Poll

What do you tell your opponent/community after a PvP loss

good game
You won as I played poorly
I chose the wrong ship
it was luck
the game sucks

Topic: Poll on what you say after you lose a PvP match  (Read 9066 times)

Offline FPF-Wanderer

• Order of Battle Wonk
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Trek Nerd Since 1976
Re: Poll on what you say after you lose a PvP match
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 07:36:30 pm »
Bear, Tobin, the both of you need to knock it off and chill.  It's pissing me off that two guys who I consider friends are sniping at each other over stupid crap that you both can simply agree to disagree and leave it at that.  I don't care who started it, but I'm ending it.  KNOCK IT OFF!  >:(

Alliance SAC, SG4 / Alliance SAC, RDSL / Federation A/RM: AOTK, SSII, GW4 / Federation Chief of Staff / Member of the Flying Circus / Alliance Map Guy

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 07:36:40 pm »
I will question your pestering me on these boards.

You are acting as a child and it is not worth my time to play with you.

And next time I get the chance, I will push you off the board, just b/c it will tick you off.

Enjoy the evening, I am going to watch hockey then go to work.
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 07:38:35 pm »
Bear, Tobin, the both of you need to knock it off and chill. It's pissing me off that two guys who I consider friends are sniping at each other over stupid crap that you both can simply agree to disagree and leave it at that. I don't care who started it, but I'm ending it. KNOCK IT OFF! >:(

No Wanderer, I have no problem what so ever. 

Tobin is the one with a problem with SOV and with ME.

So talk to him.  I am done with it.

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Braxton_RIP

• Lt. Commander
    • Dynaverse.net
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 09:18:58 pm »
Why isn't there a F***!!! option?
Braxton,
Old Geezer

Typical Fleet:
F-DNL, F-CB, F-CLC
Braxton's Fleet:
F-CVTCR, F-BTR, F-BTL+

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 10:35:34 pm »
I usually will type "GG".  On occassion I'll type that I flew poorly and my oponent made me pay for my mistakes.  In those cases I'm usually seeking a rematch, not that I could win one, but that I'd like to fly one just so my opponent knows that I'm normally capable of flying better.  If I get beat by skill and creative tactics despite my flying realitively well I'll type "Well Done" or "Nice piloting" or some such and I'll usually post something on the forums or type something in general chat to that effect as well celebrating the skill of the pilot who just beat me, especially if I had what I considered to be the superior ship.

I also generally avoid posting my kills on those silly chest thumping kill threads, unless there are VCS involved with the outcome of the match, or it was a particularly close or interesting fight in which case I'm interested in discussing some aspect of the tactics rather than any discussion focusing on who won or lost.  I've always felt that posting kills for the sake of chest thumping is unsportsman-like and not good for the comunity in general unless the match was between fleetmates or particularly close friends.  Also its ok when someone gets paid back a bit, like when t00l got captured by Hexx.  T00l brought that posting on himself for years of Hexx screenshots.  However, I'll gladly post it when slamming my wingman into a planet or asteroid.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with a bit of chest thumping or making posts to boost the morale of your side, I just feel that the general forums is not the place for it.  We have the team forums at SFC2.Net that are the appropriate place for those posts.  You kill someone there you can post it without making your opponent look bad to the rest of his teammates.  I want to keep players interested in the game and to keep any new arrivals we get, not chase them off by making them feel like they let their team down when they die despite doing their best. 

I salute those players who have died and had their names posted on kill threads by some inconsiderate "chest-thumper" and have still stuck with the game, to me thats more impressive than any number of kills that someone posts.

I think I been keeping that  back for quite sometime not wanting to offend the "Chest-thumpers" many of whom I consider good friends, but maybe its better to make them think a bit before they thump their chest the next time, I just hope they take it as friendly advice.

762_XC

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 11:15:28 pm »
I don't know that posting a kill in general will make someone "look bad"; I think most pilots realize that a lot of battles go by what ships were flown, what the situation was and what the pilots had for breakfast that morning.

If I post a kill it's not to humiliate someone, just more along the lines of a good natured ribbing. I know full well that anyone I pwn may end up pwning me tomorrow.

Even Hexx apparently.  :P

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 12:33:56 am »
but maybe its better to make them think a bit before they thump their chest the next time

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 04:24:43 am »

If I post a kill it's not to humiliate someone, just more along the lines of a good natured ribbing. I know full well that anyone I pwn may end up pwning me tomorrow.

Thats why I said among close friends and fleetmates I wasn't really bothered with such posts, but vs those I don't know so well and newer players I think its better to keep the posts off general unless a VC is involved.

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 06:43:39 am »
I don't know that posting a kill in general will make someone "look bad"; I think most pilots realize that a lot of battles go by what ships were flown, what the situation was and what the pilots had for breakfast that morning.

Indeed.  But don't forget, you don't dare point out that if you would have flown better or different that the outcome could have changed.  That is apparently offensive to some players. ::)

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 07:28:59 am »

Thats why I said among close friends and fleetmates I wasn't really bothered with such posts, but vs those I don't know so well and newer players I think its better to keep the posts off general unless a VC is involved.

I agree, especially when it comes to newbs. Private racial or fleet forums are one thing, but posting in general that you killed Joe Klink's F5C in ugly ways in his first ever D2 battle with your DN just doesn't strike me as very sporting.

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005, 08:43:09 am »

I agree, especially when it comes to newbs. Private racial or fleet forums are one thing, but posting in general that you killed Joe Klink's F5C in ugly ways in his first ever D2 battle with your DN just doesn't strike me as very sporting.

Totally agree... I mean if a captain brags about a kill vs a newb especially one in an equal or smaller hull class, that just makes the bragger look really really bad. It's one thing to boast about a kill that was well deserved and another to humiliate someone.

Course, kill boasting is totally ok imo, but its got to be done in good taste. I think posting that sorta thing here on this forum in a tasteful manner is A ok, but if you are pwning a side totally with newb kills and others as well, that sort of thing is morale food for you side and needs to be kept on your own private forums... not here. Just mho.

Going a bit further, posting a kill as per VC's, sure, keep it professional: Killed Dfly in his CA with my CA, gg. Like that. But if you did this: 'Killed Dfly's DN with my FF, Yes I am the greatest! Bow down b4 me and worship your master', sure thats cool, cuz Dfly is a good captain and I'm good enough friends I can get away with that... without losing too much karma, hehe. That sort of thing is even good for roleplay stories. I think it just depends on who you kill, how and how you present the kill on the forums. Every post is unique and there isnt a set ettiquette for the way u do it. Just try to be tasteful, after all, aint that what that karma feature is all about?

Like if you kill me, it wouldnt surprise me if peeps threw at me the kitchen sink on boasting and jibbing, hehe. Hell, I deserve every bit of it I'm sure!

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005, 08:44:35 am »
Posting screenshots of Hexx dying is always acceptable :P
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005, 09:05:51 am »

<sigh> Since I think you're about the one person I haven't killed on a server I think it's about time for a lesson.

Might have to fly coalition for the first day or two on SGO..
Have to see how good that CF of yours really is...
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 10:19:48 am »

<sigh> Since I think you're about the one person I haven't killed on a server I think it's about time for a lesson.

Please Hexx, my odds of getting killed are much higher with you as my Wingman  ;D
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Braxton_RIP

• Lt. Commander
    • Dynaverse.net
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2005, 11:00:34 am »
I have this distinct feeling for the need of a GSC+ right about now to control those two.... lol
Braxton,
Old Geezer

Typical Fleet:
F-DNL, F-CB, F-CLC
Braxton's Fleet:
F-CVTCR, F-BTR, F-BTL+

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2005, 11:05:25 am »

Please Hexx, my odds of getting killed are much higher with you as my Wingman  ;D

Llike that's happened more than 4 of the 5 times I've winged with you..
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2005, 12:55:19 pm »
Regardless of whether I win or loose, I always let the other players know "GG".

I think that's an honorable thing to do.

Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2005, 04:43:39 pm »
Ya, Frey, but cmon, havent u won so decidedly, I mean u so pwnd them that you almost feel typing gg is an insult to them? Sometimes I just dont type anything... edit: I mean, I've been there too. I have been so pwnd before it was embarrassing and the other guy types GG! and its like, no it wasnt! That's lame.

Offline Braxton_RIP

• Lt. Commander
    • Dynaverse.net
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2005, 06:04:15 pm »
Ya, Frey, but cmon, havent u won so decidedly, I mean u so pwnd them that you almost feel typing gg is an insult to them? Sometimes I just dont type anything... edit: I mean, I've been there too. I have been so pwnd before it was embarrassing and the other guy types GG! and its like, no it wasnt! That's lame.

I can agree with what Diz is saying there.  For instance, getting caught in a deathdrag and having your DD blow up in a matter of seconds.
Braxton,
Old Geezer

Typical Fleet:
F-DNL, F-CB, F-CLC
Braxton's Fleet:
F-CVTCR, F-BTR, F-BTL+

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2005, 06:45:00 pm »
That all may be true, but it is still polite to say GG. If I feel I smacked some one around like a red headed stepchild <cough-Dizzy-cough>, I usually try to offer advice as to why I won so easily and try to improve their game. If I get smacked around, I usually ask for advice if I can't figure out what I did wrong.