Poll

What do you tell your opponent/community after a PvP loss

good game
You won as I played poorly
I chose the wrong ship
it was luck
the game sucks

Topic: Poll on what you say after you lose a PvP match  (Read 9053 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: Poll on what you say after you lose a PvP match
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2005, 07:01:16 pm »
Exactly, corbo. I mean, now lets get into this... If we really didnt even get into our match and you got the upper hand and smacked me down hard handing me my pwng papers b4 the door hit me on the way out, then f*ck no, dont dare say GG or ur an ass.

Makes me sick when ppl are pwnd hard b4 there was even a game and they say, GG!. Bastards. All of them.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005, 07:05:38 pm »
But you're missing the point. Its just good etiquette. Rubbing it in is bad form. Besides, it was a good game for at least one of you!  :P ;D

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2005, 07:08:15 pm »
Ya, Frey, but cmon, havent u won so decidedly, I mean u so pwnd them that you almost feel typing gg is an insult to them? Sometimes I just dont type anything... edit: I mean, I've been there too. I have been so pwnd before it was embarrassing and the other guy types GG! and its like, no it wasnt! That's lame.

I don't feel it's about ego.

If someone blastes the smack outta me, then I will give them a "GG" because that's me.

If I blasticate the smack outta someone else, then since I know what it's like to be in the opposite situation that I don't want them to feel bad.

It's just a game, for Christs sake.

Exactly, Corbo - it's about etiquette and honor - and I'm starting to wonder if any respect that concept any more.

Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2005, 07:10:02 pm »
I see what u are saying... but it is not a generally accepted practice. Therefore some see saying such a thing after what can arguably be considered a bad game, insulting in the extreme, either that or ignorant and insensitive.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005, 07:13:09 pm »
Again, perhaps that's because people don't understand the concept of "gentlemanly combat".

This is a GAME - GAME GAME GAME GAME GAME !!

If we cannot - as a community and as people - understand and respect one another....well, what's the frakking point?

If someone feels so badly because they got smackicated that the opposing player saying "GG, well tried" is insulting, I don't think they need to be playing OP...

They need to be getting some counselling !!!!

:o
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2005, 07:18:03 pm »
I'm beginning to see your point of view Dizzy. Would typing "Damn you suck!" be more appropriate?  ::)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2005, 07:18:47 pm »
Frey, honor and respect have nothing to do with typing GG. Using GG in some situations as has been described is purely bad form. So if you concluded this thread into what you say after you lose a pvp match, GG may not be one of the things you should say if you do want to show honor and respect. ;)

Regards,

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2005, 07:20:01 pm »
I'm beginning to see your point of view Dizzy. Would typing "Damn you suck!" be more appropriate?  ::)

Absolutely not. And you are way off base.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2005, 07:27:30 pm »

Absolutely not. And you are way off base.

So what do you suggest? Type nothing and let the person feel you and all your buddies on TS are  :rofl: and ripping them a new one?

Like I said, offering advice will immediately dispel any lingering doubt as to your intentions when offering up a GG. They don't have to accept it, but the offer  is self explanatory.

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2005, 07:42:51 pm »
I would much rather receive a GG if the game was good, or bad, or down right ugly on my end or the other guy's end.  Getting no GG(sometimes though it happens because you typed it too slow and game ended) because it seemed unbalanced to me is, well, worse. 

Just common courtesy to offer a GG.  if the other person really feels it was not, he will type it out.  This I know, I have seen it.  I have to go with Frey on this one.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2005, 07:45:22 pm »
DONT offer GG if there wasnt one. That is my point. Offering advice may also be insulting... may even make you look like an arrogant ass.

Here's what you do. You type 'GG?' if you win by a landslide that wasnt even a game. That sets the tone for the losing player to confirm or deny such a suggestion. Then go from there.

You do not type GG if u lose by a landslide that wasnt even a game. Type something else, like, 'U sure pwnd me'. That opens the door for communication on possible advice and other handy things.

Bottom line is dont type GG if it wasnt one. What is so hard about that? Mb this community needs a server rule on that?

Rule Suggestion:

• - You have the right to ask your opponent at the end of a match if it Is a valid tactic to say GG when a match is concluded. This must be proceeded by talking about the validity of dropping a GS on ftrs 1st.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2005, 07:52:11 pm »
And who is the judge on whether it was good or not?

762_XC

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2005, 07:54:16 pm »
Typing "GG" is never inappropriate. Even if it was a lousy game.

NOT typing it is just downright rude.

Competitiveness should never trump conduct and sportsmanship.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2005, 07:55:44 pm »

You see? If t00l and I can agree on something, is has to be the right thing to do.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2005, 08:13:34 pm »

Competitiveness should never trump conduct and sportsmanship.

Typing GG right after u waste someone b4 the game even started IS inappropriate. It smacks of rudeness and chest thumping. It isnt respectful or good sportsmanship. It is insulting, inflamatory and disrespectful.

If your acronym vocabulary is so limited to GG then maybe you should go brush up on some new ones: http://www.lingo2word.com/lists/acronym_listA.html

762_XC

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2005, 08:22:23 pm »
You're nuts. WTF do YOU type? OMG, I SO PWNED JOO!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!11!!!!1! TRY 2 SHO UP NEXT TIME L4M3R!!!!!1!!!11!!

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2005, 08:24:44 pm »
I've always typed Good Game whether I’ve won or lost, as I believe its common courtesy to do so. Even if the game wasn’t particularly thrilling or if it was the case that I had perhaps made mistakes that lead to the outcome of the game I would still always type GG. That's the good thing about the sportsmanship the majority of the time around here, I’d rather see GG's than the term "pwned!" as seen in games such as CS.

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2005, 08:30:28 pm »
perhaps impose a new rule

:  Type GG to anyone you fly against, unles his name is Dizzy  ;)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2005, 08:48:35 pm »
You're nuts. WTF do YOU type? OMG, I SO PWNED JOO!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!11!!!!1! TRY 2 SHO UP NEXT TIME L4M3R!!!!!1!!!11!!

You are going off the deep end in exactly the opposite direction I am talking about. You conservative holier than thou it's my way or the highway peeps need to chill and broaden your horizons. It's not all black and white. Blanketing GG on every situation is just narrow.

Try apologizing for pwning someone, mb? Make excuses for why you are so good. Blame it on lag... or luck or weather.

As champion of the players who get pwnd and feel humiliated by better captains such as yourself, tool, who say GG and rub it in, I say WE = whatever.

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2005, 08:52:04 pm »
80% of the voters Cant be ALL wrong can they?