Topic: Oh Baby..  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
Oh Baby..
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:27:39 pm »
I know it's been said before.. but I just had my first time with the
webmap ship purchase thing.. and it was sweet...

Frickin awesome job Bonk!

Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
Re: Oh Baby..
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 11:52:36 pm »
Yup Bonk's webmaps features  totally rock  :rwoot:

762_XC

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 12:41:14 am »
Sounds like Hexx is ready for a smoke.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 12:45:37 am »
It Rocks.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 12:54:24 am »
For those that do not know about this feature...

ALL ships are still available in the shipyards in the game just like every past server. The webmap shipyard is an additional shipyard resource where EVERY ship is available ALWAYS. So if you cant find it in the shipyads and dont want to wait 2 or 3 shipyard cycles for it to appear, just login to the webmap shipyard and bid on one there. Then go back into the game and you will see your ship appear in the shipyards with your bid already on it. Once the shipyard cycles, its yours.

Bases cannot be bought on the webmap shipyard, only ships.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 06:40:02 am »
LINK!!!!!!!!
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 07:40:48 am »
I'm really begining to think Bonk's issues lay in advertising..
Fortunately people just love reading anything I put down..

http://www.dynaverse.net/webmap_sg_sql/

Now- you have to go to the "shipyards" and then enter what
the name you're using on the server is, as well as the email account you used to
sign in with that name (on the server)

Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 10:05:06 am »

:rofl:

True on both accounts. truly a mystery to me though... ;)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 10:30:12 am »

Maybe you should put a billboard into your sig that says "Try Hexx, It's As Good As J'inn Without All The Fees and Paperwork"

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 11:28:55 am »
A note about webmap ships. They seem to come up with names like "HMCS Webmap." If you don't want to look like a dork, remember to rename you ship before flying it.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 12:06:02 pm »
A note about webmap ships. They seem to come up with names like "HMCS Webmap." If you don't want to look like a dork, remember to rename you ship before flying it.

:rofl:

Hey! What's wrong with "HMCS Webmap" for a shipname? It's not dorky at all!  :P  (Say I, currently flying as HanoverFist piloting the LocNar... ;))

It was too much work (and system resources) to setup the webmap to read the shipnames.txt file as well. (Its pushing the limits of php to open the nearly 3MB OP+4 shiplist as it is).

The only trick with the webmap ships is the object IDs used. They are selected to be out of range of the db IDs as a few versions back the kit was programmed to only update object IDs in the database every 10 seconds, thus preventing the use of contiguous IDs by external applications or scripts. I hope to have this changed back to the way it was before in the next build of the serverkit, so that object IDs in the database will remain in order.

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 12:40:55 pm »
Did you consider pulling a copy of shipnames.txt and just having it read that independently of the serverkit?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 12:49:16 pm »
Did you consider pulling a copy of shipnames.txt and just having it read that independently of the serverkit?

Yes, like I said, too much bother for just the shipname, and the script already has to manage a nearly 3MB text file which pushes the limits of php scripting. (its looking at a copy of the shiplist separate from the server stored in the webserver withthe webmap itself... oops, that reminds me, I need to update the webmap copy to the current list...)

Offline KBF-SkullnBonez

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 12:50:23 pm »
so let me get this straight, any ship in the shiplist that is currently in service will be available to be purchased at any time?

so no more checking the shipyards to see if your favorite ship is there?

so no more knocking an enemy pilot out of a rare ship and having the satisfaction of knowing he won't be jumping right back into one?

so no more variety, everyone will be flying the best of the best all the time?

hmmm, technically a great job bonk, not sure if its actually good for the dyna though.....just my opinion of course
I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older. Then it dawned on me; they are cramming for their finals.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 12:55:23 pm »
so let me get this straight, any ship in the shiplist that is currently in service will be available to be purchased at any time?

so no more checking the shipyards to see if your favorite ship is there?

so no more knocking an enemy pilot out of a rare ship and having the satisfaction of knowing he won't be jumping right back into one?

so no more variety, everyone will be flying the best of the best all the time?

hmmm, technically a great job bonk, not sure if its actually good for the dyna though.....just my opinion of course

I can limit ships by class and individually. It is a step in the development of a full OoB interface to limit ships to an OoB. Which should address your concerns for its ultimate use. However many absolutely hate the idea of an OoB and love BB fests (I'm not one of them)

GDA-Kel had a setup for EAW using an IRC interface that allowed purchase of any ship in game, I was quite impressed with it.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 01:00:59 pm »
If you die, you have to alt-tab out of OP or qiut and then login to the webyards (forevermore known as the 'webyards, I coin the term  ;D) find your ship, bid on it. It then appears in the shipyards of OP. Wait for the shipyards to cycle and you have your ship.

So you are still down 6-12 mins of a turn or less. But you dont have to wait forever to get a ship anymore. I never liked the chance of finding your ship in the yards having to wait and wait... or even a decent one. Casual players sometimes never get a good ship. They arnt on long enough to find one. And they dont play. The other problem is that it penalizes players who get killed a lot.

Only downside I see is they get on the front lines a bit quicker. And thats great by me, I get to kill them faster.

Offline KBF-SkullnBonez

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 01:09:10 pm »

I can limit ships by class and individually. It is a step in the development of a full OoB interface to limit ships to an OoB. Which should address your concerns for its ultimate use. However many absolutely hate the idea of an OoB and love BB fests (I'm not one of them)

GDA-Kel had a setup for EAW using an IRC interface that allowed purchase of any ship in game, I was quite impressed with it.

This feature linked with an OoB =  :rwoot:
I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older. Then it dawned on me; they are cramming for their finals.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 01:20:09 pm »
This feature linked with an OoB =  :rwoot:

Thats where I'm headed with this, but I have been sidetracked many times since. I actually had a start on it but its been a while since I have been at it.

Have you noticed the four new columns at the end of the shiplist in OP+4? ;)  I do intend to put them to use with the OoB interface, I gave FireSoul some feedback on what to add, hopefully he's not too irritated no one has actually used it yet. I know he put a lot of work into it.

Once done, I'll turn off the internal yards on the server (can stop production of everything but bases it seems) then the only new ships available will be managed by the OoB interface.

Trick is, all this requires an SQL server stable under load. We're working on the kit itself and getting closer I hope. (if not there already).

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 01:30:03 pm »
If you die, you have to alt-tab out of OP or qiut and then login to the webyards (forevermore known as the 'webyards, I coin the term  ;D) find your ship, bid on it. It then appears in the shipyards of OP. Wait for the shipyards to cycle and you have your ship.

So you are still down 6-12 mins of a turn or less. But you dont have to wait forever to get a ship anymore. I never liked the chance of finding your ship in the yards having to wait and wait... or even a decent one. Casual players sometimes never get a good ship. They arnt on long enough to find one. And they dont play. The other problem is that it penalizes players who get killed a lot.

Only downside I see is they get on the front lines a bit quicker. And thats great by me, I get to kill them faster.

Actually Dizzy, you can just go into a shipyard while on your new base or planet after your ship died, and right click ANY ship in the shipyard.  Once there, you go to desktop, open the webship list, purchase the ship you want, and return to your game.  Wait till the turn changes to show your new ship as yours, and you are good to go.  You lose only about 1-2 minutes, get to fly a mission or 2, and then your new ship is there.  No closing and re-opening of the game needed.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 02:05:59 pm »
Thats like alt tabbing. Whatever tickles your fancy.