Topic: Pirates!!!!! (Hey, J. Carney......)  (Read 9532 times)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
Re: Pirates!!!!! (Hey, J. Carney......)
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 04:16:49 pm »
Since we are on the subject of sailing ships I'll take a slight detour. Anyone ever play Wooden Ships and Iron Men?
Nope, but I'm checking it out right now on the internet.  It looks like fun.  The hex grid definitely helps with making distance judgment calls, but I kinda like the free-form style of Pirates.  It feels more natural and less confining.  It's definitely a more serious game than Pirates.

Offline Aldaron_Nirantani

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 07:09:08 pm »
Since we are on the subject of sailing ships I'll take a slight detour. Anyone ever play Wooden Ships and Iron Men?
Nope, but I'm checking it out right now on the internet.  It looks like fun.  The hex grid definitely helps with making distance judgment calls, but I kinda like the free-form style of Pirates.  It feels more natural and less confining.  It's definitely a more serious game than Pirates.

It's the SFB version of Pirates. Many more rules (draft, wind, boarding parties, grappling, etc).
Nirantani Master Smuggler/Master Weaponsmith 12 pt

Kendrick Starwolf TKM/Master Pistoleer/Smug 4030

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2005, 01:32:22 pm »
I wish Pirates took more things like wind into account.  I'm not exactly sure how withought making the game more complicated or less free-form, but it seems like wind, which was very important to these kinds of ships, is almost completely ignored.  I like playing Sid Meier's Pirates! (both the old DOS version and the new remake) and wind is the most important part of traveling across the map and in ship-to-ship combat.

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 08:43:37 pm »
I just wish to Hades Sid and company would make an online Pirates game so we can all play on a server dynastyle! I still play the game, it's great, but I'd much rather have us all play on a server together like we did for EAW and OP. There would not be any waiting to get to a damaged ship, all we would have to do is sit nearby and pounce after the players ship escaped one battle! Sucks having damaged sails and hull, eh?  ;D

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 09:51:26 pm »
There are a lot of people screaming for an online multiplayer Pirates!, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Sid has never really been that big on multiplayer games.  It took forever for them to develop a good online multiplayer system for the Civiliztion series (by the way, Civ II is one of my all-time favorite games), and since this is a remake of the classic where there was no real drastic change to the gameplay, I doubt Sid will re-invent the wheel so people can play with it online.  Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see an online version of this game (as long as I don't have to pay a monthly fee), but I seriously doubt that we'll ever see one from Sid Meier.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 10:03:47 pm »
There are a lot of people screaming for an online multiplayer Pirates!, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Sid has never really been that big on multiplayer games.  It took forever for them to develop a good online multiplayer system for the Civiliztion series (by the way, Civ II is one of my all-time favorite games), and since this is a remake of the classic where there was no real drastic change to the gameplay, I doubt Sid will re-invent the wheel so people can play with it online.  Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see an online version of this game (as long as I don't have to pay a monthly fee), but I seriously doubt that we'll ever see one from Sid Meier.

Maybe the Civ series taught him a lesson?

I know it's a lot to hope for, but i'm still gonna hope for it- as well as a few expansion packs that'll add more types of ships (a slaver would be nice- heavily armed and pre-stocked with pirates) and maybe even the chance to raid and plunder Oriental-style. ;D
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 02:10:05 pm »
Pirates of the Barbary Coast just hit the shelves today!  I picked up three packs and am very pleased with what I got.  I got 3 rare ships, and all of the ships I got are galleys.  One is Spanish and the rest (5) are Barbary Corsairs.  I'm glad I'm not having the problem I had with the Pirates of the Revolution packs.  I've bought five Revolution packs so far and only got one American ship.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2005, 02:24:01 pm »
Pirates of the Barbary Coast just hit the shelves today!  I picked up three packs and am very pleased with what I got.  I got 3 rare ships, and all of the ships I got are galleys.  One is Spanish and the rest (5) are Barbary Corsairs.  I'm glad I'm not having the problem I had with the Pirates of the Revolution packs.  I've bought five Revolution packs so far and only got one American ship.

WHOOT!

I'm gonna hae to set aide some of my meager profits from the drill check to get a set or three!
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Aldaron_Nirantani

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2005, 11:01:11 pm »
I recently bought Sid Meier's "Pirates" arrrgh :)
Nirantani Master Smuggler/Master Weaponsmith 12 pt

Kendrick Starwolf TKM/Master Pistoleer/Smug 4030

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 12:01:33 am »
My younger brother who is heavily into games like SW TTE and stuff bought pirates today too Aldaron, he is hooked! I think even though it is a single player game it should have no problems being game of the year. Though I do remember SH3 had us hooked for a while too, and the graphics were just stunning.

I'm sure Admiral wifey of Dracho is GLAD he got that one back on the "used" list!  ;)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2005, 02:47:27 pm »
I've bought eleven Revolution packs and I have only found two American ships!  I have the Freedom, the Boston, and a duplicate of the Boston.  I have tons of American crew, including three American captains, but I don't have the ships to use them on.  The only other captain I have is French, but I don't have very many French ships either.  My best ships are Pirate ships, but I don't have any Pirate captains!  This is getting frustrating.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2005, 08:14:18 pm »
Indeed, that's the idea.  Buy more and more, get less and less of what you need, buy more and more.  It's a racket.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2005, 08:26:40 pm »
Jeez, with all the fun you guys are having with those pack games, you would THINK that Sid would have started an online Pirates game and server by now!  ;)

I still play Pirates a lot, and today I bagged a ship of the line in the 3rd year! Very, very rare indeed. Then I wasted 3 years in the gulf of Mexico, no pirate bases or support bases at all in the area, I kept beating the snot out of Villa Hermosa but with them having less than  100 soldiers, and me too, no matter how many times I beat up the captain of the guard, it would not let me turn it French. Why French you say? They had a settlement only a short distance of sailing away from Villa Hermosa. If the game had given me Villa Hermosa then the settlement would provide governors, troops, immigrants, etc... I would have had a base of power and then could shut down the gulf area, thus leaving me to concentrate on Havana, San Juan, Santiago, and Santo Domingo. Once those are shut down, then Montalban, Raymondo, and Mendoza are easy targets as the only Spanish ports left are along the southern main, which is fast and easy sailing.  ;)

Oh well, I shut that game down because of my strategic mistake of not loading that ship of line up with max crew BEFORE i entered the gulf as I thought there would be a few pirate bases. Turned out to be a big mistake, and a waste of a mighty fine ship!

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2005, 10:51:56 pm »
Used to be a big ship man, J.C., but I'm trying a campaign in a Royal sloop that one of the famous pirates "donated" to me after I kicked his arse, it's a hoot! With the faster sailing speed on the water, you can actually engage more ships racking up more gold in addition to getting from point A to point B quicker! I can see why you like the Brig of War so much, it's a good ship too.

Still have to borrow a frigate or large frigate every now and then as those governors like to keep large garrisons sometimes, I dunno why...  :)

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2005, 12:36:58 am »
Used to be a big ship man, J.C., but I'm trying a campaign in a Royal sloop that one of the famous pirates "donated" to me after I kicked his arse, it's a hoot! With the faster sailing speed on the water, you can actually engage more ships racking up more gold in addition to getting from point A to point B quicker! I can see why you like the Brig of War so much, it's a good ship too.

Still have to borrow a frigate or large frigate every now and then as those governors like to keep large garrisons sometimes, I dunno why...  :)

ROFFL!

Yeah, I'm reinstalling it now after some much needed and long delayed repairs on my comp. I'm planning to hook up with a Brig-of-War as soon as I can aquire one.

I alos like the West Indiaman- I outfit them as cruisers and use them for either long range missions into the Spanish Main (where their manuverability is not an issue agianst Spanish Galleons) or simply use the mussle of 200+ crewmen to make towns tremble at the mention of the name Okaktuppa.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2005, 10:16:32 am »
The royal sloop is the only way to go.  Enough weapons to outgun a lot of ships, and the speed to close on pretty much anything you want.  I've thought about trying to go through with a big slow boat, but we'll see how that goes.  My current game, I'm trying to get those last two lost cities before I die of old age, since I have taken everything else.  That's a lot of ballroom dancing! ;)

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2005, 10:37:56 am »
I've bought eleven Revolution packs and I have only found two American ships!  I have the Freedom, the Boston, and a duplicate of the Boston.  I have tons of American crew, including three American captains, but I don't have the ships to use them on.  The only other captain I have is French, but I don't have very many French ships either.  My best ships are Pirate ships, but I don't have any Pirate captains!  This is getting frustrating.

It's all luck of the draw, my friend.

My draw of American ships hasn't been that great either, but as I'm mostly interested in playing British it hasn't bothered me much.  My son, on the other hand,  bought his very first pack last week.  This was his first pack of any Pirates set, not just Pirates of the Revolution.  What does he get?  First ship out of the pack?  The Bonhomme Richard!

I'm having a blast with this game.  I've actually gotten my wife into it as well and she loves to play as well.   I knew I loved her when I married her, but I never guessed I'd end up being able to do tabletop miniatures games with her.

Last weekend she, my son, and I had a massive three-way battle in which she bought a fort.  I thought she was foolish, because I hadn't seen them as being very useful.  Then I outmaneuvered her and isolated one of her ships against an island with two of my own and comletely dismasted it with my first volley and was set to do the same with the "rescue ship" screaming in to our position....... only to see her cackle with glee as she touched the island and suddenly a fort sprang up right next to our growing battle.

A litle scrub ship way in the back had just dropped off the constuction money on her home island.   This had been her plan all along; use one ship as a sacrificial lamb to lure me into gunrange of a quickly built fort.  She sank one of my ships, captured the other, and even was able to tow her cripple to the fort for repairs.

Man, I was so owned.

The rest of the game saw me try to keep the remants of my fleet out of evryone's gun range and gather enough of the remaining gold to eek out a victory.  (didn't work;  I had to scamper off too often and finished third.) Meanwhile my wife repaired her now much bigger fleet and went hunting for my son's  Bonhomme Richard and its support ships, which were trying to blackade her home island so that she couldn't get the last of her gold back home and surpass his total.  Now that was a furball; I think every ship rammed someone before it was over!

Wish I'd taken pictures.  Those new firemast pieces mak ships look really impressive when they are burning down to the waterline.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2005, 06:38:25 pm »
You wanna get those cities and make Baron in all the powers within 12 years game time? I got it down pat!  ;D

Start off any power, but you want to work your way up north as soon as possible, try to bag any pirates along the way so you build up good cash flow. Stop by Spanish ports along the way and do missions for their settlements and with the immigration atFriar Tuck's so you can get rank and score cheeser points before you unleash a "shock and awe" upon Spain. Somebody is always at war with Spain, and my first target is always St. Augustine. I also look at the map and pay attention to "settlements" that are nearby that may be with the power I want to install in the city I take. After taking a Spanish city I make a trip to a settlement and install a governor (though they will do all that on their own in time) and I visit Friar Tuck and try to bag an immigration mission and put them in the city to help build it back up.

St. Augustine is easy, now for the hard work, taking out the Gulf of Mexico cities, Havana, Santiago, Santo Domingo, and San Juan (I'll explain why later). If I do not have a large force, I stop by EVERY Indian place and pirate base along the way, and tell them my target city is ripe for an attack, even if they fail, they still wear down the defense forces. Also ALWAYS kill troop transports, you do not want them reinforcing anything in your area. I also try to engage every invasion force as well, they pay good, and I want credit for taking a city, not the power I work for just sneaking on in after all my hard work and claiming the glory. Also, if you see a settlement near your target and they are not at war with Spain, give the city to that settlement's flag. They will reward you anyways and you can make a trip for gov or seedlings and score cheeser points.

I do not bother dancing with just anyone anymore. I've learned the plain Janes only give items, heck, I can buy those from the tavern. Attractive women give you the "wanted" people in other cities. Waste of time unless it is a target city of mine anyways. The beautiful women, that's the ones you wanna dance with. They tell you were Raymond is, and also where Montalban is sometimes (Abbotts do the same when you have a relic sometimes).

So, the whole northern Spanish sites are shut down, as well as the Gulf of Mexico (By this time you should have made Duke in some powers, and also have engaged most pirates already, giving you awesome cash flow). No more sailing everywhere looking for the key players, they will always be on the southern main going from Spanish city to Spanish city. I usually take out the western edge to near Rio de la Hacha, but I always leave Maracaibo and eastward alone (I do take out Gibraltar as it is a pain in the arse to sail down there looking for one of the key bad guys.).

DO NOT TURN ON ANYONE until you have gotten Montalban and your relatives. Like I said, you are already a Duke in every power but Spain, and no need to piss them off yet. You should be between yr 10 and 12 by now, you have 8 good years left. Now I start dancing with only beautiful women, and they give me pieces of the 4 lost treasures. Make sure you look in your map and pay attention to what cities have beauties. Find a beauty to marry, the bad guy that keeps them on his ship follows the Spanish trail pattern as well going from only Spanish city to Spanish city. Believe it or not, I think the Spanish women are the "hottest" and I do small favors for Spain getting ready to turn on the other powers, I've even managed to marry one in the game. Usually the lost cities are on the western part of the Carrib, so you can save time from sailing everywhere by being near and finding beauties nearby. It doesn't matter that you are married, they love giving up the poonernanny and pieces of lost cities maps anyways.  ;)

Once you get your relatives and take out Montalban, the lost cities are too easy. After you find all 4, even the beauties will start with the items or "wanted" people as there is nothing left to get. I also noticed that if I already have a full map of a lost relative or Montalban's hideout, they still sail in my limited "area" and I can keep bagging them, that's 3k and 5k a pop! I've also played it out so Mendoza showed up 3 times as he had 3 different girls.

I know there are other plans that can work, I just thought I would give some tips on how I play it out. I've noticed 2 things that suck, IMO. The land AI is crap, I hide my officers in trees, and place my musketeers 1 square behind them or nearby, and the enemy will ALWAYS go for the closest target, except for the Indians sometimes, and the enemy cavalry never cooperates like that, they like to go 3 squares at a time and they look for your musketeers.

Another thing that sucks, and is a bug, is when doing a Gov or immigrant mission or seedlings, I get engaged by 2 ships average at same time. I blast one real good and he surrenders, but still fires at me and attacks me! I've leraned to try to engage them before they get near each other, sort of like when you want a prize and another enemy or pirate is nearby and they get "sucked into the mission" as well as the target vessel (If only we had that kind of luck on SFC OP!).  ;D

Oh yeah, once I'm a Duke? I take out their treasure ships and military payroll ships, you have nothing to lose anymore. I just leave the cities alone until I have all I want, after that, who cares if Spain gets them? You have already bagged all there is to get. Then I fight like Hades for Spain, and you will make Duke well before you are ready to retire.  ;)

My best score (ALL Governor) out of my 3 finished campaigns? 122.