Topic: You learn something new everyday: Khan's spawn  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
You learn something new everyday: Khan's spawn
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:28:33 pm »
From the TrekBBS

Strangely enough, I always wondered why Khan's people didn't try to perpetuate themselves whilst in isolation.  I guess they did, Paramount's editorial decision notwithstanding.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: You learn something new everyday: Khan's spawn
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 03:36:02 am »
I always assumed that most of the children were killed off by Ceti Alpha V's hostile environment/wildlife, and the casualties among the adults eventually led to the survivors being able to procreate only at a very slow rate.

Still...the image on your linked thread seems as if it could be powerful if it'd been played right.  I agree with some of those posters that it's a bit creepy, and that the child's death might've made the movie more depressing than it already was, but somehow I think it might've made things more profound too...something about 'this is what happens when man plays God' or other such.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 08:27:19 am »
Hmm, it is also a bit of the symbolic that is cut out of the film, with the birth of a new planet being symbolized as the baby touches the device?
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

762_XC

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:55:36 am »
That is creepy as hell.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 04:15:25 pm »
BAH!!! No can do... they realized that they couldn't beam people in a nebula so they nix'd the whole idea. ;D
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay