.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 06:29:22 pm »
... i dont see why bigger is always better... smaller is the way to go.

<snip> pun intended.

You are the only male I've heard say that. Remember, its not how you use it, its how big it is...

You want to start a flame war? The defiant is a unwanted, unloved red-headed bastard stepchild that should have been aborted. It is an embarrASSment and mockery of the star trek universe and its creator and his family should be publicly hung, dismembered, burned and the ashes used as kitty litter.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 06:32:24 pm »
I figured out what the winning design reminded me of.  Observe:

Offline CaptainTombs

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 06:33:20 pm »
a nice resemblance i wonder if this is what the luna's class predessacor was
Star Trek: Unity
"Recycling the Old to build the new ships of the Future"

Star Trek Unity (Fanfic with pictures)
Keep Credits where they belong

Sindell: One of the Anla-Shok has acted inappropriately and must be punished, perhaps even expelled.
G'Kar: What was his crime?
Sindell: Staying alive!
G'Kar: Curious. Until now, I hadn't known it was a crime.

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 07:03:20 pm »
Mine was better.   ;D

But of course I would think that, wouldn't I?  ;)

Not that it matters, because mine never made it into the contest...   :-\

There are elements of it that I like, but the whole package just doesn't add up for me...
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 07:04:56 pm »
I figured out what the winning design reminded me of.  Observe:

If the guy knew about that design before making it, then I'd reduce his originality points to near zero if I could, but give him some for blending a kitbashed design so it doesn't look as much so.  However, considering what he borrowed from, I'd believe more of it as a coincidence.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher