Topic: New features for Nemesis Special Edition DVD announced  (Read 6447 times)

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
Re: New features for Nemesis Special Edition DVD announced
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 09:32:56 am »
Nemesis was simply disappointing as it had the Romulans (perhaps the last bad guys in Star Trek)
basically unable to get their act together unless led by a Picard clone and some crazy ex-slaves.

Oddly enough I don't consider it as a bad movie so much as a really bad story.

<S'Cipio becomes Scipio again, sheds his scales, and grows points on his ears.>

I'm growing angry here.   The senate and the praetor have gotten soft!  Here they are discussing trade agreements instead of declaring war on the Federation.

<bangs fist on table>

Why aren't they declaring war on the Federation?!

<bangs fist again!>

We want war!  We want war now!!!!  Kill Feds!!  Kill Feds!!!  Kill Feds!!!!

I know!  We'll kill the Praetor and the senate!  We'll sneak in a bomb that turns them all to ash and wipe them out!   That's it!  We'll take down the entire government structure!  Then we'll seize power and do what we want!

NO WAIT!  Even better!  We'll turn over the empire to a human clone and his bunch of aliens that we consider expendable subromulans!  Yeah that's it!  Big, ugly, Ron Perlman type subromulans that we can't respect will be given control over us and they will lead us to glory!!!  Wooo hooo!!!!

<weeks pass>

Hey!  That bald-headed geek isn't declaring war on the Federation!  Doesn't he know why we put him in charge?  Why isnt' he declaring war on the Federation?  Why is he playing footsie with Deanna Troi?  Why is he dumping a data head with a faint signal onto a distant planet that the Enterprise likely wno't even notice (unless we get really lucky) because it's almost out of range?  Now that he has the Enterprise here, why isn't he declaring war on the Federation?

<bangs fist on table>

What's taking so bloody long?   We want war!  We want war now!!!!  Kill Feds!!!!  Kill Feds!!!!!  Kill all Feds!!!!!!!!!

<bangs fist again>

Right, that does it.  Our patience is at an end.  If this clone geek and his subromulans aren't going to declare war on the Feds fast enough to suit us, then we are just going to have to kill him and save Picard's ass at the same time.

<fires a lot of weapons, then watches Picard ram his own clone.>

Hah!  He's dead!  All our war obstacles are out of our way!  This time we'll do it RIGHT!  This time we'll seize power ourselves, and then we'll.................. talk to the Federation and make peace.

Hey, didn't we start this whole thing because we wanted a war?

Oh well, pass the peace pipe brother.  <puff> <puff> <give> <puff> <puff> <give>  Hey!  don't screw up the rotation!

-Scipio (Not S'Cipio)
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 03:04:03 pm »
Pics of the menus and clips from deleted scenes over at DVD Answers.

Includes our first ever look at the Enterprise-E's version of Ten Forward and Worf "inheriting" Spot.

"I will feed him."

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2005, 01:53:19 am »
Data's death wasn't the only thing in that movie borrowed from other Trek flicks.  Anybody else say this line in their head when Riker got rid of the Viceroy?  "I..(kick)...am getting...(kick)...sick...(kick)...and tired...(kick)...of...(meaningful pause)...YOU!!!!"
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2005, 02:26:08 am »
I think the Gorn nailed it.  The movie on it's own... not bad.  The movie as a Trek movie SUCKS!!!!  First off, why on god's green earth would the romulans go all that way and then half of them settle on a rock that is so hostile, that one side is always facing the sun, and the other is in darkness (that is the same side always faces it, for those of you who are picking things apart, since all planets tend to have one side facing a sun, and one side facing away. ;))  Where the heck did these Remans come from?  Whose lame brained idea was that?  Ooooh, let's make scary vampire people.  They don't even really have the structure of a Romulan, assuming they are supposed to be from the same stock (which I hope they aren't).  I haven't read any of the books, by the way, but then again they say that the books aren't canon anyway.

The possability of them being from the same stock brings me to one of the great travesties of modern Trek.  Romulan Forehead Ridges!  I feel my heart beating faster already.  What the heck?  Not only did we have a whole episode through which the whole subtension was based on the fact that they look EXACTLY like Vulcans, but given the life cycle of Vulcans, their length of life and whatnot, how much longer would it take to create such a drastic facial change in the population?  Hmmmmm.  I see a problem, given Trek history and when they left Vulcan to colonize elsewhere.  All that aside, what was really, really cool about the Romulans was that they were just like Vulcans.  They could in fact be the Vulcan standing next to you, whereas the opposite would be much more difficult.  Can you see Vulcans acting emotionally just to fit in as a spy?  Hmmmm.  (here's a thought, that I had after an episode I saw a while back.  Where do pudgy Vulcans come from?  Wouldn't logic dictate that they eat a healthier amount of food and get more exercise?  Shouldn't they be more selective in their actors?  They've got to start somewhere).

The Romulans now are pathetic (as per the above outline posted above, of the most rediculous plot imaginable involvingr Romulans).  I was so excited when I heard that finally the Romulans were going to get a major movie appearance and not be window dressing.  Ooops.  They were still window dressing, even in a movie that was supposed to be about them.  Instead we get Shinzon, lord of the Nosferatu like vampire people.  I didn't see this movie for a very long time.  In fact I just checked it out from the library the other day, because I couldn't bear to part with any cash in order to see it.  I had mixed emotions.  Not a horrible movie on it's own, but a travesty for anyone who has even a mild liking of Romulans.  S'Cipio is so right in his post.  The guys who came up with this whole thing should be punished in a very public way.  No wonder Trek is going through such hard times.  They just don't give a rat's butt about history, the fans expectations, or anything.  Let them make their own shows if they want to tell something that doesn't fit (heck they could have even created a new race like in Insurrection in order to tell the story. I guess we should just count ourselves lucky that they didn't have saggy skinned Gorn or Andorians in that one. ;))  Of course after the relatively poor performance of that movie, I think they were probably tied to using "major" Trek race for the followup, no matter what story they decided to go with.

I was also wondering why they don't have any kind of bomb, or biological agent scanners in the Romulan senate.  Heck you sneeze in any room on the Enterprise and an alarm goes off.  It's not like they should have had to walk through anything, it should have just sensed something dangerous was in the room, shouldn't it?  I mean it's the freaking Senate!  The seat of power for the entire Empire.

The plus to having watched it, though, was that I decided to sit down and knock out a little Trek music on my computer.  I've got some cleaning on it to do and a few more sections, but I've been really enjoying listening to it.

Now I'll stop posting and go back to dreaming of the days when Romulans had no ridges, and were actually intelligent warriors of honor, instead of the weak, moronic mutants we are now presented with on a regular basis.  And to think of all the fantasies I could have had about Dina Meyer in "real" Romulan makeup and dress, instead of looking like a washed out troglodyte.  Oh, well.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2005, 09:14:19 am »
[quote[First Contact nicked the music from Final Frontier, as well as playing about with the "history" created by the Reeves Stevens in their book "Federation".

That book isn't canon, though. ;D

*hides from the Jaeih monster*
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight