Topic: Serenity Rocks..  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
Serenity Rocks..
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:02:47 pm »
Just got back from the afternoon show.

A few (well one) thing that seemed retconned,  (Simon actually rescued his sister?) but still
a fantastic movie. Will probably see it again.

Only thing I'm not sure of is how well people who have never seen teh show will like it.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Serenity Rocks..
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:51:38 pm »
Good God, I want to see this Movie so bad. I'm watching the Episode war Stories, and I tell you what, every member of the Crew has turned into a Bad Ass. man I love this series.

Hexx you lucky bastard.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 07:04:29 pm »
I'm going tomorrow, and I only saw like five minutes of an episode once...  ;)  I'll let you know...  :)
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:11:13 pm »
I'm going tomorrow, and I only saw like five minutes of an episode once...  ;)  I'll let you know...  :)

<snikers> hey you can If you really wanted too sneak in a Cam Corder... I mean As a Moderator I cannot support that kind of Behavior, and should one Do such a foul thing, all copies should be sent to my home address as Penance.

Stephen of course kidding, I don't support piracy on any level except my own.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 07:26:37 pm »
Like I said.  Forget Star Bores, forget GINO, forget Lost on Gilligan's Island; this is THE great sci-fi franchise out there.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 07:30:37 pm »
Like I said.  Forget Star Bores, forget GINO, forget Lost on Gilligan's Island; this is THE great sci-fi franchise out there.

And you are 100% Correct Ratman. I love this series, and can hardly wait to see the movie myself. What's strange, Is I really didn't care for Joss's Earlier stuff. ( Buffy and the like) But man This just fits right into what I like about SciFi. Shoot, Because of this Series, I'm actually looking forward to the Next Wildarms game.

Stephen the Firefly junkie.

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 06:13:22 pm »
I liked it.  :)

Whedon found a good way of hitting non-Firefly-viewers with the info about the universe we needed without hitting us over the head with it, and did an equally good job of not making us feel lost by expecting us to know much of anything about the series.  I thought it stood on its own very well.

I have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of the "space Western" feel of the movie (and series--actually, that feel is why I only watched five minutes of the episode I sat down to watch), but I have to respect and admire the way he's crafted his universe, and the way it hangs together. 

So, definitely a thumbs-up on the film, and I'll be checking out the series DVD's soon, I think...  :)

Oh, forgot to mention...  Veteran Trek modeller Greg Jein is listed in the credits (who uses models anymore?  :D ), and there's a Forbidden Planet reference that I laughed my ass of at...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 08:07:57 pm by Captain Pierce »
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:25:15 am »
That movie was pretty damned awesome.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 08:14:30 am »
Aaaack!  I missed a thread on Serenity!  I love Firefly, no doubt about it.  I loved the movie too, but I think it was just missing a little bit of the magic that the series had.  As someone else said, perhaps it was because they were aiming too big with the plot.  Perhaps it was a lot of things.  Little things like color schemes on the ship, the suspenders being different, little items that just seemed to be trying hard to be "sci-fi" rather than practical items that could even exist in todays world, or times gone by.  Things like the Captain's suspenders.  Also, Khalee needed to eat a few more cheeseburgers before they started filming.  Now don't get me wrong.  She's an attractive girl, no doubt about it, but she just didn't seem right.  Also it seemed like the hair and makeup crew weren't briefed on the look of Firefly, because it appeared to me as though all the ladies had just been to a salon or something.  Oh, well.

OK, because I got nabbed for this a while ago.  If you haven't seen the movie yet, and any of the following my even slightly have the potential to count as a spoiler:

SPOILER... SPOILER... SPOILER ALERT!!!

Also, it seemed like they changed a few things from the series, like when the Captain tells Simon that he's not a part of the crew, but that had all been covered in several episodes of Firefly (as well as what would happen to Jane if he went behind the Captain's back and tried to turn in Simon and River so why was he going after River to take her for a little "shuttle ride"?).  I think they could totally have told the overall story just as well if they had gone with what had come before rather than changing the behaviours of the folks onboard Serenity.

So it was a bunch of little things that stole some of the shine, but overall it was a great movie.  Good enough that I went to see it twice at full price.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 12:32:05 am »
Sadly enough, I willing to bet there will be no sequel made to this movie.

It's flopping big time at the box office.

Tis a shame really, since it's probably the best movie that's out in the theaters currently...at least of the one's I've seen recently.

perhaps they should have had a more aggressive advertising campaign.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 07:26:12 am »
The series flopped too. Then it sold like 8 bajillion DVD sets.

Time will tell.
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 09:48:24 am »
perhaps they should have had a more aggressive advertising campaign.

Heh, I mentioned this earlier.  I saw a bunch of cardboard crates and a big poster that said "Blue Sun" above it and some chines characters underneath which I would assume to be the name blue sun in chinese.  I laughed with joy when I saw it, but the lady taking the tickets had no idea what it was for.  It had not one reference to to Serenity at all.  Just "Blue Sun".  Now here's the kicker.  Blue Sun isn't really even a part of the movie!  At least not one that's mentioned vocally.  For the fans of Firefly it's great (even though it wasn't mentioned much in firefly, just a planned thing for the future) but for getting folks into the seats, it was HORRIBLE!  Oh, well.

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 11:25:38 pm »
The movie has made over half its production costs at the theater and I guarantee large DVD sales.  There are plenty of "flops" that get sequals.  The problem being, Joss tied up all of the important loose ends from the series except for Book's past.  Really no new territory to explore, though I certainly hope for more.

By the way, Whedon absolutely ROCKS. 

Check out  www.whedonesque.com for all things Joss.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 09:42:41 am »
The movie has made over half its production costs at the theater and I guarantee large DVD sales.  There are plenty of "flops" that get sequals.  The problem being, Joss tied up all of the important loose ends from the series except for Book's past.  Really no new territory to explore, though I certainly hope for more.

He also killed off a good portion of his continuing character crew members.   (Not gonna say which ones here.....)  Man, what was up with that?

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 02:12:44 pm »
That, my friend, was Joss Whedon.  If you get a chance sometime, check out the last episode of Angel.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 06:13:19 pm »
That last episode was great...right up until the cliffhanger...which never is answered...
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 07:47:51 pm »
That last episode was great...right up until the cliffhanger...which never is answered...

What was the line..

"I want the dragon.."
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 09:20:53 pm »
Actually, it was "Well, personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon. Let's go to work."

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2005, 07:21:21 pm »
Both the series and the Movie rocked.  The beginning was funny.

River could take that guy in a heartbeat.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 09:30:54 pm »
That, my friend, was Joss Whedon.  If you get a chance sometime, check out the last episode of Angel.

Oh, I much prefer stories where no one is safe; but it's easiest to kill off continuing charcters in a final episode.  Does that mean Mr. Whedon meant for this to be the "last" episode of Serenity?

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell