Topic: Is the Dynaverse Shutting down???  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Bad_Lands

• Ensign
Is the Dynaverse Shutting down???
« on: August 25, 2005, 08:09:22 am »
is the Dynaverse Shutting down? or is it just down for maintenace?
 IT has been down for over 24 hours Has anyone Heard anything on this?

Thank you Bad_Lands

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Is the Dynaverse Shutting down???
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 08:13:11 am »
Heck no. I'll give frey a call, But I think he is in the process of Doing some upgrades to the various servers. As a Matter of fact, he has alot of new things planned for the Dyna. I know You all want to get back on, But please have abit more patience. He's working hard, and the Dyna will still be here 20 years from now.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 08:34:39 am »
I made a huge error. I just got off the phone with Frey, and It turns out, we don't controll the D3 servers. He is going to try and get ahold of his contacts in activision and see about being able to host them. I apoligise for my previous post, as I was mistaken.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 03:03:54 am »
So Dynaverse.net might also gain control of the D3 access servers?  So that means Cr*pivision can't do much anymore to hinder the community.  I wonder if the CD Key check could be disabled once the D3 access servers are controlled by dynaverse.net.  Hmmm....the possibilities are endless.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 08:06:07 am »
So Dynaverse.net might also gain control of the D3 access servers?  So that means Cr*pivision can't do much anymore to hinder the community.  I wonder if the CD Key check could be disabled once the D3 access servers are controlled by dynaverse.net.  Hmmm....the possibilities are endless.

Right Now, It's still in discussion. I know Frey is trying Via Talks to get everything Over to here. However, It is taking an amount of Legerdemain and Prayers to get Paramount and activision to the table. As I understand It though, The DGA is working hard to Keep It going. Unfortunatly, There has been alot of damage done VIA a forum member who's name will go unmentioned. (Cough WT Cough)

Stephen

Offline GarrethMacLeod

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Alternate B Website
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 09:08:28 am »
I'm curious. Just what would having the D3 access server being run by dynaverse.net (or whatever name it goes by for this stuff) do for the D3 community? While Activision has not played very nice with some things (one patch policy comes to mind and really irritates me), they have said in the past on more than one occasion that they will continue to run the access server. When an issue comes up with the access server, Dan Hagerty is fairly quick to respond to the D3 Admins group on yahoo, letting us know what is going on and how quickly it will be resolved.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it shouldn't be persued. I'm just wondering what the D3 gains from this endeavor. Because I suspect that a patch of some type would be needed to get the game to "find" the dynaverse access server if the change is made. Having to install another patch may alienate some players. Lord knows we've lost enough already.
Alternate B Chief Map Drone and General Whipping Boy
http://www.AlternateB.org

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 05:09:47 am »
I'm curious. Just what would having the D3 access server being run by dynaverse.net (or whatever name it goes by for this stuff) do for the D3 community? While Activision has not played very nice with some things (one patch policy comes to mind and really irritates me), they have said in the past on more than one occasion that they will continue to run the access server. When an issue comes up with the access server, Dan Hagerty is fairly quick to respond to the D3 Admins group on yahoo, letting us know what is going on and how quickly it will be resolved.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it shouldn't be persued. I'm just wondering what the D3 gains from this endeavor. Because I suspect that a patch of some type would be needed to get the game to "find" the dynaverse access server if the change is made. Having to install another patch may alienate some players. Lord knows we've lost enough already.

Hey that's a Good And fair analysis. Too be honest, I like Dan myself. I think he's a stand up guy. I would just like to see everything under one roof so to speak.

Stephen

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 05:16:04 pm »
If a patch is indeed needed, if the access servers are turned over to the DGA, then perhaps, with some persuasive negotiations, we could finally wrangle an official patch out of Activision, and more than just a mere re-directional patch to the new access server location, but an actual game patch.  I know I know, long shot, and keep dreaming, but hey, as many like to say, nothing is impossible. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Just send me the bill...
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 05:53:04 pm »
I would seriously doubt if Activision could even possibly put out an 'official' patch at this stage, unless they approached it from a very unorthodox method, or go the easy route and reclassify an old one. No, I doubt they'd even consider it, let alone put any kind of effort into finally creating an official patch.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 08:23:05 pm »
Very true.  It would be nice though if it happened.

Offline interloper

• DAZED AND CONFUSED, SNAFU
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • mines are loaded and the motor is redlined
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 01:25:20 pm »
okay been a week or so, so what is the latest?
Remembering U of I #40, Always in our hearts and minds
"don't think you understand what I told you until I tell you what you understand! Do you understand what I am saying?"
OF ALL THINGS LOST I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.......    ?

"What is the vector victor?"
"Rodger, roger."
"I picked a helluva day to quit drinking"

ITS ALL MIND OVER MATTER, IF YOU DON'T MIND IT DON'T MATTER

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 12:19:11 pm »
Activision still maintains and will continue to maintain the D3 access servers. They were just down for a day while they shuffled servers around.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 06:10:01 pm »
NO!!!  YOU LIE!!!  THE ACCESS SERVERS ARE COMING UNDER OUR CONTROL!!  I KNOW IT!!  I JUST KNOW IT!!!  *breaks down in tears*

:-D  J/K